Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: In progress mini-refresh  (Read 8595 times)

Reply #15June 06, 2014, 03:14:14 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: In progress mini-refresh
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 03:14:14 pm »
Followup on the "bleeder" on the filter mount (or on top of the mk2 filters)...

My acute deductive talents (AKA reading the manual) indicate the port is to be opened when draining water from bottom the filter.

Reply #16June 06, 2014, 03:52:36 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 03:52:36 pm »
Followup on the "bleeder" on the filter mount (or on top of the mk2 filters)...

My acute deductive talents (AKA reading the manual) indicate the port is to be opened when draining water from bottom the filter.

There's a manual?  lol

I actually have one from my 81 somewhere.  I've never had any water come out of that drain, I just replace the filter a time
or two a year which is probably overkill.  I ended up plugging the hole with a bolt to get the clearance I wanted to the heater lines after lowering the
mount to clear the strut tower brace.  Which I may not be able to use anyway depending on how plumbing the airbox to the
intake goes.  Hardpipe with couplings ain't happening, ordered some SCAT ducting form aircraftspruce to see if it'll
cram in there.

I am so sick of this tiny ass engine bay.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #17June 09, 2014, 07:05:13 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Re: Re: In progress mini-refresh
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 07:05:13 pm »
  think I solved the intake pipe problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #18June 20, 2014, 01:01:27 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 01:01:27 pm »
So the SCAT ducting fit, barely.

Spherical rod ends are awesome for shift linkage.  Have teflon bushings form Roger and a weighted shift rod as well. 
And I sprung for one of those mushmiester dealys form USRT, mostly because I'd been drinking and was browsing parts.

This is going to become a less crappy downpipe than stock at some point..

And I gave up and orderd a 2" Techtonics exhaust.

While I didn't bother doing a lot of math that should be more than sufficient for the intake and exhaust.

Need to fill fluids, finish the exhaust, finally put the rear SS brake lines on and bleed system, and I think that'll be about it.
Till whatever needs tweaking presents itself.

Mentat Text Two

Reply #19June 23, 2014, 12:27:04 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 12:27:04 am »

Figured what the hell, drivers side is clean, might as well fix this one.

Still, sigh. 
Mentat Text Two

Reply #20June 23, 2014, 10:13:56 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 10:13:56 am »
"Spherical rod ends are awesome for shift linkage.  Have teflon bushings form Roger and a weighted shift rod as well. 
And I sprung for one of those mushmiester dealys form USRT, mostly because I'd been drinking and was browsing parts."

Was there a problem with shifting with the stock setup? Re the colorful intake hose, will it stand up to engine environment long term? You wouldn't want to have a leak develop/ suck dirty air and not know it's happening.

Reply #21June 23, 2014, 10:19:26 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 10:19:26 am »
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ShiftLinkage.shtml

same as this setup I would imagine. Seems like the stock linkages wears very quickly, at least here in ohio they do. Upgrading to rod ends or similar make it basically a non wear item. All you have to do is grease it every year and all is like the day you installed it.

Reply #22June 23, 2014, 11:54:13 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 11:54:13 am »
Yeah, I've got Rogers teflon bushings.  The stock stuff when brand new and carefully adjusted is "ok" at best.
Figured I'd try something different.  There is for sure less play and more precision/adjustability in the linkage.
Plus it should last for ages.  One of the biggest problems with NA diesels is to utilize what little power they have,
you need to be able to shift quickly.  I've had a bunch of these cars and replaced all the same parts, run different
trans, good fluid, etc, etc, even the best setups it takes 2 or 3x the time to shift as most cars and not be abusing the thing with
brute force which I'm not willing to do.  I hope this setup will add enough precision that I can cut some time down
between gears.  I extended the shift arm a bit to lower the for/aft throw some too, and it has a weighted shift rod.

I may well discover once the linkage is performing better that the trans is just tired, most of them are, but at least
then I'll know and not be left wondering.  I thought hard about an 02A swap but it just wasn't worth it for what I do.

Mentat Text Two

Reply #23June 29, 2014, 05:57:26 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 05:57:26 pm »

Was there a problem with shifting with the stock setup? Re the colorful intake hose, will it stand up to engine environment long term? You wouldn't want to have a leak develop/ suck dirty air and not know it's happening.

Oh, and http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/scat.php

I might wrap the abrasion prone areas in really good duct tape, but it'll probly be ok.
It was the only solution to using that intake, a strut bar, and a stock airbox, I had envisioned a hardpipe
between the two couplers but that wasn't happening. 

Mentat Text Two

Reply #24July 04, 2014, 11:24:20 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 11:24:20 am »
Less-crappy and non-$300 downpipe is happening slowly.

And some non-30yo-rubber rear brake lines.  Nothing says professional like ziptied brakelines btw.  Also pictured: TT 2" exhaust which exceeded my
expectations for $198 shipped.

And I found a place making the clear fuel line, so I got the factory turbo length one to better fit the top mounted fuel filter.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:26:15 am by wolf_walker »
Mentat Text Two

Reply #25July 04, 2014, 11:41:31 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 11:41:31 am »

Oh, and http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/scat.php

I might wrap the abrasion prone areas in really good duct tape, but it'll probly be ok.
It was the only solution to using that intake, a strut bar, and a stock airbox, I had envisioned a hardpipe
between the two couplers but that wasn't happening. 

Looks similar in construction to the hoses the Porta-John trucks use. lol Spec temperature wise seems ok.

Reply #26July 05, 2014, 02:39:30 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2014, 02:39:30 am »
I hope for the sake of all mankind the p-jon stuff is heavier.  I'd trust this with air but not..  Other stuff..  lol

Mentat Text Two

Reply #27July 05, 2014, 09:54:33 am

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
Duct
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2014, 09:54:33 am »
What is th od of the two intakes, looks like a 1.6 mkii td airbox

you should be installing over not inside the intakes

I make that stuff also

http://www.csobeech.com/GeeBee-HeatDuct.html
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #28July 05, 2014, 12:56:02 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2014, 12:56:02 pm »
65mm OD intake, 70od airbox I believe they were.  The SCAT tubing is affixed and sealed inside the silicone couplers.
It's plenty for a NA motor to breathe through I think.
There wasn't anything else I could find that would contort squish and twist where it must and still fit those
two size openings.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #29July 05, 2014, 05:58:14 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 05:58:14 pm »
Understand

I have to make a 180 turn, then a  to a 60 degree to the mkii td airbox

using this exhaust manifold and turbo

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/tubular-top-mounted-manifold-for-1-9-tdi-with-gtb-turbocharger.html

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/garrett-gtb2260vk-gtb2056vk-and-gtb1756vk-turbocharger-with-vacuum-conversion.html

The only option is to run a lh side airbox, I already moved  the battery under the bed

I do like this airfilter assy as its best of both worlds
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390515779701?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1427.l2649#ht_2545wt_983

GB
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Fixmyvw.com