Author Topic: A nice headlight upgrade TruView  (Read 4673 times)

September 04, 2014, 10:03:22 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
A nice headlight upgrade TruView
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:03:22 pm »
I had a headlight go out in my mk3 daily turd, i even got pulled over by a cop who also had a headlight out.  So i stopped at napa and i told them i'd like to replace both, and he says hey for a few more dollars you can try these, and he showed me the TruView Long view headlights, they have a longer range and are supposed to be a more white light.  I looked at the display and i saw what they call their TruView Safety lite it says "Tricolor light disbursement for optimal viewing"  I got the safety lights because i really do not care so much about distance, but more about visibility and the quality of what i am seeing especially in rain, fog, and snow.

I have only gotten to drive with them for 1 night but i really like them, the color is very vivid almost like you're wearing those weird tinted sunglasses, like the as seen on tv hd sunglasses.  I even had someone flash their high beams at me while i was going up a hill, they must have thought my brights were on. 

the part number is 9004sl2  I think they were 26 for both lights, i thought it was an impressive upgrade for just swapping bulbs.

if anyone is interested i can go and take pictures with the old bulb and a new one in.

01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #1September 05, 2014, 08:43:10 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: A nice headlight upgrade TruView
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 08:43:10 am »
way cool. I would love to see the comparison

Reply #2September 05, 2014, 09:28:14 am

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:28:14 am »
I installed these 5 years ago on my Caddy. 
Word of warning.  You must wire your low and high beams with relays, or you will constanly loose your headlamps in use due to over-amp condition.
The low beams are adequate for any scenarios, and the high beams can land aircraft, they are so bright, wide, and high.

Wonderful lights, far superior to sealed beams. 
When you flash your HIGH beam on someone who refuses the courtesy to dim, the choice is clear, dim or be blinded.

Wayne

Reply #3September 05, 2014, 06:16:09 pm

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 06:16:09 pm »
I installed these 5 years ago on my Caddy. 
Word of warning.  You must wire your low and high beams with relays, or you will constanly loose your headlamps in use due to over-amp condition.
The low beams are adequate for any scenarios, and the high beams can land aircraft, they are so bright, wide, and high.

Wonderful lights, far superior to sealed beams. 
When you flash your HIGH beam on someone who refuses the courtesy to dim, the choice is clear, dim or be blinded.

Wayne

So what is the bulb wattage on high and low? Sounds like it must be higher then oem......

Reply #4September 05, 2014, 08:48:57 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 08:48:57 pm »
Also, do they make them in H4?

Reply #5September 08, 2014, 07:54:25 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 07:54:25 am »
ill take pictures tonight, the ones i got were called Safety Lites, but i think its the same as the "night defense"

81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #6September 08, 2014, 08:15:13 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:17:30 am by RabbitJockey »

Reply #7September 08, 2014, 09:19:20 am

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 09:19:20 am »
When I first installed mine, they were 100watt bright (blue) white.  Wow.  Bright.  I was often flashed on dim to 'dim my lights'.  Those bulbs lasted about 6 months, which probably is a year or more,  as I really rack the miles.  I always use lights.  I replaced them with 55w readily available, and have more than enough light. I still get flashed on dim some, but those 100 watt were actally too bright and rude.  I saw them from another car and I deserved to get flashed.  I keep a set of bulbs, but the 55w seem to last.  Love the lights.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:13:52 pm by DogDiesel »

Reply #8September 08, 2014, 02:36:29 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 02:36:29 pm »
I do not think that anything i have is a higher wattage but ill check when i am home.

Reply #9September 12, 2014, 05:06:28 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 05:06:28 pm »
I cannot recommend the 100Watt setup. 
First they just are too bright.  .   
Second, the higher the wattage the less longevity on the bulb.
For sure you will get flashed on dim to dim them, also, a ticket is likely, do your own risk analysis on that.
A 55 Watt set up will out-light halogens with no problem.  Sure they both  bolt  (or screw) right in, but the metal backing plates on the Caddy were not designed for  the rear bulb removal and hook it back up.   So when those bright bulbs blow, you must pull the front retainer ring, disconnect the headlamp, pull it out, then put the bulb in from the rear... It will likely be at night in the auto parts parking lot with a phillips head screwdriver, a flash light and curse on your lip.
Can you see why 55 watt, which seem to last forever is a real good deal.  Changing bulbs every six month or year, forget it.

Wayne

S-PAutomotive.com