Model Specific Questions and Info > MK2 Golf/Jetta and Audi 5k

More 020 fun*Solved,was not the tranny*

(1/3) > >>

srgtlord:
Soooo very recently I have been having an issue with my 85 golf "bucking" when I first accelerate in second and third gear. At first I figured it was just normal wear and tear and I could ignore it, but it seems this "bucking" is getting worse. This ONLY occurs when I accelerate in second and third gear. Ill check the gear oil level tonight... but is there anything else it could possibly be? Could it be worn gears?

ORCoaster:
At what RPMs are upshifts being accomplished?  What happens if you try shifting later by 500 RPMs?  Could be a fuel delivery problem or just lugging it. 

Worn gears?  I don't think so.  That is usually an issue with taking foot off the throttle not on. 

srgtlord:
I will add this is not an issue of lugging, RPM's are well past 500 as I drive it like I stole it  ;)

ORCoaster:
OK, we have established the fact that it is bucking and jerking around at higher not lower RPMs.  So IP not on solid?  Such that when you come down in RPMs from the lower gear it sort of rattles around some with the timing belt or engine vibrations and gets all wonko.  I am thinking of what happens to the IP at idle if you have that lower bolt loose like at timing time.  You can get the pump to find a sweet spot at idle and you tighten the one bolt at the alternator side and just before you get the socket wiggled down and on the lower bolt to tighten it the RPMs drop down as the pump starts to shake a bit.

Because the car is under a load any kind of fuel miss would potentially lead the engine to jerk and buck.  Once you get a few more RPMs into the whole upshift does it pull OK or is it bumping along all the while you are accelerating?  Like a miss on a sparker? 

Nothing loose like the back transmission support?  OR a broken side mount?  I have had that happen on the timing belt side.  That is the more involved one to change so look it over real good and jerk it around rather than being jerked.   

All I can think of for now.  Keep poking at it.

CRSMP5:
I doubt it in tranny... If 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 or 5th... Ok... But 2 & 3 are different shafts... One loads main shaft, other loads pinionon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version