S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Please help me figure out a turbo setup.  (Read 5465 times)

May 04, 2014, 10:55:09 pm

offalot

• User+

Please help me figure out a turbo setup.
« on: May 04, 2014, 10:55:09 pm »
I posted this on the other site with no help. As a newby to tdi's I'm finding people over here are a lot more out of the box thinkers ( more Mtdi knowledge and such) So hopefully I can get some help here.

So I picked up a ALH TDI engine to swap into my caddy. It came without both manifolds and pump. I picked up a m, Rover pump and am exploring my options for a turbo setup. My goals for the motor aren't silly HP numbers. 150 would be awesome. Mainly I want the thing to be peppy, be able to tear out of a turn and not get bogged down before it rips the tires off. Now being the cheap SOB that I am, here are a couple of my options, that I am sure are riddled with flaws, and that's why I am here.
1. My buddy just picked up a 2.0TDI at his yard and I'm sure would sell me the stock setup off that. Not sure if that is a bolt on, and haven't looked into whats involved in controlling a VNT on an MTDI
2. An ebay kit for a gasser such as this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/T25-T04E-6PC-TURBO-KIT-MANIFOLD-WASTEGATE-OIL-FEED-AUDI-A4-VW-PASSPAT-1-8-PL45-/281176218385?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4177689b11&vxp=mtr
3. Or fab something up using one of the 1.6 idi manifolds I have laying around with a Mercedes 300SD turbo. Specs:TA0301 Garret T3 turbo
42/.48 A/R Which would be the cheapest route at almost free but am afraid the turbo may be a tad big.

Immediate mods I'll be doing is bigger injectors and probably using a starion intercooler.
I'm not committed to these three options. Just the ones I have come up with so far

Reply #1May 05, 2014, 09:17:25 am

CRSMP5

Re: Please help me figure out a turbo setup.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 09:17:25 am »
the stock little tdi turbo off the 96-99.5 mk3 with rover pump is like 150... but imo.. boost way to soon.. on hill, wet roads.. stopped.. its hard to find traction to get moving with out spinning tires.. i tend to use 2nd or 3rd to get moving its such a pain.. my plans are to use a old old t3 style set up off a mk1 td... just been sitting waiting to see if travis and or andy's hybreds work or break before i do it.. as i can build what they have as i have those parts too..

they used the t3 style with volvo cold side.. i snatched up a good wastegate.hot section off here a year ago.. for stock rebuild or custom hybred in mind.. for now with my moving and such.. im just using the stock style one.. up to #3 as i tend to kill them doing fun things like ohio to cali, tow car back from cali.. or killing a wrx and lifting my tdi head wasting it.. :D but i won.. :D all that mattered..

mk4+ style turbs are vnt.. so you will need to control that vs a wastegate.. imo wastegate gets me into stupid issues.. like smoking wrx.. and traction issues on hills when wet.. vnt IMO will be just as bad... need little lag off line..

Reply #2May 05, 2014, 11:04:13 am

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 11:04:13 am »
KO3/KO4 hybrid

get he nozzles matched

pd150 intake

race pipe /egr delete

downpipe 2.5 from techtonics

relocate battery under bed

lets work together on this , I will be having a custom dual outlet ( same side ) intercooler

I will be making complete silicone pipes for the intercooler
turbo to intercooler
intercooler to intake

I make mk1 snorkels with a single crankcase inlet with what ever size turbo ( inlet ) you want
this will attach to a mk1td airbox or a k&n intake filter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vw-Mk1-Golf-Pickup-Caddy-Turbo-Diesel-SILICONE-Intake-Air-Manifold-Hose-Kit-/360395373233?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e93cfab1&vxp=mtr#ht_3078wt_983

I own the tooling for this stuff

[email protected]

Iam also doing a m-tdi build with o2a/peloquin trans

Just ordered my engine mounts and trans mounts today
http://www.epytec.de/kategorien/motor-und-getriebe-halter/golf-caddy-scirocco-1/
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #3May 05, 2014, 12:49:06 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 12:49:06 pm »
lots of options for a  turbo in that hp range, but he211w is probably best bang for the buck, i wouldn't use the starion intercooler either, you could probably get a better one cheap on ebay. 
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #4May 05, 2014, 06:19:33 pm

offalot

• User+

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 06:19:33 pm »
Don't think any of the options I mentioned in the first post are viable? Not sure what snail came on the 2.0, but I'd imagine it would be bigger than the stock 1.9 setup. I know someone on here used a benz turbo but their goals are probably different than mine, Fast rather than quick.
Again, just trying to stay in a conservative budget.
What would be wrong with the Starion IC? Seems to be a decent size and the stock piping brings both inlet and outlet to the same side. I also have a nice fat side mount I could use but the starion seemed a little better.
Thanks for the input guys!

Gee Bee, I did relocate the battery behind the pass. seat. A little more accessible than under the bed.

Reply #5May 05, 2014, 07:38:10 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 07:38:10 pm »
Thats why you run 1/0 cable to a BMW remote positive terminal , the starter and postive wires run into it..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-BMW-328i-E36-Under-Hood-Positive-Battery-Jump-Start-Terminal-Box-/161258450179?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ABMW&hash=item258bc0ad03&vxp=mtr#ht_969wt_983

very clean install, keeping battery away from engine last longer also

GB
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #6May 05, 2014, 10:37:03 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 10:37:03 pm »
Holset HE211W/HE200WG:

Used to be called HE211W, now they are mostly branded with HE200WG and I've even seen one with HE221W on the tag  (yep, original Holset, not China copy crap)

Only cast compressor wheel available, no ported shroud housings
5cm turbine housing, at least two different outlet flanges available

Compressor:
Exducer: 56mm
Inducer: 40.6mm
6+6 blades (early prototypes used to be 4+4, now obsoleted)
53 Trim

Turbine:
Inducer: 46.6mm
Exducer: 41.3mm
79 Trim
11 blades

Not as good surge margin as the bigger HE221W since there is no ported shroud compressor housing but much better compressor efficiency! As normally, all Holsets have 360° thrust bearings stock and they take a serious beating!

Max airflow = 31.6lbs/min (HE221W = 37.8lbs/min)

If you could find a similar sized Mitsubishi turbo it would take the same kind of abuse.

Reply #7May 06, 2014, 10:40:50 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 10:40:50 am »
Don't think any of the options I mentioned in the first post are viable? Not sure what snail came on the 2.0, but I'd imagine it would be bigger than the stock 1.9 setup. I know someone on here used a benz turbo but their goals are probably different than mine, Fast rather than quick.
Again, just trying to stay in a conservative budget.
What would be wrong with the Starion IC? Seems to be a decent size and the stock piping brings both inlet and outlet to the same side. I also have a nice fat side mount I could use but the starion seemed a little better.
Thanks for the input guys!

Gee Bee, I did relocate the battery behind the pass. seat. A little more accessible than under the bed.

I think they're all viable, but the 2.0 turbo is going to be vnt, so it will be a bit of a trick to make it work on an mtdi, and the mercedes turbo is ancient, so until you bought it, and had it rebuilt then installed it, you could have spent just a little more money and got a turbo like the he211w that is leaps and bounds better in everyway.

starion intercooler isn't completely terrible, and is certainly better than nothing, i was just stating that thing is 25 years old, you could get a much newer and even a larger one for cheap.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #8May 08, 2014, 05:23:59 am

Alcaid

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 05:23:59 am »
Holset HE211W/HE200WG:

Used to be called HE211W, now they are mostly branded with HE200WG and I've even seen one with HE221W on the tag  (yep, original Holset, not China copy crap)

Only cast compressor wheel available, no ported shroud housings
5cm turbine housing, at least two different outlet flanges available

Compressor:
Exducer: 56mm
Inducer: 40.6mm
6+6 blades (early prototypes used to be 4+4, now obsoleted)
53 Trim

Turbine:
Inducer: 46.6mm
Exducer: 41.3mm
79 Trim
11 blades

Not as good surge margin as the bigger HE221W since there is no ported shroud compressor housing but much better compressor efficiency! As normally, all Holsets have 360° thrust bearings stock and they take a serious beating!

Max airflow = 31.6lbs/min (HE221W = 37.8lbs/min)

If you could find a similar sized Mitsubishi turbo it would take the same kind of abuse.

That text looks familiar ;)

There is one on ebay right now for 1000USD, I can still get these for a much better price, they are now 650USD shipping included
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:26:47 am by Alcaid »
'03 VW Golf PD130 4Motion Highline
'10 VW Passat 1.6TDI Highline
'83 VW Jetta 1.6TD, 11mm pump, H-beam rods, girdle, fully reworked AAZ head +++ Going Compound ;)

Reply #9May 10, 2014, 08:45:21 am

offalot

• User+

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 08:45:21 am »

I think they're all viable, but the 2.0 turbo is going to be vnt, so it will be a bit of a trick to make it work on an mtdi, and the mercedes turbo is ancient, so until you bought it, and had it rebuilt then installed it, you could have spent just a little more money and got a turbo like the he211w that is leaps and bounds better in everyway.

starion intercooler isn't completely terrible, and is certainly better than nothing, i was just stating that thing is 25 years old, you could get a much newer and even a larger one for cheap.

Yeah, looking into it, I can't seem to find a good straight forward mechanical VNT setup, lots of hearsay but no good standards. The benz turbo's age doesn't really scare me too much, but I am thinking it may be a little big for what I am looking for (pep).  Kind of seems to be the same case with the ebay turbo setup I posted, not to mention it points the turbo towards the firewall. Not sure if I have the clearance.