Author Topic: Injector pump value?  (Read 1605 times)

November 23, 2014, 08:25:32 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

Injector pump value?
« on: November 23, 2014, 08:25:32 pm »
Hey, I got 2 pumps with a motor I recently bought but I doubt they work. Anyone know of a way I can bench test them? I'm curious if they'd have any value for core/rebuilding?  I'm also not sure what engine (turbo or non-turbo) they are for.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:38:46 pm by RunninWild »

Reply #1November 23, 2014, 08:55:00 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: Injector pump value?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:55:00 pm »
Both are 1.6NA. The one with the rod on the back is newer and has the fast idle feature. I'd say $75 and $50 at a minimum provided that they aren't gunked up. You can swap them pretty easily onto your engine and test them. Should only take about 1-2 hour each (depending on skill level and tools at hand)
Tyler

Reply #2November 23, 2014, 08:57:45 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 08:57:45 pm »
my engine is in pieces and has no vehicle as of yet to go into. I'm planning on swapping a td into my suzuki samurai, was originally planning on a 1.6td but I have a brand new oem aaz head so I may sell off my block and parts pile and try and find a aaz block.

I can turn the pulley by hand on both pumps, is that a good sign for not gunked up?

Any chance youd have any idea what a used garret t3 turbo with no play in the shaft would be worth?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:59:17 pm by RunninWild »

Reply #3November 23, 2014, 10:02:11 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 10:02:11 pm »
By gunked up he means internally with the little vanes that push the fuel around and the piston in the back that builds the pressure.  Oh, and all the little pieces that tend to get a coating on the metal from years of non use.  Only way to tell if they kind of work is fill them up, hook up an input and output fuel line and run a drill on the front nut. 

These things turn at half the revolutions of the engine so getting one to spin at 500 rpm is good enough most times.  You are looking for little short spurts of diesel coming out the check valves in the back of the pump.  cover with a clear jar or plastic to keep it from flying all over the place, because that is what it will do.

Fixmyvw.com