S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: No power from AAZ with thrown together pump  (Read 4021 times)

September 05, 2014, 10:28:01 am

TITan

• User+

No power from AAZ with thrown together pump
« on: September 05, 2014, 10:28:01 am »
Hi everybody!

Long story short: bought a AAZ to put into my Vanagon, but the engine came with a 1Y pump because the original pump was damaged in a wreck (since the wreck the engine was used in another car with the 1Y pump without problems).
Since a 8mm pump without a LDA isn't ideal I threw together my old AAZ pump (without LDA and it had been sitting for about three years) with the LDA top from the crashed pump (which had a bit of rust in it). Other things done: 2.5" downpipe to the original silencer (probably 1.8"?), governor mod. Timing is set to 1mm (first tried 0.8mm and it wasn't much different). Had some problems getting it to start (stuck solenoid, broke the governor shaft in the pump (I hope I fished all the parts out)), but after it started I couldn't get it to run right.

The car starts right away (even without glow plugs so I'm guessing good compression) but doesn't have any power. Even in neutral it's a bit lazy to rev, but when it revs it does make black smoke. When I try and drive it I can barely get off the line and it doesn't have the power to rev over about 3k. Boost is present (0.5 bar at about 2k, didn't have time to look at any other revs). The max fuel screw is screwed to the original limit (anything more and I wouldn't be able to get the idle down anyway). Today I tried braking the injector lines and there all working. Tried bypassing the fuel filter with a canister and no change.

Any ideas what could be causing the lack of power? What should I check next?

Pic for clicks (related - the stainless steel governor shaft i made).

1990 VW T3 Transporter - 1.7D
1984 VW Scirocco GTX
1982 VW Scirocco GTI

Reply #1September 05, 2014, 12:09:37 pm

Toby

• Veteran

Re: No power from AAZ with thrown together pump
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 12:09:37 pm »
180* out on the IP timing?

Reply #2September 05, 2014, 06:46:42 pm

TITan

• User+

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 06:46:42 pm »
Doesn't that usually make it smoke like crazy? Is it even possible with a keyway pulley? Unless itis something on the inside?

Edit: also confirmed that the in and out banjo bolts are where they should be.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:05:15 pm by TITan »
1984 VW Scirocco GTX
1982 VW Scirocco GTI

Reply #3September 05, 2014, 08:48:08 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 08:48:08 pm »
I would say it is something with your homemade gov. shaft or the arm that goes into the pump and attaches to the gov. spring cage is off a spline/max screw will need adjusted.

Reply #4September 08, 2014, 09:58:21 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 09:58:21 am »
If you have one of the earlier pump sprockets with two lock pin holes OR if you did not lock the cam during timing belt install OR if you did not make sure the pin in the camplate aligned with the key slot in the pump shaft during assembly it is just as easy to time 180° out as not.  Yes, it will run reasonably well 180° out.  I actually tuned one that way well enough that the only indications were hard starting, slightly higher EGTs and a bit more diesel clack.  There was not any real additional smoke except during starting.

Reply #5September 17, 2014, 03:36:18 pm

TITan

• User+

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 03:36:18 pm »
Problem fixed, but I don't know exactly how  ;D

Since I urgently needed the car I switched the pump for the 1Y one, and it was OK. A little down on power and no smoke.
Than after the weekend I took most of the AAZ pump apart and nothing seemed to be wrong. So I put it back and it still didn't have power, but it also didn't want to smoke (even on the spot).
Played with the max fuel screw - a bit better.
Replaced the filter - a bit better.
Checked internal pressure (was low) and adjusted it to spec. - a bit better.
Adjusted the throttle limiter plate - a bit better
Then played with the max fuel screw again and it took off like it should.
I guess it was a bit of everything.

Now I modified the stock AAZ boost pin and made a boost controller (set to 15psi) and the vanagon flyes  ;D Next stop is figuring out how to mount a intercooler.
1984 VW Scirocco GTX
1982 VW Scirocco GTI

S-PAutomotive.com