Author Topic: TDI VE water pump  (Read 4822 times)

November 29, 2014, 08:57:51 am

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
TDI VE water pump
« on: November 29, 2014, 08:57:51 am »
Just a heads up to cover your ears as I am midway gutting the engine to get at the GENUINE VW water pump that has the Lego plastic impeller that has fallen off. Consensus of the internet is it is mainly a petrol / gas engine problem, aint necessarily so, sadly.

Surprised at the symptoms, heater stopped working, which was the main thing, then when the temp gauge started to rise on hills, I got out to check there was coolant, fine not a drop missing, I would have thought that the temp sender was playing up, and the servo motor on the climatronic had gone belly up, but at the same time was suspicious. One heater hose hot and the other stone cold was the giveaway, as that means coolant isn't moving.

Fortunately I have an AA relay card, and a pub nearby to sit and wait in comfort to get the car towed home.

A good tip is to pull the thermostat and feel the pump impeller through the hole, mine was no longer attached to the shaft, so no doubts.

My sympathies to others doing this job as it is a right mare. My idi tools don't fit the can lock, the injection pump just needs a 6mm drill bit to lock,
and please kick to death whoever thought a five spoke camwheel is a good idea, as it will defeat any normal puller, grr!

Wish me luck. ::)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 03:02:01 pm by smutts »

Reply #1November 29, 2014, 10:27:04 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: TDI VE water pump
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 10:27:04 am »
I assume your car is an ALH or else that degree of moaning is completely unwarranted.

WRT the number of cam spokes, luckily you don't need to use a puller on the cam sprocket.  Use a pulley holder on the cam while loosening the bolt and back the bolt off a turn or so.  Drill the plastic backing plate in the pre-marked spot and use a punch on the edge of the sprocket.  Easy peasy.

Unless the timing belt is new I would do it all at the same time with the water pump, including the two three idlers and the tensioner.  Replace the single use bolts. 

I look forward to your comments about the belt going around the mount...

Replace all the single-use bolts...

Reply #2November 29, 2014, 06:16:01 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 06:16:01 pm »
I look forward to your comments about the belt going around the mount...
;D

Comments probably not printable, it was only a matter of time once Peugeot thought of that one 30 odd years ago that VW borrowed it.

If you want to find the manufacturing date of the vw pump, I found mine on the underside of the plastic impeller where it can't be seen, unless you are fortunate with it having fallen off the shaft. mine has 2005, which makes the garage stamp and reciept for changing the belt and pump in 2013, a bit essence of cow.

Sorry to whinge, but I am just a moaning old fart, missing his mk2 golf GTD. (which also had a plastic impeller which didn't fall off in 25 years  ;))

Reply #3November 30, 2014, 04:38:11 am

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 04:38:11 am »
Whoever did the last timing belt has also damaged the stud for the tensioner, threads are nearly stripped, so I am done with only doing the waterpump.  :P

Reply #4December 05, 2014, 05:54:23 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 05:54:23 pm »
Just for those who are wondering, the motor is the ASV, the engine mount is a bloody awkward thing, and the motor hasn't grenaded yet with this weeks 660 miles of commute. The tensioner pully nut  torque spec is only 15 ftlb, which scares me, but the expected loud clunk bang rattle has not happened..............yet. ;D

Reply #5December 06, 2014, 10:11:19 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 10:11:19 am »
Good job getting it going.  We did not get the ASV.  I assume it is very similar to the ALH.  The 15 ft-lbs is a little surprising when you are used to the 1.6 engines, but the fastener size has been reduced from the M10 used on the 1.6 engines to M8. 

Reply #6December 07, 2014, 09:46:21 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 09:46:21 pm »
The ASV most likely has the spring-loaded tensioner like the AHU etc did I'm guessing - that removes most of the force from the tensioner hub as there's now a spring involved in the tensioner. 
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #7April 03, 2015, 06:48:18 am

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 06:48:18 am »
The following was one of the better guides on the internet, good luck with that pig of an engine mount design,  :-X
www.tdiclub.com/articles/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf

Reply #8July 04, 2015, 05:47:48 am

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 05:47:48 am »
Sorry for not leaving this one to die a natural death..............

One thing I didn,t mention when trying to diagnose the failed pump which might save someone grief..............

When the engine was idling, the heater worked fine. The dribbler, piddler, or whatever it is called, to the spherical coolant bottle also was running fine.
But when the engine was revved to above 2000 rpm the hot air from the heater went cold, and the coolant return piddler stopped.

It seems that the slipping plastic impeller can catch back on the shaft at low rpm which can make diagnosing tricky, as you can't rev the engine on your own with your head stuck in the engine bay. Unless you have help, or a couple of bricks on the accelerator pedal.

Thanks to the tow truck guy knowing about this, saved me a lot of grief. He well earned his beer tokens. ;D

My GUESS is that IF you are careful, keep the rpm to a max of 1500, WATCH THE GAUGE, not climbing steep hills, and the impeller decides to be nice to you, you might be able to limp home with it. Best of all have hot air coming out of the vents, the moment that goes cold, the impeller is slipping again, and you have run out of luck. PARK UP, and get towed. :(

« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 05:57:57 am by smutts »

Reply #9November 08, 2016, 03:35:48 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 03:35:48 pm »
Please paste "Holy Thread Revival, Batman!" as required. ;D

Still working fine 40,000 miles later. :)

S-PAutomotive.com