S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Need some AHU education EGR delete?  (Read 12611 times)

October 15, 2014, 11:49:14 am

dennis

• Veteran

Need some AHU education EGR delete?
« on: October 15, 2014, 11:49:14 am »
I just purchased a 98 Jetta with the AHU engine and need to clean the crud out of the intake. Some years ago I had a customer that wanted me to make some changes to the EGR valve operation in the engine computer to prevent it from coking up again. This may have been a ALH car. I can't remember for sure. Anyway he provided the changes he wanted and I did the job. I saved the info but have since lost it. I was wondering if someone has this information.

I am also open to other suggestions to make this car perform better and/or get better fuel economy. Presently I am dealing with a couple of trouble codes that are plaguing it P0605, and P1550. I have replaced the waist gate "I think N75 valve", and have replaced all of the vacuum/pressure hoses to include the one inside the ECU. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the EGR valve while I am cleaning out the intake, but if I could turn it off that might be easier. I have owned a few IDI cars and still have an 83 Volvo 245 Wagon that I  swapped a D24T into.

Thanks for any help on this.

1980 Caddy TD (Always in progress)
1983 Volvo 245 D24 NA Building D24T
1980 Air-cooled Westy
1956 F100 (What to do???))

Reply #1October 15, 2014, 12:03:50 pm

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

• VDubShirts.com Awesome VW themed shirts with attitude
Re: Need some AHU education EGR delete?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 12:03:50 pm »
It was most likely an ALH car that had the clogged intake manifold on it. I have cleaned out quite a few that have choked down to about half an inch in diameter from egr boogers.  I haven't had quite the problem on AHU cars.

On my 98 Jetta I simply cut the flanges off of the egr tube and welded the hole up with a bolt head to make block off plates and ran it that way. It would still throw a check engine code

If you have replaced all of the hoses including the one inside of the ecu I would check it once again for leaks and maybe a crack in one of the nipples or something small. You might also check the socketed chips in the ecu for corrosion, its possible.

KermaTDI would be a good source to look for an upgraded intake manifold and an ecu  chip for it.
Check out www.vdubshirts.com for cool VW themed shirts with attitude.

Reply #2October 15, 2014, 04:49:35 pm

rodpaslow

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 04:49:35 pm »
I have one it may be a ahu or 1z, but I removed the cooler, egr (replaced with older AAZ intake) and made a blockoff plate for the exhaust manifold.  All egr stuff is gone (new coolant hoses as well).

Runs fine.  My car had about 1/8" caked soot on the head as well, all that had to be cleaned off and vacuumed as best I could before running it.  The delete is nice once done, but I think the hardest part was cleaning the intake ports in the head.  The rest is all bolt on items. 
99' 1.9 1Z Tdi, hybrid pump -1.9 housing & rover internals, 2052 wastegate turbo,.25 hflox nozzles, SDI intake, CTN tranny
96' 1.6 TD Golf, Giles pump, VNT 17, Gas changed to Diesel, Air to Water Int.

Reply #3October 16, 2014, 10:28:52 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 10:28:52 pm »
Tyler

Reply #4October 17, 2014, 10:51:17 am

dennis

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 10:51:17 am »
I thought this was very clever.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=424543

Exactly what is going on with it now that cleaned out the intake, and intake head ports. It was pretty full of carbon. P1403 code keeps popping up. I also have a P0605 code, the remedy of which is to replace the ECU. While I had the ECU apart I removed and re-seated the two PLCC chips to clean any possible corrosion. No luck there as the P0605 code is still popping up. This code throws the ECU into limp mode with a huge power drop-off. Would replacing the two chips with the $300 buck Kerma TDI chips get rid of the P0605 code? I will probably get the vacuum switch and the resistor to trick the ECU out of setting the P1403 EGR flow code. Seems like a pretty straight forward fix.

Thanks for the replys
Dennis
1980 Caddy TD (Always in progress)
1983 Volvo 245 D24 NA Building D24T
1980 Air-cooled Westy
1956 F100 (What to do???))

S-PAutomotive.com