S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Who doesn't like a meaningful autopsy?  (Read 5428 times)

Reply #15August 23, 2014, 02:01:33 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Re: Who doesn't like a meaningful autopsy?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 02:01:33 pm »
This engine did NOT receive a new oil pump. As a matter of fact, I have only installed a new oil pump on one of the rebuilds I have done (and that was to ensure the "expensive machine shop" would still give me their warranty on their work.

The oil pump which is currently in this engine is the USED oil pump (from my pile of parts with totally unknown origin in this case) I gave to my friend back when the filter popped.

This pump has been thoroughly disassembled, checked for wear (which did not exist), and then I removed the oil pressure valve and deburred/cleaned it up with 1000 grit paper and also rotated 1000 grit in the valve body bore (as a primitive ream-job) to help ensure that valve stick would not happen to me.

You see, these pumps put out such an ample amount of oil that reducing the flow somewhat (by cleaning the relief valve) is NOT a problem. The problem occurs when your valve sticks and skyrockets the pressure. THIS is why a person who fits a larger pump to correct bearing destruction is only playing a game with himself. Much like urinating in a hurricane. But, to each his own.

The pump was reassembled and cotter-pinned closed with the aid of "Theman's" helpful pictures. If you do this, remember that you drill the hole for the cotter pin PRIOR to dis-assembly/removal of the valve and it's end-cap holder.

This engine now has about 1200 miles on it and runs like a molested Chihuahua. The exhaust ports received a healthy dose of porting and the exhaust downpipe and pipe and went to (only) 2 inch diameter. This honestly removed ALL turbo lag. I am very pleased with how this runs.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Fixmyvw.com