Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Torque Converter lock-up toggle switch?  (Read 12846 times)

November 22, 2014, 12:42:09 pm

jaed_43725

Torque Converter lock-up toggle switch?
« on: November 22, 2014, 12:42:09 pm »
Can it be done on a 2000 Jetta TDI, if so how? I actually need to do this, so any specific information would be really awesome.

Reply #1November 22, 2014, 01:53:53 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Torque Converter lock-up toggle switch?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 01:53:53 pm »
Very much doubt it. Lockup is controlled by the transmission control module; electronic transmissions tend not to like it when you do things they aren't expecting.

What's your reason for wanting this?
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2November 22, 2014, 01:58:52 pm

jaed_43725

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 01:58:52 pm »
Reason is simple. It is the solenoid that is causing the shudder issue when the car is cold. It thinks it needs to engage early. I know a lot of Ford and Dodge guys did this on slightly older trans. Using a switch I can just toggle it off when idle or just going down the street. But get above say 35 to get on a highway or stretch of road without a stop and you engage it.

Reply #3November 23, 2014, 11:33:56 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 11:33:56 pm »
Yeah the older North American transmissions bear no resemblance to the 01M in your TDI whatsoever. Those older transmissions tended to be hydraulic with an electric torque converter lockup, that's easy enough to override. The newer transmissions are much more integrated with their electronics and won't react well to messing with the converter lockup.

Are you sure that's what's causing your shudder? There's a fair number of "ALH shudder" threads over on TDIclub, but the torque converter lockup has never been the cause that I'm aware of.
Bryn

Reply #4November 24, 2014, 06:57:44 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 06:57:44 pm »
Yeah the older North American transmissions bear no resemblance to the 01M in your TDI whatsoever. Those older transmissions tended to be hydraulic with an electric torque converter lockup, that's easy enough to override. The newer transmissions are much more integrated with their electronics and won't react well to messing with the converter lockup.

Are you sure that's what's causing your shudder? There's a fair number of "ALH shudder" threads over on TDIclub, but the torque converter lockup has never been the cause that I'm aware of.
That and as soon as you look at that 01M it can start the slipping. My car is an 02J recipient that started its life as an auto.

Reply #5December 01, 2014, 01:54:28 pm

jaed_43725

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 01:54:28 pm »
So does anyone know what wire I need to put the toggle on?

Reply #6December 01, 2014, 02:12:44 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 02:12:44 pm »
You're not getting it... You can't just arbitrarily change operating parameters in an electronically controlled transmission like this.
Bryn

Reply #7December 01, 2014, 03:01:27 pm

jaed_43725

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 03:01:27 pm »
OK. That's what I needed to know, was that it just can't be done because it will cause havoc.

I am certain that VW hires only failing grade dropouts. Between 4 different diesel Jetta's I have found nothing but poor engineering in one way or another. And nothing they do is standard. Always trying to be a snowflake.

Reply #8January 16, 2015, 03:23:46 am

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 03:23:46 am »
Poor engineering in what sense?  Not trying to be a smart ass. I am just curious.

Reply #9January 16, 2015, 03:24:08 am

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 03:24:08 am »
Poor engineering in what sense?  Not trying to be a smart ass. I am just curious.

Reply #10January 16, 2015, 11:04:54 am

jaed_43725

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 11:04:54 am »

The trans for instance are made from the beginning with inferior metal. The valve bodies of them are complex and electronically controlled, and I am talking about in the MK3 even. There are years and years and many examples of how to properly build a trans, and yet they completely ignored every single thing else just to make a failure. For example how often does a GM 700R4 fail? Very very little in comparison. All they had to do was get a little intellectual property from GM, Ford, BMW or even their big trucks such as Mann. Then adapt how those work and what materials they are made from and make a good trans. But they didnt.

Reply #11January 16, 2015, 01:21:27 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 01:21:27 pm »
With the automatic transmissions I sort of think it's a case of VW just not caring.  Germans are much more likely to buy manuals; automatics are for the North American market.  When your home market doesn't respect automatics chances are the engineers don't really care either - I see VW as trying to just make it as cheaply as possible to meet a market need in one of those "foreign" markets (being the US more than anything).  The smartest thing they did was start buying transmissions from other companies that actually know how to make them.
Bryn

Reply #12January 16, 2015, 01:43:40 pm

jaed_43725

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 01:43:40 pm »
Ya, outsourcing the trans after the failure of the 09A was the best thing they could have done. The DSG is pretty good though, but not really an auto.

Reply #13February 17, 2015, 02:48:14 pm

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 02:48:14 pm »

The trans for instance are made from the beginning with inferior metal. The valve bodies of them are complex and electronically controlled, and I am talking about in the MK3 even. There are years and years and many examples of how to properly build a trans, and yet they completely ignored every single thing else just to make a failure. For example how often does a GM 700R4 fail? Very very little in comparison.

What tranny parts had "inferior metal" that caused them to fail? It seems to me that most of the 01M issues are line pressure related.

ALL late trannies have complex electronically controlled valve bodies. VW is no different.

700R4s had horrible problems when they were new. Almost as bad as the 200C. All for the same reason. They were designed to be "just good enough" instead of good. GM smartened up and fixed the problem, BUT automatics are 95% of the market here. That is why GM outsources sticks. The same reason why VW outsources automajics. They don't sell many at home.

Fuel economy is the real culprit along with HVN. They make everything as light as possible and design it to limit parasitic losses. Trans pumps eat a little HP and therefore fuel. Its is wasteful to pump extra ATF and dump is out the bypass. UNTIL things get a little worn and the pump no longer has enough capacity to keep the line pressure up. The other issue is the "Mush-o-Matic shifts. These things use lots of overlap on even hard shifts to make them more smooth shifting. I have also read that the TCC is designed to slip a bit on hard shifts to limit HVN. Almost all of this is remediable. Why is no one selling TCM reprogramming?

Reply #14February 18, 2015, 11:13:51 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 11:13:51 am »
The valve body on the 01M was made out of inferior metal - they wore out prematurely which is what ends up causing a lot of the problems with them.  One of the 'fixes' is to bore out the pistons and install oversized ones, that makes the valve body live for another while.  The wear is what starts causing line pressure problems, since fluid is leaking around the pistons.  It is also why valve body replacements are so common on the 01M.
Bryn