S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: AHU-tdi referbesh  (Read 5743 times)

May 13, 2014, 01:15:22 pm

air-cooled or diesel

AHU-tdi referbesh
« on: May 13, 2014, 01:15:22 pm »
hi guys; this the first post for me in the tdi category
so i've had this 98 jetta tdi(ahu) i had go down a couple of years ago. it has sat around for a few months. well i got around to pulling the head the other day, hoping i only had to replace the complete head, which i have, well except for finding the 3rd and last exhaust nut for flange, got head off. now need a pair of pistons to go with the package. the exhaust valve on #2 melted and the stem went thru the valve face into the piston, #1 piston also has aluminum melted into it. so 2 new german pistons, and a full assortment of parts from autohauz. the pistons are about now leaving germany ;D ;D. so by mon i ll have the full assortment of parts and can put her back together. i have only one problem of this engine design; too many fancy electronics, the inj pump electronics and turbo electrical and the need and size of ecm. a diesel dont need so much, but other than that she's a real runner. the cylinders are in like new condition, i doubt id have to even scuff them up, which i will,,rod bearings were in like condition too  8) gottaluvit.
anyway im having a difficult finding a scan tool to time my inj pump, either a part# or someone who carries it. the timing tools i have for my 1.6 fit the ahu so i have everything else.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:38:06 pm by air-cooled or diesel »

Reply #1May 13, 2014, 03:54:27 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
Re: AHU-tdi referbersh
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 03:54:27 pm »
Iam not using the follow from my AHU engine

pump
ecu
wiring harness
turbo
manifold
intake manifold

If you need anything
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #2May 13, 2014, 08:27:52 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 08:27:52 pm »
Make sure rods not bent too....

Why pistons melted??

Rover pump = no computer

Wastegate turbo u can instal boost controller...

So in theory can make 1 wire like old idi...

Reply #3May 13, 2014, 09:18:59 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 09:18:59 pm »
I don't know about the ahu but I know the alh you have to replace the rods and mains every time you loosen them with new bolts.

Reply #4May 14, 2014, 01:00:28 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re:
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 01:00:28 am »
AHU has stretch mains for sure. Not sure about rod bolts, my IE Rods came with ARP.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #5May 14, 2014, 12:10:55 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 12:10:55 pm »
i got all the parts coming, got tty rod bolt coming,
maybe over the next few months i might explore down sizing ecm and electronic controls, but it has a good record this far, i only hate it because a good diesel doenst need but minimal electronics to just a single soleniod. but as long as ecm holds up i may stick with it, i not really hot about a swapping this pump. or turbo. and i cannt go all analog with this setup i dont think.
it looks like the valve face melted(exhaust) and the valve stem jammed the piston pretty good, the head melted some between valves and piston melted some, cyl #1 piston was also gone,, al melted in top of it. looks like No other damage, which is real promicing. rod seems fine, and piston didnt take a real heavy blow, i think am hoping im fine. bearings that came out were in early life, almost no wear. :)
i got all parts coming, and already have a head. so i'll scuff cyls and clean everything up, cyls #3&4 im not even touching, just some pre-lube and i dont even have to measure piston protrusion in #3&4.
so by monday i'll be getting the last of the parts and be getting ready for re-assemble.
the only thing i lack is the electronic 'scan' timing tool.
well back on the phone, im gonna see if i can land some rims.

Reply #6May 14, 2014, 12:37:03 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 12:37:03 pm »
If you are going to keep it electronic you really need to get VAG Com...

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

This will do what you need for the AHU - this is their older interface and will talk to pre-CANBUS cars (1995-2003 for VW):

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCKII.html

...but if you think you might get a newer car in the future, spend the $100 extra and get this one:

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html

It will work with basically anything 1995 -> today.

There's quite a number of things you can tweak with either interface on the AHU beyond the timing too, like glow plug intervals, I think you can adjust idle speed, things like that.
Bryn

Reply #7May 14, 2014, 05:30:04 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 05:30:04 pm »
If hot nuff to melt head... Rings in all 4 holes... They loose temper at melted head stage...

Reply #8May 15, 2014, 03:09:07 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 03:09:07 pm »
thanks guys, let me look up that web site, having a time getting anyone who still has a listing for that tool; so I read the manual really for the 1st time that deep, so I know I need scan tool;vag1552,or 1551.looking,,looking,,looking,
got some pics, maybe I can post tomorrow, getting some prep work out of the way, like loctiteing the studs some assy to head, scuff cyls today, and coat and cover. coat w/kero until I have the parts, and clean for last time, pre-lube, I got some fancy stuff, amsoil assy lube, goey. that will have to wait till I get pistons I also need some rod bearings too pita to find,, 2 gaskets for egr sys and a rusted bolt or 2 to replace.

Reply #9May 15, 2014, 07:39:29 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 07:39:29 pm »
thanks guys, let me look up that web site, having a time getting anyone who still has a listing for that tool; so I read the manual really for the 1st time that deep, so I know I need scan tool;vag1552,or 1551.looking,,looking,,looking,
got some pics, maybe I can post tomorrow, getting some prep work out of the way, like loctiteing the studs some assy to head, scuff cyls today, and coat and cover. coat w/kero until I have the parts, and clean for last time, pre-lube, I got some fancy stuff, amsoil assy lube, goey. that will have to wait till I get pistons I also need some rod bearings too pita to find,, 2 gaskets for egr sys and a rusted bolt or 2 to replace.

The Ross-tech link I put above is a much better alternative to the VAG1552 or VAG1551.  It will do everything those tools will plus more.
Bryn

Reply #10May 19, 2014, 04:51:16 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 04:51:16 pm »
so i have some pics, but cannt post yet, as i have dial-up here. i ll post soon.
for AHU engines @ getvwparts.com iirc the web site, i found rod tty bolts for around $4 and main tty for around $3 each, i got a few sets, real good price compared to other prices i was quoted.

Reply #11May 27, 2014, 05:01:23 pm

air-cooled or diesel

Re: AHU-tdi referbesh
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 05:01:23 pm »
well in the interuim before i can post some pics, and the interium while i wait on getting started on reassembling the motor;
the whole problem started with hard cold starting, so car went into the shop,, well shop changed glow plug relay, one problem this model has 3 glow plug relays, the one, the kind of crappy shop put in wasnt the right one, and the original(factory) got tossed. well it seems the relay they put in ruined the ignition column. got that fixed. somehow, a few weeks later this happened, when i can post pics you can see. piston 2 took a good hit from what was left of the exhaust valve, and #1 started to eat its self and the head up.
the real problem at this point is finding a new rod, i may need to order a new set, i ll know by tomorrow. the 1 rod (#2) is gone unfortunately. as mine are weighted at 66, so if i can get like real lucky and find one same weight or heavier, my guy i figure can balance it. real bummer, and i have to wait it out for the parts; again, esp after long weekend.  :'(
well im starting on suspension for now, wont take long to put back together, all new rubber and most everything else all-around. (about the only thing im keeping is the control arms, and stock springs)
so unfortunalely im not done and back together yet, when i find a rod or get a complete set(seems like it also will come straight for germany too) i can go to the next step.
anyone got a good rod that weighs 66 or more they can part with?

Reply #12May 27, 2014, 05:22:07 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 05:22:07 pm »
Iam not using the follow from my AHU engine

pump
ecu
wiring harness
turbo
manifold
intake manifold

If you need anything
i may need a ahu turbo, i may be in touch;
do you possibly have rods your not using? i only need 1 at this point, and it needs to weigh 66 or more,,

Reply #13May 27, 2014, 05:24:55 pm

air-cooled or diesel

Re: AHU-tdi referbesh
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 05:24:55 pm »
i forgot, the head i bought for this f*en prick in nevada, i hope isnt chineese, i did pay him a good $1300, it only has a casting # stamped into it, and he did say he was going to order it from germany, what ever that means, he could have said anything.

Reply #14May 27, 2014, 06:42:40 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re:
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 06:42:40 pm »
I have a complete set of 4 AHU rods if you need a matched set.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Bryn

S-PAutomotive.com