Author Topic: 81 Rabbit LS AAZ (2023: now tdi-m)  (Read 37525 times)

Reply #15December 04, 2014, 09:25:30 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: 81 Rabbit LS AAZ
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 09:25:30 pm »
I didn't give the units for Torque...  Your conversion factor only works for Ft-lbs...  All the NM folks will KNOW you are wrong...   :P

Typical HP vs. Torque discussions remind me of this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8DNGh126oM

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:29:51 pm by libbydiesel »

Reply #16December 04, 2014, 09:51:33 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 09:51:33 pm »
these days i just make a short case then say lets agree to disagree(my way of saying you're too dense for this.)  i give great concrete examples, and they are like, "yeah but torque is like that bottom end grunt, hp is up top derp."
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #17December 06, 2014, 08:16:08 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 08:16:08 pm »
Had a little bit of progress today, if everything goes well with the turbo drain tomorrow then i should get it in thr car tomorrow.

81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #18December 07, 2014, 10:26:30 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 10:26:30 pm »
today quite a few things were accomplished

I got my oil drain assembled by combining the lower half of the k14 drain, and the upper half of the 1.6td drain tube, along with some 1/2" hose and clamps.  the hose is pcv oil fuel hose, so I should not have to worry about that.

for the heater core pipe/oil cooler hose, there are 3-4 different setups that vw used over the years.  Mk1's had a smaller heatercore pipe than the later cars.  Also some mk1's had a smaller outlet on the water pump, but i kept the aaz water pump which is the same pump that basically every water cooled vw has after 1982 or so.   Anyway, if you use the hose PN: 068121058C you can get everything connected properly, and still use the mk1 coolant pipe to make the install a bit easier and simple.

the me and a friend of mine spent some time wrestling the engine and trans until we got up in to where it belongs.  Still lots of work to do, but all easy simple stuff.  it's a very good feeling to finally have it in the engine bay.

Reply #19December 08, 2014, 09:20:43 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 09:20:43 am »
Good deal. Now I remember on mine why the compressor got in the way. It was because of my intake I had to rotate it. Looks good, when are you going to drive it?

Reply #20December 08, 2014, 04:27:23 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 04:27:23 pm »
Good deal. Now I remember on mine why the compressor got in the way. It was because of my intake I had to rotate it. Looks good, when are you going to drive it?

i don't think i'll have much time to work on it until this weekend, but it looks like the weather is going to be decent (in the 40's and no rain) so hopefully i can get it running.  it's just hanging by the 2 side motor mounts currently, So i have a good bit of stuff to do yet, but none of that is very difficult so in 2 days i should have it going, after that i just gotta get a tag for it and then i can hit the streets.  probably needs a new battery too, this ones probably 6 years old and hasn't been used for a year, so it's due to be replaced.

Reply #21December 16, 2014, 12:51:32 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 12:51:32 pm »
So just a bit of an update here, I got most everything in and connectected this weekend, which was a pretty nice feeling

i'll get a better picture of this portion, but i wanted to show how i took this bracket that goes around the coolant outlet that goes on the side of the aaz head, on the aaz it holds the engine harness connector, turbo oil supply line, and the metal heater core pipe.  I cut off the part that holds the engine harness connector since i am using all the rabbit wiring.  And since i am use the rabbit heater core pipe, which normally gets tightened into the bottom stud of the coolant outlet, the aaz head sits higher due to the taller block, so it simply doesn't fit, but with the aaz bracket, and slightly bending it fits perfectly.

Next i noticed i have a belt track issue  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( ::) ::) ::)  so i'll have to pull the pump back off and adjust the bracket i guess, i've never done this before, so any tips would be appreciated.  I wanted to hear it run before i pull the pump back off though.

and here is just a picture of how it sits, i haven't been able to get it started it, it's not getting fuel or not enough fuel, and it's only getting fuel to cylinders 2 and 4 (the lowest 2 deliver valves)when it does.  I back filled the pump by filling a gear oil bottle with diesel fuel and stuck a hose on it, connected thatto the IP's "out" oulet, i used an in bolt for free flow though, and squeezed it through until the clear feed line had absolutely no bubbles. Tonight im going to pick up an electric lift pump, and see if that will get it started, then i can tear the pump back off haha.  I am thinking it may have stuck vanes as the pump i got was not sealed at all.

Reply #22December 16, 2014, 08:25:05 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 08:25:05 pm »
well after talking to a few friends i decided to grab one of these mr gasket diesel fuel pumps, it was 55 dollars, which i thought was cheap enough, i just stuck it on real quick with aligator clips and no hose clamps, turned it on and in about ten seconds all the lines were full of fuel, i cranked the engine over and it started almost immediately,  then did this haha

video:

i am thinking something inside the pump is sticking from sitting.

Reply #23December 16, 2014, 11:37:54 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 11:37:54 pm »
That's not really abnormal.  I'd back off the max fuel screw a turn and try again.  Keep backing it off until it either doesn't run away or won't start. 

Reply #24December 17, 2014, 09:03:13 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 09:03:13 am »
That's not really abnormal.  I'd back off the max fuel screw a turn and try again.  Keep backing it off until it either doesn't run away or won't start. 

ok i wanted to let it set with diesel purge in it before i messed with any setting, this is supposedly a giles pump.  once i can get it to idle, i'll try tackling this belt tracking issue.

Reply #25December 17, 2014, 09:46:23 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 09:46:23 am »
There's nothing wrong with Diesel Purge.  You KNOW you will eventually be messing with the max fuel screw regardless of where it's set now.  I'd just keep track of the number of turns. 

You probably already know (but it's worth mentioning) that adjusting the pump bracket adjusts tracking.  Sprocket down tracks toward the engine, sprocket up tracks away.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:48:04 am by libbydiesel »

Reply #26December 17, 2014, 11:35:10 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 11:35:10 am »
There's nothing wrong with Diesel Purge.  You KNOW you will eventually be messing with the max fuel screw regardless of where it's set now.  I'd just keep track of the number of turns. 

You probably already know (but it's worth mentioning) that adjusting the pump bracket adjusts tracking.  Sprocket down tracks toward the engine, sprocket up tracks away.

yeah i knew i was going be messing with the pump somehow since it's obviously not going be working in its current state haha

and i was hoping someone would chime in about the pump bracket, i've never had to adjust one before so i wasn't even sure where to start with moving it,  thanks a lot!  currently it hangs off the engine side of the pulleys about 1mm

Reply #27December 17, 2014, 11:40:27 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 11:40:27 am »
if i had just bought this pump on sunday, i could probably be done with the swap by now  ::)  live and learn.

Reply #28December 17, 2014, 02:36:35 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 02:36:35 pm »
The alignment (or not) of the sprockets is not the pertinent factor.  They are almost never exactly aligned and trying to align them is not the way to go about getting the tracking right.  To adjust the belt tracking, pull the pump back off, loosen the three pump mounting bolts and rotate the belt side of the bracket DOWN and the side toward the flywheel UP in order to make it track closer to the engine or the opposite way to make it track away.  Reinstall the belt right in the middle of the sprockets and rotate it through several turns until it stops wandering.  Lather.  Rinse. Repeat as necessary.

Reply #29December 17, 2014, 04:46:00 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 04:46:00 pm »
The alignment (or not) of the sprockets is not the pertinent factor.  They are almost never exactly aligned and trying to align them is not the way to go about getting the tracking right.  To adjust the belt tracking, pull the pump back off, loosen the three pump mounting bolts and rotate the belt side of the bracket DOWN and the side toward the flywheel UP in order to make it track closer to the engine or the opposite way to make it track away.  Reinstall the belt right in the middle of the sprockets and rotate it through several turns until it stops wandering.  Lather.  Rinse. Repeat as necessary.

thanks for that, very helpful, i should be really quick at timing them till i am done doing all that haha.