Author Topic: Giles injection pump- how good are they?  (Read 12003 times)

Reply #15November 20, 2014, 08:40:08 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Giles injection pump- how good are they?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 08:40:08 pm »
If I supply the 11mm pump he said he would tune mine for less than 400...and I am very tempted

Reply #16November 21, 2014, 08:13:21 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 08:13:21 pm »
Jim, have you talked to Giles? I think he will retune a pump for significantly less than a rebuild if you need it reconfigured.
Yes, I spoke with him. It's the shipping and Canadian border crossing that ruins the concept.
I may still go for it but the tired DK tranny is 1st in line for my wallet.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #17November 23, 2014, 10:11:25 am

sdubfid

• Junior

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 10:11:25 am »
Jim, have you talked to Giles? I think he will retune a pump for significantly less than a rebuild if you need it reconfigured.
Yes, I spoke with him. It's the shipping and Canadian border crossing that ruins the concept.
I may still go for it but the tired DK tranny is 1st in line for my wallet.

You won't pay anything for tax/duty if it's a warranty repair although shipping there and back would be about $45 each way

Reply #18November 25, 2014, 08:41:47 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 08:41:47 am »

You won't pay anything for tax/duty if it's a warranty repair although shipping there and back would be about $45 each way

That's good news. There must be a form that myself or Giles would need to fill out for "warranty" work crossing the border. I should go for it as my mileage is suffering greatly and It's possibly due to my screw tweaks.
Right now I have most of the ceiling torn out as I complete the renovation of the old section of the addition. We also have a temporary kitchen set up downstairs and the gas stove is outside on the back porch. I doubt the wife would take kindly to me spending time working on the van ;).

I will get back to it, just not right now (but I appreciate the info very much).
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #19November 25, 2014, 09:04:04 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 09:04:04 am »
There shouldn't be any extra form, just indicate it on your standard customs declaration.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #20November 27, 2014, 12:44:22 am

southernman

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 12:44:22 am »
I'm running a Giles pump in my '82 NA pickup, and it's the best money I've spent on this vehicle. ANY future VW diesel vehicles I own will have a Giles pump installed - they're that good.

My truck was originally equipped with the stock (1-1) 4 spd trans and stock pump, which limited freeway cruising to ~ 65mph, and it got ~ 35-45 mpg. This thing was screaming at 65 mph on the freeways...

I changed the trans to a  5 spd (.25 reduction on 5th gear) and the stock pump struggled on flat ground anytime I encountered a headwind. I had to run it in 4rth most of the time, where 4rth gear was, again, 1-1...

After installing the Giles pump (I also had my injectors rebuilt at the same time to get max benefit), I can leave it in 5th gear and do not have to down shift anywhere I drive in my area; I can comfortably cruise at 75 mpg; it cold starts at any temperature without having to plug it in (I also ordered the pump "advance" option which really helps with cold starts), and economy is outstanding. I'm averaging between 45-50 mpg without trying. My truck performs very similar to a NA gasser now, but I never anticipated the increase in torque, HP, and fuel economy... I've got a Dodge 3500 Cummins dually as my "big" truck option and other new cars to drive, but this little truck is the most fun, and my favorite, to drive. It's ugly, needs cosmetic work, but everything under it's new and it's extremely reliable and, again, just plain fun to drive, with the Giles pump unit installed.

If you can afford one, a Giles pump is the best investment you can make for these vehicles, and their service is 2nd to none.

Southernman

'82 VW Caddy w/ 1.6 NA Diesel - completely stock.

Fixmyvw.com