Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: How does my 1.6TD idle sound to the experts? / Stalling  (Read 6453 times)

November 13, 2014, 10:23:42 pm

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pretty dumb for a smart guy
How does my 1.6TD idle sound to the experts? / Stalling
« on: November 13, 2014, 10:23:42 pm »
Drove my coupe a few yards just now. Had to get it out of the way of the land cruiser. We had our first real snow today. I don't have the winter wheels on the GTI yet and the summer tires are done.

The coolant hose block heater seems to work just fine. Engine is no harder to start after an hour or so plugged in than it was in warmer weather.

When the engine was mated to the transmission, a friend helped me install a brand new LUK clutch kit. We used the special tool and followed the instructions. Double checked to make sure we got stuff right. I'd previously had the flywheel checked out by a machinist and he told me it was perfect.

I have an issue where it stalls out when i release the clutch. This is not my first manual so i am reluctant to believe that it is strictly technique. The adjuster on the clutch cable has been spun almost all the way up trying to work this out.

I wonder if i just lack power due to bad timing or something. So after the engine had warmed up to operating temperatures (per the temperature gauge on the cluster) i recorded a short video.

I would appreciate some expert ears and opinions. my attempted pump timing was 1.0mm but since i am a n00b i maybe got it wrong. And since my pump is weird, maybe it's not ideal anyway.

As an aside, my oil pressure gauge doesn't move. It's possible i have it wired wrong so i will look into that further. When i reassembled the engine i used new oil pressure switches on the head and the filter flange, and i used values that i was pretty sure were appropriate for the mk2 oil pump and hydro head. The oil warning light turns off after about half a second of cranking the starter so i am under the impression that i am getting some oil flow, but i do wonder if i should have used a flow restrictor on the oil feed line. I have read that restrictors are generally not used on journal bearing turbos, but i still worry, since lack of oil pressure in the head could maybe be causing power issues? Oil is a gallon of rotella t1 30 weight dino and a 2oz bottle of "ZDDP Maxx" additive. So i could be a quart low, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxTZj-ldjAY
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:40:16 pm by TimpanogosSlim »

Reply #1November 13, 2014, 10:52:20 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: How does my 1.6TD idle sound to the experts? / Stalling
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:52:20 pm »
Hard to hear anything over the turbo...

The oil pressure light will go out with about 1.5 PSI so it only really tells you that the engine is indeed making SOME pressure. The high pressure switch cones in to play over 2000 RPM and will trigger the alarm as well as the light - it is more like 30+ PSI.

No oil restrictor on the oil supply for the turbo, definitely not wanted with a journal bearing turbo.

No oil pressure won't cause low power, it will cause siezed engine. You shouldn't be running it at all if you suspect an oil pressure problem.

Power wise, there's a lot of variables. Do you have smoke? Do you have boost? If you don't have smoke the there's probably room for more fuel. As to stalling in idle, that'll depend on your pump's idle system. It should be able to hold its idle speed pretty well provided everything is happy.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:54:06 pm by vanbcguy »
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2November 13, 2014, 10:58:43 pm

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 10:58:43 pm »
well, it doesn't just stall at idle.

Though one time it did stall idling just because i turned the wheel sharply. I have since disconnected the power steering pump, which was squeaking.

But it Wants to stall when i lift the clutch pedal, even while giving it some gas. And the last time i tried to drive it, about 10 days ago, I stalled it about 50 times.

I know oil is flowing at least to the turbo because i had forgotten to re-tighten the oil drain hose clamps after having had the pan off briefly just before adding oil and trying to start it a few weeks ago. I had oil flowing out the turbo drain.

When i rev up the engine i do sometimes see the boost gauge move. The grommet that the extra wiring and boost tap hose are running through is over crowded though and i fear the hose may be pinched off.

I need to revisit my oil pressure sender wiring. it's possible that the sender doesn't have good ground. Also possible that it's a bogus sender i guess, since i got it on ebay.

Reply #3November 13, 2014, 11:49:11 pm

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 11:49:11 pm »
ok, the oil pressure gauge does work. it just wasn't properly grounded.

i have not started the engine again to assure proper pressure though.

Also it looks like i managed to acquire a fake vdo gauge and matching fake sender. *shrug*

Reply #4November 14, 2014, 04:29:15 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 04:29:15 am »
I'm not sure that's the turbo making the high pitch whine. I have a hard time hearing them at all with the airbox on. Maybe the T-belt is too tight?

Regarding stalling, does the vehicle roll easily? I have rarely stalled these VW diesels, unless the handbrake was on.

Reply #5November 14, 2014, 08:35:46 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 08:35:46 am »
It sounds fine to me. I think it is your technique or something. I wouldn't be letting it idle to operating temp if you haven't broken it in yet. What does the EGT gauge say? Timing at 1.0 should be fine. Need a timing belt cover...

Reply #6November 14, 2014, 10:12:50 am

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 10:12:50 am »
I'm not sure that's the turbo making the high pitch whine. I have a hard time hearing them at all with the airbox on. Maybe the T-belt is too tight?

Regarding stalling, does the vehicle roll easily? I have rarely stalled these VW diesels, unless the handbrake was on.

I'm not sure i'd say it rolls easily. it does roll. I guess it's possible that an individual brake is having issues, having stood for so long.

I'll double check the tension on the timing belt, but I'm fairly confident that it's not too tight. The IM shaft did fit a little snug with the new bearing but not so much that i'd think it was a problem.

There's no exhaust system connected so i tend to think the whine is the turbo but i'm not certain i guess.

Reply #7November 14, 2014, 11:25:45 am

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 11:25:45 am »
Come to think of it, a rusty parking brake cable is possible. I have snowflake wheels to put on and will check each corner for freedom of motion.

.:Sent by pneumatic tubes

Reply #8November 14, 2014, 11:58:56 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 11:58:56 am »
There's no exhaust system connected ...

OK, that might explain it, the recording level and laptop speakers didn't reveal that.

(Guess that explains the smoke too.)

Reply #9November 14, 2014, 12:00:46 pm

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 12:00:46 pm »
Yeah, but it still sounds quieter to my ears than my friend's 1.6NA. I guess the original intake mani is a big resonator. Like a horn on an old phonograph.

.:Sent by pneumatic tubes

Reply #10November 14, 2014, 09:30:24 pm

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 09:30:24 pm »
Well, I think tomorrow I'll put the new wheels on, check for free movement, and see if i can make it to the end of the driveway. then see if i can make it around the block. then maybe go down the street and around the corner and fill it up.

it's insured, so i could even take it for an alignment.

Reply #11November 16, 2014, 05:15:10 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 05:15:10 pm »
Engine sounds ok to me. If the engine colds starts easy with just glow plugs (no block heater), within milli seconds of cranking the starter, your timing is not off. Have you messed with the IP governor ( governor mod)? If it stalls, you need to play with the fuel screw to give it a little more fuel (clockwise).

Are there any bubbles in the return to tank line? Should be solid fuel there. If you have bubbles, could be cause of the stalling.

Reply #12November 16, 2014, 08:21:01 pm

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 08:21:01 pm »
It is not what I'd call easy to start when cold. it takes several seconds of cranking, and usually a few tries. When it's been running, it starts right back up.

Given that i have an AAZ head on a 1.6 block with a 1-hole head gasket and pistons that protrude slightly under the range specified for 1 hole gaskets, i probably have lower compression than most 1.6TD builds.

I did a better job of aligning the shift rod, and then turned up the fuel a bit, and drove it around the block last night. I turned the fuel up too high because it was racing during gear shifts, but it's running well now.

Reply #13November 16, 2014, 08:58:56 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 08:58:56 pm »
With good compression, it should light-off on first crank. I'd probably advance the timing a bit and see if starting improves.

Reply #14November 16, 2014, 11:29:58 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 11:29:58 pm »
I would like to see a video of cranking over. I have way less compression than the 1.9 head and I can get mine to light off first twist after sitting for months down to 11f. It just doesn't like to run when it that cold. I have tons of smoke then too.