S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Preferred NA exhaust manifold?  (Read 3232 times)

April 17, 2014, 02:18:39 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Preferred NA exhaust manifold?
« on: April 17, 2014, 02:18:39 am »
I remember years ago, I used an a2 chassis toilet bowl because it was obviously larger than the A1 piece.
Least I think I do, its been awhile.

I have on the NA AAZ now one off a GTI of some sort, dual downpipe, with the tiny ass cast elbow at the bottom end.

That tiny elbow is going away soon, and I was wondering if there is any particularly good flowing NA exhaust manifold that
fits I should look for?   

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #1April 17, 2014, 07:33:40 am

CRSMP5

Re: Preferred NA exhaust manifold?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 07:33:40 am »
For a mk 2 any duel mk2/mk3 manifolds....

Mk1.... Euro gti, bigger then usa duel.... 83 usa caddy gasser with cat gutted, uses usa diesel clip on duel manifold from 81 to84... Europe used them in 83 up mk1 chassies gasser and all, no cat duel down pipe... The replacement for euro gti basically.... Id find that dp... Use on na diesel... That manifold, down pipe set up, even though spring clip, has ports big in size like mk3... 2.0/16v just so rair in na that no one knows

Reply #2April 17, 2014, 11:41:18 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:41:18 am »
Interesting, but it sounds like more hassle to find than I'm willing to put into it lol.

I assume that pretty tubular AEG one will break and/or be really loud on a diesel?

Supposedly from what I read, there was an early A4 NA gasser mani that has the center dump
but is made more like the A2/3 was.  I'm yet to find one for sale.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #3April 17, 2014, 12:37:55 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:37:55 pm »
yeah mk4 2.0 is a tubular manifold, and said to be the best flowing stock manifold, also i believe it fits the same form as mk2/mk3 dual downpipe manifolds, so you should be able to get a mk4 2.0 manifold and a tt dual down pipe meant for a mk2/mk3 manifold on a mk1, and have a a really good flowing setup, although they're down pipes are pretty expensive unless you can find a used one.  it could end up being a cheaper and better to find a header, as long as it will work with the taller block
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #4April 17, 2014, 07:48:55 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:48:55 pm »
Hmm, good info.

Being realistic, I'll probly stick with what I have and just rebuild the downpipe.  It's kinda ghetto and I suspect it's going to hit the sway bar.

When I get it off and can do some observing and measuring I might look at a later diesel toilet bowl, the outlet size is pretty decent,
and it'd be a LOT easier to weld up a fat downpipe to match it than whatever I'm going to end up cobbling together for the dual down one.

I wonder what VW ran for exhaust on the 1Y motors.

edit, apparently this.  http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/733/img4381m.jpg
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 07:50:37 pm by wolf_walker »
Mentat Text Two

Reply #5April 18, 2014, 09:36:30 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 09:36:30 am »
That 1Y exhaust looks very similar to the MK3 1.8l CL cars we got up here.

If you run a mk2/3 DP on a MK1 doesn't it hit the steering rack?
Tyler

Reply #6April 18, 2014, 10:32:51 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Re:
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 10:32:51 am »
Yep.  I basically have the same dimensions to work with as an ABA in a rabbit.  I just did a quickie extension of the dp last time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Mentat Text Two

Reply #7May 01, 2014, 12:30:31 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 12:30:31 pm »
Still kicking around exhaust ideas.
I'm aware it's only worth so much effort on a NA motor, even a 1.9, but what mechanical pride I have left demands
I make some sort of effort.  Begin rambling exhaust thoughts...

I got my manifold off, downpipe still hanging in there while I do other stuff.
The manifolds outlets at inch and 3/4, and look like they will gasket match up to
a hair under 2".  I'm assuming this is the most tiny of the US dual ports.
It has no EGR or O2 fittings in the mani, not sure if the DP did but I don't think so.

If I run this mani I want to do one of two or three things.
The stock downpipe blows, and when I put in some extensions to make it clear
with the tall block, I didn't have a sway bar, I'm pretty sure it's going to hit.
Also, that cast iron turn toward the rear is tiny and I want it gone.
It looks like between the offset and the bend back and then clearing the
swaybar, it's going to be a *** to fab a new one.  I considered merging the two
downs from the mani into a 2.5" on the vertical to simplify routing, but it's still going
to be funky.  I envision heating and flattening the tube and some other unpleasant bending.
And somewhere in there has to be a flex piece, and some bracing to the block/trans.
I considered two small "primary" stainless mesh flex sections in the vertical downs then doing the
bend rearwards a solid piece, it'd give some wiggle there. 

Several alternatives.

I put the A2 offset outlet mani and the DP from TT.
And have almost $500 in a NA exhaust before it ever hits the middle of the truck.
Not loving that idea but I've done less economically sound things to make stuff be
how I wanted it.

Related: The AEG tubular manifold is nice looking, has the offset outlet that I'm not sure how easy/harder
would make DP fab, fitting it with engine in place looks annoying but doable.  It works with the TT
ABA DP or so I've read.

I've looked at cheap headers, if they were not stainless which I'm not setup to weld, I'd
consider hacking one up and modifying it to hold up to a diesel, they seem to fit ABA gassers
pretty often.  It's a shame there isn't a "shorty" style header for this chassis with the flange
horizontal, it'd be pretty easy to alter the height to fit the short or tall deck motors.  I haven't seen one
though, and I wouldn't spend much on a header I had to modify a lot and very well might still
crack anyway. 

I saw this on ebay last night, they seem to have several, but I dunno where I'd find a DP flange
to make one.  If I could find the flange, this might be the easiest/best to fab being it has it's own flex with the
ball socket, and it could be a single largeish pipe rather than two.  No clue where to even start looking for the proper
DP flange though.  Thoughts?  Surely it's larger than the one's we had here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230664514544?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

edit, same as this?  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-CABRIOLET-1-5-1-6-1-8-CARB-1-8-GTI-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-VAG-055253033K-/251496357749?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a8e59df75#shpCntId

That's about where I am.
If I gave up the sway bar it'd probly simplify things yet again.
It's possible but kind of a bummer, I have the lower K bar and an upper bar
to go in too.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 12:54:29 pm by wolf_walker »
Mentat Text Two

Reply #8May 01, 2014, 03:04:57 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 03:04:57 pm »

if you're referring to what i said, yeah it would, but i was talking about techtonics, who makes a downpipe for mk1 cars that are running mk2/mk3 manifolds.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #9May 01, 2014, 03:36:41 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 03:36:41 pm »

if you're referring to what i said, yeah it would, but i was talking about techtonics, who makes a downpipe for mk1 cars that are running mk2/mk3 manifolds.

Nice looking piece too, but pretty spendy for a NA diesel.  I'm surprised nobody makes a less-shiny and cheaper one yet as
common as the ABA swap is.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #10May 05, 2014, 10:05:14 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 10:05:14 am »
Surely it's larger than the one's we had here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230664514544?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Do you really think it would be $100 larger than the one we got here? I would get someone to measure it first or do some research on the PN to see if it's even different than the one we got.
Tyler

Reply #11May 05, 2014, 12:40:16 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 12:40:16 pm »
Surely it's larger than the one's we had here.

Do you really think it would be $100 larger than the one we got here? I would get someone to measure it first or do some research on the PN to see if it's even different than the one we got.

Unknown, I'd expect it to be large-er, but how much, don't know.
Probably not $100 worth but figured I'd ask.  They said no help on the flange so that pretty much
nixed that idea anyway.

I did some gasket matching on my 4/2 non-egr non-O2 manifold I have and will probobly just use that.
I can't find any good data on non-turbo diesel exhaust flow requirements or such, and I've already got
way more time and effort into a 65hp or so motor than it's worth, so..  :)

Mentat Text Two