Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: gas - diesel swap, glow plug light not working  (Read 1775 times)

February 02, 2014, 09:12:15 pm

chrisg

• Junior

gas - diesel swap, glow plug light not working
« on: February 02, 2014, 09:12:15 pm »
car's a '90 flair. started life as a 8v auto. when i bought it, someone put a 1.6na in it and used the original harness with the auto. I recently swapped it to an 020 5-speed, and swapped to the appropriate diesel engine harness, i also changed the cluster to the appropriate diesel cluster (with no tach, and no desire for one) i plugged a glow plug relay into the correct spot. and when i turn the key i get no yellow light

now one more anomaly is that currently the glow plugs are hooked up via a toggle switch to a solenoid to the glow plugs. this being said the power wire from the fuse box is not currently connected to anything. would this cause a circuit break, and cause no light? the switch is something the PO setup, and being the dead of winter i decided to leave it for now, and correct the wiring in the spring. but i'd like to at least see the light work for piece of mind that it will work when i use the original wiring and relay setup off the key.

Reply #1February 04, 2014, 08:42:00 am

Enslaved_Pickle

• User+

Re: gas - diesel swap, glow plug light not working
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:42:00 am »
When i did my diesel swap in my mk3 i also didn't have a dash light, ended up being the cluster harness that goes to the fuse block, the gas one i was using had 1 wire less thAn the diesel one, so i put the proper one in and voila :)

About the switch, are you saying the po's switch is hooked up and works to light the glow plug? And you simply put the relay in the fuse block? Or the whole glowplug circuit it hooked up and a toggle switch is hooked up on top of that?
Mk3 1.9L turbo diesel rat

Reply #2February 04, 2014, 08:49:42 pm

chrisg

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:49:42 pm »
the toggle is just a very simple two wire switch. power and ground and one wire goes to the bay, to a solenoid, then power goes from the solenoid to the plugs. its completely separate from the factory circuit. i just mentioned the setup incase there was an issue with the fact, the original glow plug power wire is not hooked up. I wasn't sure if this would cause a break in the circuit and cause the light to not function. i figure its the cluster harness.i went on a2resource, and found there should be a green/white wire. but there is none.

Reply #3September 15, 2014, 12:42:36 pm

914turboford

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 12:42:36 pm »
Made some progress on the swap over the weekend.

S-PAutomotive.com