Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Part throttle surging and wierd noise  (Read 9778 times)

Reply #45May 31, 2014, 09:07:09 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: Part throttle surging and wierd noise
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2014, 09:07:09 pm »
Years ago when I tried to reseal my first pump I tried to use that ribbed seal because of the shape.  But I recall it tweaking the pump lid so its the only reason I wondered if something was wrong.

Somebody told me to use the round one with vaseline and I have done so with 4+ pumps that are still in service and none of those pumps have leaked a drop.
IIRC, some folks shave off the nubs and used the shaped seal. I have heard of the intact nubbed version being fat enough to crack the case.

Reply #46June 01, 2014, 11:30:51 pm

8v-of-fury!

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2014, 11:30:51 pm »
I've resealed probably close to 50-55 pumps and I have always used the shaped seal. Granted, I do shave the nubs off the side. Fits perfectly that way. I have never tried the other seal, so I cannot comment on those ones unfortunately.

If it works, doesn't matter to me. ;)

Reply #47June 02, 2014, 02:04:53 am

Rising

• Veteran

Re:
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2014, 02:04:53 am »
Geez! Cracked pump tops from an itsy baby rubber seal! I never knew nubbs could cause so much trouble haha!

Well anyway if I take the cover off again maybe I'll pull the seal out and shave the nubbs. But again its sealing and doesn't appear to be cracked so I'm satisfied right now. ;) thanks again for all the help guys.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #48June 03, 2014, 07:13:53 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2014, 07:13:53 pm »
 There is a long stretch of thin aluminum running down the side of the lid,.. that's what broke out when I didn't shave the nubs enough.
 I used to just snip them instead of razoring them close.
 After that I switched to the flimsy lid seal and had problems with it staying in place while I lined up the LDA lever and idle RPM bump lever,
pinched one and it leaked so I went back to the shaped seal and started trimming with the razor blade.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block