Author Topic: AAZ Head on 1.6 block  (Read 6635 times)

November 15, 2014, 03:28:56 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

AAZ Head on 1.6 block
« on: November 15, 2014, 03:28:56 pm »
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I've bought a 1.6 MF block, turbo and a pile of parts locally for $250, I was also able to find a new oem AAZ head for $500 which I grabbed. My plan is to build the engine to drop into my suzuki samurai and run around 15psi of boost on 31" tires. I'm about to send my block to the machine shop and just wanted to confirm the head would fit. From what I've been able to research I have a hydraulic block which should work? I noticed my head has 6 holes between the pistons that the block does not, I've also seen pictures of AAZ blocks that have these holes. Is this a problem? Do I need to get the holes machined into the block?

I was also curious if anyone knew what turbo this is and if it would be ideal for my setup?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:30:35 pm by RunninWild »

Reply #1November 15, 2014, 04:02:20 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: AAZ Head on 1.6 block
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 04:02:20 pm »
You have a hydro block so the head will bolt right on.

It will lower your compression ratio though, and you may not like the way it drives.

Looks like you have a Garrett T3 turbo. If you only want 15 PSI I'd be on the look out for a smaller turbo. Actually if you only want 15 PSI I'd be looking for a 1.6 TD head as well.
Tyler

Reply #2November 15, 2014, 04:25:37 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 04:25:37 pm »
Care to explain why a 1.6 head would be better? Everything I read says the 1.9 head flows better and spools the turbo quicker. I havnt seen any in my area that wouldnt need a full rebuild and the 2 I have are no good, the one has a crack in the injector threads and the other has been decked so I dont think it would be ideal. I dont really have a set boost in mind, im hoping to make around 100hp/150tq.  I actually dont even have a power number in mind, I'm mainly looking for enough power to run 120km/h up hill and semi quick acceleration  which would give  more then what I'd need for offroad. My guess of 100/150 would probably be pretty close for that. the stock 1.3l I have now is 60hp/76tq which has trouble going 80km/h up hill on 28" tires.

Is the k14 the ideal turbo for my use? Looking for more low end power for turning heavy tires and crawling up stuff.

Reply #3November 15, 2014, 04:31:07 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 04:31:07 pm »
The K14 is a middle-of-the-road stock turbo.  If interested in low-end torque rather than higher rpm power and a relatively bolt-on wastegated turbo option, I would go for the T2 from an AAZ.  A VNT 15 or 17 would give both way better low-end and better high rpm power than the T3 but would require more work to control.

Reply #4November 15, 2014, 08:33:27 pm

Blocksmith

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Wrench Lurker
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 08:33:27 pm »
Do I need to get the holes machined into the block?

Not machined, no. I've seen multiple posts of people marking the position of the holes using an AAZ head gasket, and then just drilling them in to the block. Never read of any problems doing it this way. It's probably optional, but it seems to be "all part of this complete AAZ head swap breakfast" as it were.
Green 83 Rabbit 4dr, 5 speed ACH trans swap, ported 1.6D mech lifter w/ vnt15, na pump w/ gov mod, gasser intake mani, 2.5" exhaust, bilstein sports and cut mk2 springs, ss brake lines, 14" vw bottlecaps

Reply #5November 16, 2014, 09:37:46 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 09:37:46 am »
The 1.9l head may not be ideal because it's generally very clacky because you need high static timing in order to get rid of some of the white smoke. It's still going to be smokey though. You'll also have a harder time starting it in the cold. Again, this may not be ideal for you, it depends on your goals and how you want your car to run. There are a couple of good build threads on this head swap where they describe how the engine runs once it's all put together.

You may need to have your head decked. It looks like there is a scratch in it on cyl #1 right where the sealing ring of the headgasket sits. It's hard to tell from the picture though. It's perfectly fine to deck a diesel head, just remove the precups and make sure they are installed again at the proper height. You also need to check your valve heights.
Tyler

Reply #6November 17, 2014, 12:57:18 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 12:57:18 pm »
As mentioned, the AAZ head isn't ideal for a "moderate" build.  Yep, it flows better but it also has much larger prechambers.  The size of the prechamber is matched to the displacement of the engine - more displacement on the AAZ requires a larger prechamber to cram the air in to.  The compression ratio will be reduced by a couple of points (like as in around 10%) if you use it on the smaller displacement engine which in turn may cause issues with starting in colder weather  as well as combustion issues in colder temperatures. If you're building a Bonneville racer, then these things might not be problems for you.  If you're building something to use as a daily driver year round, then it's not really ideal.  Where your particular project sits in this spectrum will be up to you to determine.

Another thought, if you can find an AHU or 1Z that has had a broken timing belt and a trashed head for cheap then you can use AAZ pistons and your AAZ head in the AHU/1Z block.  It is identical to the AAZ block except it has a crank position sensor, which you wouldn't need.  The extra 300cc of displacement will provide a lot of nice juicy low end torque.  The engines have identical mounting points and things too so you won't have any significant differences getting it in to your Suzuki.

Turbo wise I'm with Libby.  The T3 is the largest laggiest turbo that VW put on any of their 4-cylinder A-body diesels.  It has potential to run at 20+ PSI without grenading but you won't see anywhere close to that level of boost until you're over 3K RPM.  Not at all ideal for off road use. 

While the K14s are good for this application, they ARE quite dated now.  Turbo technology has progressed quite a bit over the past 20+ years - it is possible to make a lot more boost with a lot less backpressure today.  You might consider talking to Alkaid on here about some of the Holset turbos he's got.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #7November 17, 2014, 01:09:57 pm

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 01:09:57 pm »
In my opinion - The "Franken" type build that you propose works best for an engine that will see higher boost and higher rpm's.  The lower static compression associated with using the AAZ head on a 1.6 block allows for more boost, while maintaining moderate cylinder pressures at lower rpm's.

As VanBC noted, if you are building a Bonneville racer, this is great.  I have a "Bonneville" race truck which uses a 1.5 bottom end and 1.9 AAZ cylinder head.  It pulls extremely well above 4,000 rpm's, but is very "soft" at lower rpm's where you are more likely to be driving something like a Samurai.

That T3 turbo is probably a bit large for a lower rpm off-road engine as well.  I'm using a Garrett GT2056 turbo (T25 flange) and make just over 30 psi boost when it's on "full boost".

On a side note, $500 for a factory AAZ head is a screaming hot deal!  Congratulations on that.

Steve.

Reply #8November 17, 2014, 05:17:05 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 05:17:05 pm »
alright so my best bet is to find a 1.9 block or a 1.6 head. The head was pretty hard to pass up for $500, hopefully I can put it to good use. I guess I'll hold off on rebuilding the bottom end just now. Hopefully I can sell some of this parts pile so my gf doesn't go crazy at me lol.

Reply #9November 18, 2014, 08:11:16 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 08:11:16 am »
I have a head that has more precup volume than an aaz. While I don't daily it and my calculated compression is somewhere around 17:1 it does ok at low rpm. If you have good ring seal I don't think starting and running issues will be a problem for you. As a former avid off roader I think a newer design turbo will be a good choice as you really aren't needing the vw set up to keep all the exhaust and intake stock. That said a t3 or k24 with a 2.5 to 3" downpipe and the ported better flowing head will start building boost almost instantly, but not reach max boost until a little over 2,000. Maybe 2,300, at least that is my experience, maybe faster if you like a ton of smoke. If you have to buy a turbo and don't have one laying around I would suggest a holset or Mitsubishi as they are built way better than the others out there

Reply #10November 18, 2014, 08:54:55 am

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 08:54:55 am »
...and if you decide that you need to get rid of that OEM AAZ head, please let me know.

Interested in trades for a very lightly used GT2056 turbo and downpipe / flange adapter?

Steve.

Reply #11November 18, 2014, 01:01:54 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 01:01:54 pm »
I have a head that has more precup volume than an aaz. While I don't daily it and my calculated compression is somewhere around 17:1 it does ok at low rpm. If you have good ring seal I don't think starting and running issues will be a problem for you. As a former avid off roader I think a newer design turbo will be a good choice as you really aren't needing the vw set up to keep all the exhaust and intake stock. That said a t3 or k24 with a 2.5 to 3" downpipe and the ported better flowing head will start building boost almost instantly, but not reach max boost until a little over 2,000. Maybe 2,300, at least that is my experience, maybe faster if you like a ton of smoke. If you have to buy a turbo and don't have one laying around I would suggest a holset or Mitsubishi as they are built way better than the others out there

The turbo I have is what came with my parts pile, I will upgrade it in the future but I'll probably use it for "now". I'm going to be running a custom 2.5" short ram (possibly snorkel in the future) on the stock intake manifold (1.6) as well as a custom 2.5" exhaust from the stock downpipe (1.6). Plan right now is for a walker quietflow resonator and a dynomax super turbo muffler, that should keep the truck pretty quiet and have plenty of flow.
...and if you decide that you need to get rid of that OEM AAZ head, please let me know.

Interested in trades for a very lightly used GT2056 turbo and downpipe / flange adapter?

Steve.

I may end up selling or trading it but if I do it would be for a freshly rebuilt 1.6 head. That being said there are a couple AAZ blocks on craigslist. theres actually a full aaz for $180 but it needs a full rebuild. Waiting to hear back on that one, hoping it just lost the timing belt and not the crank pulley.

I'm not in a rush to get this built. I was going to try and get it together sooner rather then later as I just came into a bit of money, and my stock 1.3l engine has seen better days. Plan is to install the engine in the spring if everything goes right.

S-PAutomotive.com