Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

Land Rover pump settings for bigger turbo

(1/2) > >>

smokeinmirrors:
 I just installed a GT2052w turbo on my Landy pumped AHU, so I have turned the fuel quantity screw up in order to get the most out of the greatly increased boost. Right now the quantity screw is turned in far enough that the revs are just starting to hang slightly at high rpm, but I still have about 8mm worth of idle screw sticking out between the throttle stop and the casing.
 Am I right that if I want to further increase the fuel quantity without the revs hanging more I need to move my throttle lever counter clockwise on the splines and go from there?  Just looking for a confirmation of what I think I already know.

libbydiesel:
If the revs hang, your idle is too high.  Use up the idle adjustment before jumping the lever a spline.

rodpaslow:
Libby is correct, If you can't get it to stop hanging, then you have to jump a spline.  There is a point you will hit where the fuel screw gets extremely hard to turn and then you've hit the limit. 

I don't know if you've hit the limit with 8mm left - but if you still can't get where you want you may need to look at replacement, larger nozzles next.

I'd be interested in what specs you get with the 2052 as I just bought one and have not had time to install it yet - like where you get start of boost -approx rpm, etc.

vanbcguy:
Have you changed anything in the LDA yet? From what I understand the stock LDA setting is fairly conservative.

Are you smoky?

smokeinmirrors:
 Ok, I just tried moving the lever one spline CCW on the shaft, then adjusting the Idle screw back up to the normal -+1K RPM, and from that point the revs would still hang with any increase in fuel screw. The car did not seam to run any stronger and the overall range of throttle was greatly reduced due to the idle screw being so far out. I just ended up putting everything back to how it was and now it has no problems.

Right now the idle screw is about 8mm out for a 1K RPM tickover, the fuel screw is turned to the very edge of the hanging point, and the spline is in the original Land Rover position. The governor spring is shimmed with I think 4mm worth of washers.

The pump does still have original LDA pin, but I have rotated it to the steepest profile position. Nozzles are Bosio DLC520, wich are basically .205 size euro AFN nozzles. I get a medium gray haze of smoke under max boost (30 psi @3000 rpm +).  I am very pleased with how it runs now, and this turbo definitely feels like a better fit for the engine than the K03 / GT15, but it still feels like the fueling is holding it back at this point, so it sounds like bigger nozzles should be in my future.

As far as the pump itself goes, setting the timing always seems to be a big compromise between good low rpm torque with low smoke, or good midrange power and fuel economy. Is there any way I can change the dynamic advance characteristics to give a wider advance range and have the best of both worlds?

Thanks as always for all input. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version