Model Specific Questions and Info > MK4 Jetta/Golf and B5.5 Passat

Torque Converter lock-up toggle switch?

(1/4) > >>

jaed_43725:
Can it be done on a 2000 Jetta TDI, if so how? I actually need to do this, so any specific information would be really awesome.

vanbcguy:
Very much doubt it. Lockup is controlled by the transmission control module; electronic transmissions tend not to like it when you do things they aren't expecting.

What's your reason for wanting this?

jaed_43725:
Reason is simple. It is the solenoid that is causing the shudder issue when the car is cold. It thinks it needs to engage early. I know a lot of Ford and Dodge guys did this on slightly older trans. Using a switch I can just toggle it off when idle or just going down the street. But get above say 35 to get on a highway or stretch of road without a stop and you engage it.

vanbcguy:
Yeah the older North American transmissions bear no resemblance to the 01M in your TDI whatsoever. Those older transmissions tended to be hydraulic with an electric torque converter lockup, that's easy enough to override. The newer transmissions are much more integrated with their electronics and won't react well to messing with the converter lockup.

Are you sure that's what's causing your shudder? There's a fair number of "ALH shudder" threads over on TDIclub, but the torque converter lockup has never been the cause that I'm aware of.

theman53:

--- Quote from: vanbcguy on November 23, 2014, 11:33:56 pm ---Yeah the older North American transmissions bear no resemblance to the 01M in your TDI whatsoever. Those older transmissions tended to be hydraulic with an electric torque converter lockup, that's easy enough to override. The newer transmissions are much more integrated with their electronics and won't react well to messing with the converter lockup.

Are you sure that's what's causing your shudder? There's a fair number of "ALH shudder" threads over on TDIclub, but the torque converter lockup has never been the cause that I'm aware of.

--- End quote ---
That and as soon as you look at that 01M it can start the slipping. My car is an 02J recipient that started its life as an auto.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version