Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Valve cover leak - 9th try  (Read 16273 times)

Reply #45September 08, 2014, 11:45:56 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re: Valve cover leak - 9th try
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2014, 11:45:56 pm »
You know... I haven't even thought about the cam seal
 Do those go bad often? I've never pulled the cam or anything
 Dunno about the PO.

That makes a lot of sense with the place it's leaking. Its getting all over my tbelt and throwing oil around :( I tightened it down a bit and it seems to have cut the leaking back a bit. Might have just been a little gingerly on it the first time and had some oil coming off the back of the head. I'll take it off this weekend and do as advised. If it persists I guess I'll pull the cam... Gulp :-[
'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #46September 09, 2014, 12:32:09 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2014, 12:32:09 pm »
If the cam seal is bad then the intermediate shaft seal and crank seal should be done at the same time.  All three seals are all the exact same part number (these days) and will have seen the same amount of wear.  No sense replacing one without doing the others.  T-belt needs to be removed for any of them, no sense doing it again.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #47September 09, 2014, 07:47:29 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2014, 07:47:29 pm »
I never had a valve cover seal until I got a G60 aluminum one. They always leaked. No amount of flat hammering or vice work did the trick. I haven't tried an aaz or ahu cover yet, but I am sure they will be problematic as well.

I just received my brand new one piece rubber gasket and cast g60 Valve cover today. I'm already using Allen bolts vs. Studs so installation should be a snap. My question is: with a new rubber gasket and cast valve cover can I install this dry? Or should I add something to it? My last attempt with the old one piece rubber gasket and stock cover was with the right stuff on both sides of the gasket all the way around and let it sit over night and I still got a (smaller) leak. So I'm a bit paranoid at this point.

I don't think silicone makes a good seal with rubber so I don't put it on the gasket except for one spot, which is the front side of the head where that loop of rubber rides on top of the cam bearing block/seal housing thing. I put the silicone in the corners where that meets the flat part of the head and all along the groove the rubber rests in, I mostly do this to keep the thing in place because I've had them move out of the groove when I installed the valve cover and it leaked there. I also use the actual G60 gasket instead of the rubber-metal composite one. The G60 gaskets I've got were flexible and had little rubber tabs that protruded down and gripped the head, they work really well.

Reply #48September 10, 2014, 12:58:57 am

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2014, 12:58:57 am »
Rubber gaskets are always installed dry. Anything slippery like sealer or RTV will cause them to spit out or worse, split.

Did you RTV the cam bearing cap? I have seen lots of leaks there.

I have also seen seal bores no longer concentric with the the centerline of the cam.

Either way, use a new VITON seal, not a black vinyl one. They have a very short life especially if not lubed on installation. Lube the inside of the seal with CLEAN grease and RTV the seal into the head and cap and put a dab of RTV on the mating surface of the cap as well.

Use ONLY OEM RTV. If it does not say OEM on the box its not. If you can't find it, try any dealership. Ford and Chevy will likely be cheaper than VW. Every auto maker uses the stuff. Not one uses the so called "super whiz bang ultra" parts store stuff.

I used to think that lubing  a new seal was BS until I worked for a German import shop that did a lot of older vehicles. Every one that I did not lube was back in 3 weeks leaking again. (Guess who got to fix 'em for free?) None of the lubed ones ever leaked a drop. Vinyl Seals are such crap they need every advantage just to do there job at all.

If you don't believe this go and buy a rear main seal for a Volvo or Ford 2.3 from the dealership. They come pre greased.

Reply #49September 10, 2014, 09:47:09 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2014, 09:47:09 am »
I think I finally got mine sorted...

I ended up using some Permatex High-Tack Gasket Adhesive.  Used brake cleaner on all the surfaces, used some cardboard to mask the head and did the adhesive spray on the head, the gasket and the valve cover itself. 

Now I need to fix my leaky power steering high pressure hose... joy.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #50October 21, 2014, 10:31:15 am

Rising

• Veteran

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2014, 10:31:15 am »
I got mine fixed! It was the cam seal
'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #51October 21, 2014, 11:26:06 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2014, 11:26:06 am »
I got mine fixed! It was the cam seal

Told ya :D Not all people put the cam seal in correctly.