S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Gunked up issue on 1.6 idi td  (Read 4611 times)

August 04, 2014, 09:47:10 pm

FrankenDiesel

• Junior

Gunked up issue on 1.6 idi td
« on: August 04, 2014, 09:47:10 pm »
I swapped a. 1.6td into a mk1 cabrio. The car was starting fine. I had replaced all feed/return lines and removed the pump from the sending unit and used fuel line as the pickup.

Last night it was hard starting, long cranks with sputters as if the glow plugs werent working. I got it to run, and parked it .

Today, i tried starting and shortly after noticed my fuel filter was packed with this jell looking stuff almost like big sugar bits. I removed this, and tried starting eith a jerry can . It barely started and then idled rough, adventually shutting off.

I cannot get the car to run now. I force fed diesel into the ip. I have. 12 v at the diesel shutoff switch key on. With lines cracked, at the injectors, all lines seep but cyl 3. They seem very air raided.

Any ideas? Did my ip get gummed or just air bound from cranking with a clogged filter?

Tomorrow i will be cranking the car with shutoff valve closed to get pump primed, then shutoff open and recracking the lines again.

Ps anyone in nj with a good cabrio tank pm me.

Reply #1August 05, 2014, 10:33:39 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Re: Gunked up issue on 1.6 idi td
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 10:33:39 pm »
Those Mk. I steel tanks were a real nightmare as the water accumulates over time. And, I suspect this one that you converted sat unused for a long while...right? I have seen so many of these cars water accumulate and internally rust. And, the rust particles would pass right through the Bosch fuel filters and destroy the gas fuel inj. systems.

I think you pump probably just got damaged. I was never so glad the day I sold my last Mk. I.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #2August 06, 2014, 04:44:57 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 04:44:57 pm »
I was wondering if it's a as to diesel conversion.
 Old gas will make "sugar" crystals as it sits in the tank and dries,.. the filter probably stopped it from getting to the pump.
Do you have clear fuel lines?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #3August 08, 2014, 05:54:55 pm

FrankenDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 05:54:55 pm »
Well i was running an inline clear filter like what mowers have. I noticed the crystals gunked the filter.

I did a couple of tests. I fed the pump with a jerry can of diesel and cracked lines at injectors. Stop solenoid had voltage. 1 and 2 got wet ehile 3 and 4 stayed dry. I disconnected the lines at the nozzles to see if there was a restrixtion and the same two cylinders werent firing. I gutted the stop solenoid and same thing.

I even put an inline low pressure pump and no change. I also checked in and out ports and filled them with diesel. I even tried gravity feeding the feed port.

Im thinking there is eithor a restriction in the pump or there is still air. I read about tow starting and i am not sure if thats a viable option for me.

Reply #4August 08, 2014, 11:13:51 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 11:13:51 pm »
Put the lines back on the injectors and crack the nuts at the back of the IP to see if all get wet there.  Then crack those on the top and see if all get wet.  Sometimes my engine starts OK with just two wet.  Once it revs up the air is gone in a hurry.  Pushed right out to the tank. 

Reply #5August 09, 2014, 09:47:05 am

FrankenDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 09:47:05 am »
The car wouldnt start with only two lines wet and the assist of silicone spray shot into the manifold.

Reply #6August 09, 2014, 11:33:15 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 11:33:15 pm »
the assist of silicone spray????  You mean WD 40??  I have not seen the addition of Silicone to the cylinders to assist start up. 

Reply #7August 10, 2014, 12:43:25 pm

FrankenDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 12:43:25 pm »
I worked for chrysler and a couple of diesel techs used silicone lube in a spray form to start quite a few cummins. We actually braight a 7.3 back to life with it. Its still an oil based substance

Reply #8August 10, 2014, 03:20:34 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 03:20:34 pm »
Maybe more the Propane that is in the can as propellant?  But it is an Oil based substance. 

Reply #9August 10, 2014, 06:01:16 pm

FrankenDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 06:01:16 pm »
Anyways back to my concern. If i disconnect the lines at pump and crank and only two cylinders fire, its eithor air or a pump failure(or clogging).

I tried gravity bleeding, low pressure fuel pump, filled ip with fuel and all have had no effect. Is there another manner i can confirm that the ip is purged of air so i do not have to look into buying a new ip?

Reply #10August 10, 2014, 11:23:24 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 11:23:24 pm »
At one time I took the timing belt off and with a 3/8ths inch shaft loaded into my 1/2 inch variable speed drill I was able to get a knuckle and another short shaft on a 17 or 19 mm socket and spin the pump at a good enough clip to throw a couple of stuck vanes out to the side enough to get me back in business.  I ran four hoses into a can at the back end and jumpered the solenoid open. 

Short of towing I don't know another way to spin that pump faster than that.  Park on treadmill and put it in 3rd? 

Reply #11August 15, 2014, 02:49:18 pm

FrankenDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 02:49:18 pm »
Im still having the same issue. Tow starting isnt an option. I had an inline pump with a vacuum pump on the out for more then an hour with no result. Im trying gravity bleedin with the pump now.

Funny thing is i cleaned all delivery valves and internals. When i put back togather i had no fuel spraying out of the valves. After a few minutes i can get he bottom two to spray a regular pattern. The upper two i couldnt.

There has to be a way to do this correctly. I 100% doubt that in the day the dealer would tow start any ip replaced vehicles....

Ps i do not want to pull the belt because thats another bit of shenanigans and yet another toool i have to buy. I find it hard to believe the troubles you guys state just to get fuel in the ip

Reply #12August 15, 2014, 11:50:24 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 11:50:24 pm »
Dealers have the ability to bench run the pump.  You do too but you have to take it out of the car to do so and that is not a good solution for you as you haven't the tools to reset the timing.

Reply #13August 15, 2014, 11:58:41 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 11:58:41 pm »
I've installed a boatload of injection pumps on vw diesels, new, rebuilt and used and have never once resorted to tow-starting.  There have been a couple pumps that needed an electric lift pump before they would run and then after running the lift pump could be removed and they would work fine. 

Reply #14September 17, 2014, 01:10:46 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 01:10:46 am »
Your problem with Inj Pump definitely sounds more obstruction/clog related , and less priming related.

Pulling the timing belt will cause you no big deal.
If you can secure a healthy 1/2" electric drill with a socket adapter bit - you can run the IP like that and see what gives.
Some of your Injectors may have the same issue. fwiw

To reinstall the belt all you need are a suitable size deep well socket for Inj Pump lock pin and a flat file or old door hinge (household type) for Cam lock bar. A new belt would alter the Dynamic Injection Timing - the same belt should remain constant enough to be simple if any adjustment needed by ear.

BE SURE TO GET TO #1 TDC BEFORE REMOVING BELT.   ;)

I'm more curious why it wouldn't run off the dope you sprayed in it.
I won't do that on a diesel that is nice or important - but it should have fired off at least for a bit or two.    ???

Not enough cranking speed/power perhaps ?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 01:15:28 am by Baron VonZeppelin »

Fixmyvw.com