Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: VE Shutoff solenoid plunger tearing rubber  (Read 3333 times)

November 01, 2014, 10:14:05 pm

smokeinmirrors

• User+

VE Shutoff solenoid plunger tearing rubber
« on: November 01, 2014, 10:14:05 pm »
 After doing an unusual for me full throttle hard acceleration, (had to drive around some Dummköpfen) I found that my engine would not shut down with the key at my next stop. I removed the stop solenoid and found that a piece of the rubber had broken off from the plunger and was sitting near the bottom of the hole.
 A little bit of online research leads me to believe the problem can be caused by either a clogged "OUT" bolt and subsequent over-pressurization and high plunger load at shutdown, or simply by the higher fuel flow generated by a turned up pump tearing into the edge of the plunger under high load / high rpm conditions. I have already checked my out bolt and it is clear so I believe my problem to be the latter.
  Is there an easy way to convert this to an all metal plunger? I just tried cutting the rest of the rubber away to replace with a screw that I was intending to mill down to act as a sealing surface, but unfortunately after drilling the end of the plunger, the aluminum just broke as soon as I tried to insert the screw. Has anyone here experienced the same issue, and if I just replace the solenoid would it not probably just tear again next time I gave it the beans?

'86 Golf - AHU m-TDI, Garrett GT2052w