Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Oil filter relocation  (Read 3634 times)

February 02, 2015, 11:02:39 am

rodpaslow

• Veteran

Oil filter relocation
« on: February 02, 2015, 11:02:39 am »
I wasn't sure where to put this.

I added a filter relocation kit and just wanted to note engine oil temperature.  I added a perma-cool kit, but I used single braid hydraulic line and fittings (didn't use the light hose the kit comes with) and moved the oil filter under the drivers side fender (Mk3 golf) so it's easy to change.  I used 1/2" diameter and ran down to the rad cross-member and across, then up about 10" into the fender. (-10 fittings)

I know someone was looking to keep there temperatures down a bit.  With just under 4 ft of 1/2" hose, engine oil temperatures are way down (35° at least) due to the hose helping to keep everything cool.  Oil pressure increased with this too.

I'm not sure what its going to be like in above 0°C (above freezing) temperatures, I think cooling with help then as well, maybe not to quite the same degree.

99' 1.9 1Z Tdi, hybrid pump -1.9 housing & rover internals, 2052 wastegate turbo,.25 hflox nozzles, SDI intake, CTN tranny
96' 1.6 TD Golf, Giles pump, VNT 17, Gas changed to Diesel, Air to Water Int.

Reply #1February 02, 2015, 11:54:37 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Oil filter relocation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 11:54:37 am »
What kind of oil temperatures are you seeing?

The stock heat exchanger also WARMS the oil during colder weather - you ideally want your oil to be right around 100-110 C.  If it is running significantly colder than that it's going to sludge up with moisture over time.  You're also going to see decreased fuel economy as you'll be pumping thick cold oil all the time.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2February 02, 2015, 09:55:19 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: Oil filter relocation
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 09:55:19 pm »
Did pressure increase at the head or oil filter flange? Either way it doesn't seem like a plus given what changed on the engine...
Tyler

Fixmyvw.com