General Information > User's ride Wall

81 Rabbit LS AAZ (2023: now tdi-m)

<< < (2/28) > >>

RabbitJockey:
Here was one issue i ran into, one of the glow plugs had been cross threaded into the hole, and then tightened down very hard, plus since it was cross threaded, the glow plug never sealed to its seat at the bottom of the hole, so there was a compression leak and tons of carbon build up on the threads.  Luckily i was able to borrow the correct bottom tap (m12x1.25) and was able to clean up the threads, it was very scary because i could have easily ruined the head at that point but with some patients, a steady hand, and triple checking all the angles i was able to get into the original threads with the tap and everything turned out just as great as could be for such a situation

and here is the other:  I started drilling and tapping the exhaust manifold for my egt gauge, when i noticed the #2 runner had a nice hole rusted in it.  I had sourced another exhaust manifold, but i decided to use a turbo and manifold that i had been saving for another project i have.

this is the turbo and manifold i will be using, it's a rebuilt 50 trim t3 compressor on a stock vw exhaust side

this is the stock vw 35 trim compressor for comparison

and a picture of my instrument cluster if that excites anyone..

Dubdoc:
If this car has an AAZ in it, PLEASE upgrade that cheesy 1.6 NA exhaust. My AAZ developed NO power at all till I got a full 2.25" system on it.

RabbitJockey:

--- Quote from: Dubdoc on November 30, 2014, 07:09:02 am ---If this car has an AAZ in it, PLEASE upgrade that cheesy 1.6 NA exhaust. My AAZ developed NO power at all till I got a full 2.25" system on it.

--- End quote ---

i wouldn't even think of running that exhaust ;^P

Joshua!:
Great writeup. I just finished a similar journey to Canada to rebuild an aaz. What a difference over the stock NA!

What did you do for an oil feed line? I'm looking to replace the stock line with braided hose...

RabbitJockey:
i'll just be using the stock feed line, i see no reason to change it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version