Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

Did I get a bad pump?

(1/3) > >>

offalot:
I ordered a Landy pump from UK quite some time ago and now that it's winter, I'm starting to put my motor together for my caddy.  I questioned it when I got the pump but now I really have to know. When I rotate the pulley shaft of the mTDI pump, I go about a 3rd rotation then the shaft tightens up and doesn't go any further. The IDI pumps that I am used to spin fully with a little bit of resistance. I am hoping this is a TDI thing and I didn't get a bad pump from overseas. Sorry if this sounds like a total noob question. Just getting used to this new fangled stuff.

By the way, anyone know of what happened to CRSMP5. We were discussing rebuilding the pump at one time, when I came back to the forum, I can't seem to locate him.

theman53:
He doesn't like the format of this forum any longer, so he opted out. If it is an 11mm pump it should have stiffer springs than the 9mm pump for an idi

offalot:
Thanks. So I wasn't wanting to force it. Maybe I should try rotating a little harder to get it to go around? I;ll try. unfortunately I'm at work so I'll try it tonight. Just didn't want to hurt anything.
So you're about an hour away from me. I'm in NE Ohio.

theman53:
I wouldn't "force" it as if something is off it could break but use more force than you would with the 9mm pump.

libbydiesel:
You really have two options, either have the pump rebuilt or you're going to 'force it' sooner or later, either on the bench or by the timing belt/crank/starter when it is installed.  I usually rebuild each pump I install, but if not going that route, I'd rather spin it over prior to installation than risk tossing the timing belt.  If you decide to spin it over on the bench, clamp it in a vice, put a wrench on the pulley nut and rotate the shaft CW.  You will feel the humps of the camplate.  The camplate hump resistance is a lot more than the VW 1.6 pumps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version