Author Topic: 81 Rabbit LS AAZ (2023: now tdi-m)  (Read 37521 times)

Reply #30December 18, 2014, 03:15:35 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: 81 Rabbit LS AAZ
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 03:15:35 pm »
i messed with it a little bit last night, i backed the max fuel screw out until it wouldn't start (2.5 turns) and then tried anywhere in between, and it will either not start, or it will runaway(with much less smoke haha)  so something is stuck internally.  i have a stock pump i'll swap on for now while i try to figure out what the deal is with this one.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #31December 20, 2014, 11:14:04 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 11:14:04 pm »
didn't get much time today, but i pulled the pump off and got the top off of it, all of the governor weights were stuck in, so i just popped them out with a screw driver and worked them a little bit to make sure they didn't stick again.  they seemed to be mechanically jammed, and not gummed up or anything.  Regardless that was obviously the issue.  So tomorrow i can hopefully get the belt tracking straight and everything else buttoned up
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #32December 21, 2014, 11:38:37 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2014, 11:38:37 am »
since you have the pump off you should give it a shot, but fwiw if it is only 3/16" or less I don't worry about it. Maybe there is a spec somewhere that says how much to be off? I have never had one perfect that I have owned. All of mine have been about 1/8" off either way, never centered. Great find on the vanes. Hope all is well with it now.

Reply #33December 21, 2014, 01:11:15 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2014, 01:11:15 pm »
the belt actually hangs off the sprocket on the inside, maybe 1-2mm of over hang, so that definitely needs fixed haha,  i don't intend to make it perfect, because like you said very few of them are.  unfortunately i don't really have any time to work on it.

Reply #34December 22, 2014, 09:38:46 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2014, 09:38:46 pm »

Reply #35December 23, 2014, 01:41:17 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2014, 01:41:17 am »
I adjust the tracking each time I have the bracket off and when I do, I get it to run in the center or very close to it.  I typically won't adjust the tracking again/otherwise until the belt is very near the edge of the sprocket at one side or the other or if it is rubbing on the back of the crank pulley. 

Reply #36December 28, 2014, 10:55:46 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2014, 10:55:46 am »
I adjust the tracking each time I have the bracket off and when I do, I get it to run in the center or very close to it.  I typically won't adjust the tracking again/otherwise until the belt is very near the edge of the sprocket at one side or the other or if it is rubbing on the back of the crank pulley. 

i was lucky and got the belt pretty close to straight on my first try, then i got everything put together enough to drive it.  I was missing the boost line that goes from the compressor housing to the waste gate on my car, but lucas helped me figure out that it was just an american double flare fitting,  fortunately when i was fitting the flare on to the waste gate, the threads broke off, so currently i am running just closed wastegate. Im also pretty sure that i have the throttle arm a spline or 2 off, so im not quite getting full pedal, either way this thing is pretty quick, once i hit 3 grand the vtec kicks in and it really pulls.  thanks for all the help from everyone on the forum, even if u didn't post in this thread, at some point you've probably helped me learn something, or i searched and read lots of old threads.  still lots of little things to do on it, but just driving it again is awesome.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:03:52 am by RabbitJockey »

Reply #37December 28, 2014, 02:50:25 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2014, 02:50:25 pm »
Great job.  Congrats on getting it going.

Reply #38January 02, 2015, 12:23:22 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2015, 12:23:22 pm »
Thanks andrew, i havent worked on it lately other than i had forgotten to block off the wg line on the turbo compressor, so i blocked that off and the turbo is much more responsive, my oil pan had a small hole in it that i just plugged with some of that puddy epoxy jb weld stuff.  I also have a coolant leak, but im gonna take a break from this car *** for a month or 2.

How the bay currently looks, i love the t3 hybrid, seems to be a nice turbo so far, and it bolts on just like stock, and even looks stock on the outside.

And another dumb video, this ones from before the wg port was blocked too.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:01:27 pm by RabbitJockey »

Reply #39January 17, 2015, 01:08:52 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2015, 01:08:52 pm »
I finally got my new antique license plate for the rabbit last night, i replaced the fuel lines, i had used vacuum lines on the returns temporarily, it only took a day or 2 for them to get soft, swell up, and start leaking haha.  I zip tied a few things and adjusted the throttle so that i can now get full pedal.  Then i took it out for its first legal drive with the aaz.  After those adjustments it is now very fast, and this is with no intercooler, its really impressive how one of these engines can run with a proper injection pump and proper sized turbo, i wish i had made a video although i think i'd need a passenger to help me now haha. 

Unfortunately the excitement was short lived when the turbo started sounding a bit different, it took me a bit to figure it out but the nut that holds the compressor wheel on to the turbine shaft backed off.  Which is surprising as i'm sure that i made it tight, i even used loctite on it.  The compressor wheel must have rubbed on the housing a little bit, tomorrow im going to pull the turbo and the compressor housing to inspect and retighten it, and also get my wastegate working properly.

the whole thing is pretty disheartening though, because theman53 actually built a similar turbo his was a 45 trim t3 compressor from a mercedes td, bolted to the stock .36 hot side, and he had the nut come loose on his, then had it professionally rebuilt a second time, the second time a turbine shaft and nut with left handed threads was used, and instead of loosening the nut it snapped the turbine shaft.

my turbo is a stock vw .36 ar exhaust side with a volvo 50 trim t3 compressor, so nearly the same.  and here is strike one my compressor nut has backed off,  so after i fix it i will be very nervous with this turbo.  I think the issue may be cause by turbo stall, because all of the load on the compressor is spun in a way that would loosen the nut, u can hear really well in the second video how it sounds when i let off the gas pedal.  the only solution may be either a blow off valve or a stronger turbine shaft, but i will go to a different turbo before i waste anymore money on t3 stuff haha.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:40:37 pm by RabbitJockey »

Reply #40January 19, 2015, 08:59:54 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2015, 08:59:54 am »
did not get a chance to work on it, saturday night i went to a fund raiser that included unlimited beer with the cover charge... so i was not very productive on sunday  :P :P :P  luckily i won almost 100 dollars at the event, so im going to take that money and buy a new genuine t3 50 trim compressor wheel that i found on ebay.  i was just going to retighten the compressor nut and use the wheel thats on it now, but for 50 bucks i can get this brand new already balanced wheel, so why not????

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wow-NEW-Performance-T3-50-Turbo-Compressor-Wheel-/400055174929?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d25258711&vxp=mtr

Reply #41January 19, 2015, 09:05:27 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2015, 09:05:27 am »

Reply #42January 19, 2015, 04:38:22 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2015, 04:38:22 pm »
well, i ordered the new compressor wheel and 360* thrust bearing, just have to wait on them to get here now.  hopefully with the wastegate connected i won't have this problem again, if i do then i give up on this hybrid turbo.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:10:54 am by RabbitJockey »

Reply #43January 26, 2015, 12:59:25 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2015, 12:59:25 pm »
pulled the turbo yesterday and tore it down last night.  everything was in much worse shape than i had thought, oil was leaking on the intake and exhaust sides of the turbo, the compressor wheel was destroyed, and the compressor wheel spun on the turbine shaft so much that it left a bunch of aluminum stuck to the turbine shaft, so much that i couldn't even get the thrust bearing/washer off the shaft.  so basically all of this is junk, and i'm going to build another hybrid from the parts i have left plus another stock t3 that i have, this time with the wastegate connected and limited to stock boost, and 15psi after i get a chance to enjoy the car.  but if this one fails as well then i give up on the hybrid, obviously the old garrett stuff can't handle this configuration.

pics to come.

Reply #44January 28, 2015, 08:33:31 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2015, 08:33:31 am »
the backing plate center hole was also all worn out, which is not good because that is where the oil seal seals against.

and here was the thrust bearing, which is not totally bad looking, but it only has 20 miles on it, so it is very bad haha

Fixmyvw.com