Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6td break in  (Read 9335 times)

Reply #45April 22, 2014, 10:23:20 pm

vwroadkill

• Junior

Re: 1.6td break in
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2014, 10:23:20 pm »
OK its not the pump...I will have fuel lines here by Friday... if work doesn't get in the way...
not to disrespect anybody.. but I have thought thru every trouble shooting aspect.. some of the input here is valuable.. and I get what your saying about others...
I will do the vacuum test like you have described tomorrow...THANK YOU... just so happen to have a vacuum pump.
to any of ya'll that have contributed, if your in the Cheyenne WY area next week... I will be there for my annual fire fighting recertification. the Beer is ON me.
the question now is.. what is the life of a fuel line on these trucks... between the low sulfur and the older diesel fuel is there an excepted life.. time change item..
new owner of an 81 caddy diesel yipeeeee..vw gti vr6 and well most of gm's trucks

Reply #46April 23, 2014, 12:49:01 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2014, 12:49:01 am »
Well, the pickups do utilize a short piece of woven-braided fuel line immediately where fuel exits the bottom of the tank and connects to the steel fuel line through the body.

And, I have seen pickup fuel tanks rust internally even when fuel is in them. (long live the Mk. II plastic tanks!).

Perhaps you should perform a séance and determine why this rig is pissed oooooof!
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #47April 23, 2014, 03:23:49 am

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2014, 03:23:49 am »
check that you don't have some kind of leak before pump, there by letting air in,(before pump). before filter and after filter/before pump lines.and filter is sealed.or also new filter.
?new lines and hose clamps?.i use standard clamps, not fuel clamps, you can put a wrench(1/4"i guess)and snug good.

Reply #48April 23, 2014, 10:56:09 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 10:56:09 am »
ok. I got the compression test out of the way... 480- to 505.. average across the board... so
here is my plan...
change to another fuel filter... pull fuel out of a fresh can of diesel... to filter to pump.. and see whats what.
I installed the lines that I received from burn your money.. reset the timing just to be sure set it at 96.
and the engine still would not start till towed...
I spent a about 30 minutes chatting with the guy that built the pump.. these are his Idea's.
if this doesn't work.. he said to pull pump and bring it back to him and he will put it on the bench tester.
having eliminated the compression. hopefully the pump, I will see if I didn't pick up some crap in the tank and clog the filter.
if that is the case. I will rip out the fuel system and clean it out.
thanks for the input... gps where never the issue .. took each out and tested each one... burned the crap out of my hand so they work..lol
seemingly I believe now. its a fuel issue

OK so you did all this and did not do the clear return to tank line till I beat it out of you lol? You said you had no air in the lines, which lines were you looking at? That may provide clues so we can tell you where not to look and where you should look next. The idea behind the clear return to tank line is that no matter where the air is coming from, it will all end up in the return to tank line, and if you have bubbles there, then you start to isolate where the air is coming from. If the line you said have no bubbles was the inlet to IP, then everything before that line is ok so don't waste time looking there. Are there any wetness from fuel anywhere? All fuel connections should be totally dry. Air can get into the IP from the daisy chain return lines if they even have a slight leak by siphon action just from sitting since that is the highest point of the fuel system. I doubt the problem is in your IP since it is newly rebuilt. I wouldn't bother testing the IP with the MityVac untill you have tested everything else in the fuel system. OK this is your first diesel. We should take it easy on you. lol

Reply #49April 26, 2014, 04:38:19 pm

vwroadkill

• Junior

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2014, 04:38:19 pm »
well I changed every 5/16 and 1/2 inch fuel line with diesel rated lines.. did not get the new clear fuel line for the return.. not in stock locally and the ones I ordered have been put on back order.. have a friend that is going to the local shop near his neck of the woods  today to see if they have any.
did learn a lot.. the hoses coming off the tank were brittle and failed when touched.. thus dowsing me in diesel... burns real bad when you get in the eyes...ouch..
got it started but I still have some bubbles in the supply line. its clear.. I installed about a year ago... when I shut it off the bubbles go back to the filter. and you have to spin it over a lot for it to start.
I will be in Cheyenne WY tomorrow. so all work will be done when I return in a week
thanks

Dan

new owner of an 81 caddy diesel yipeeeee..vw gti vr6 and well most of gm's trucks

Reply #50May 08, 2014, 10:25:14 pm

vwroadkill

• Junior

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2014, 10:25:14 pm »
well I have returned from a snow covered Cheyenne WY... note to self... do not live there... arrived in the warm and sunny south..
and again.. the little POS wont start... I even put a lift pump on the car.. it will not start with out towing.. when its cold. ugh
I feel like starting over...

Reply #51May 10, 2014, 07:52:10 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2014, 07:52:10 am »
well I changed every 5/16 and 1/2 inch fuel line with diesel rated lines.. did not get the new clear fuel line for the return.. not in stock locally and the ones I ordered have been put on back order..

There are no 1/2 in fuel lines??? You must enjoy pull starting. Have you tried bleeding the air out to start? Here's how:

1. undo inj #1 nut 1/4 turn
2. Glow then crank for 15 sec spurts till it starts
3. Tighten inj nut

If it starts, you have more air leaks to find and fix. Do the easy stuff first. I.e. don't blame and pull the IP first.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 08:01:45 am by 92EcoDiesel Jetta »

Reply #52May 12, 2014, 11:50:47 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2014, 11:50:47 pm »
Hey Dano.....shoveling snow down there?
ha-ha...better you than me........
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #53May 13, 2014, 10:53:35 pm

vwroadkill

• Junior

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2014, 10:53:35 pm »
Dakota, I returned from Cheyenne last week. I have never de-iced an airplane to train for fire fighting... the air drops produced all kinds of ice ... must have been awesome to see from the ground.
well as for the  pick up.. Time has conspired against me.. I had a goal to be driving the car before Memorial day weekend... well Uncle Sammy has plans for that weekend, so I will turn my truck over to a local diesel mech. to see where I have gone wrong... I have done all I am gonna do..I just want to drive it... sadly I can take any system from a C-130 disassemble and rebuild and re install  but this little truck has me baffled...I just don't have the training and the time.. I leave for the Middle east and such within the next few weeks. so I have to change priorities
 I will post up what has gone on with the truck.
thanks..
Dan

Reply #54May 14, 2014, 02:12:50 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2014, 02:12:50 am »
You probably should  have gone with the C130 motor ;D

Reply #55May 14, 2014, 10:08:35 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2014, 10:08:35 am »
..... I have done all I am gonna do..I just want to drive it... sadly I can take any system from a C-130 disassemble and rebuild and re install  but this little truck has me baffled...I just don't have the training and the time.. I leave for the Middle east and such within the next few weeks. so I have to change priorities
 I will post up what has gone on with the truck.
thanks..
Dan

Awww you not giving in already?  ;D Reading back at your old posts from Feb 2013, it appears that you have been having air problems all along even though you said way back  that you have no air bubbles, but you were not (and still have not) looked in the right place, i.e. the return to tank hose. That is THE place to look for air bubbles. If you see air there, you just have to systematically isolate and fix whatever is leaking using a MityVac or other techniques. It is not difficult, you just have to understand some basic principles and laws of physics.

Air is compressible, fuel is not. If there is air in the IP, the air compresses instead of the fuel and the high pressure pump will not be able to generate enough pressure to pop the injectors and that is why your engine won't start. Pull starting works because the engine can be spun  much faster than the starter motor which primes (removes most of the air) the IP in the process and the engine starts, until air gets into the IP again when it sits  by siphon action.

Unless you know the shop as personal friends you can trust, you may be hit with more than what it actually needs. Shops are there to make money, not save you money, and can cause more problems if they are not  VW IDI diesel savvy.

Reply #56May 14, 2014, 03:43:43 pm

VW_Commuter

• Veteran

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2014, 03:43:43 pm »
Do you still have the water trap under the car?  They are notorious for allowing air in the system since they are on the suction side of the pump, are all pushing 25+ years old, and are made of plastic and sit under the vehicle so they are subject to damage (i.e. cracks).  If it's still in the fuel system I would bypass as a first step to eliminate the possibility of sucking air in through it.  Once that is done you have to just troubleshoot the system.  If you are getting air in the fuel system (as evidenced by bubbles in the 'clear' (probably yellowish by now if it's original) return line.  If you do have air then you have to track it down as others have stated.  A diesel only needs 3 things to run - air, compression, and fuel injected at the right time.  If you think about it if you have air in your fuel system the only place it can come in at is where the fuel system is under a vacuum which is between the tank and the inlet to the injection pump.
Greg

'06 Golf TDI traded in for a '12 Jeep Rubicon (the Phatbox is available)
'91 Jetta TD, a work in progress (I'll do a build thread when I start in earnest)
'65 Notchback, a project not yet started

Reply #57June 15, 2014, 07:13:01 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2014, 07:13:01 pm »
Do you have a hot wire to the fuel shutoff on the injector pump.
M2 Jetta TD.  Northern Missouri

Reply #58June 22, 2014, 08:23:48 am

vwroadkill

• Junior

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2014, 08:23:48 am »
I am HAPPY To report... the truck runs and drives Like a new motor should... after many days of not giving up at the pump shop ... the new guy employee showed his Boss{owner} up tore pump off truck resealed and pointed out to his boss that the pump was 180 out internally... don't know what to say to that... so after three month of back and forth  I HAVE my truck running...sadly I leave in a few days for the MIDDLE EAST.. wish me luck...so this morning I am going to my dads house take him for a ride and finish packing for my journey ahead.
I wish to say thank YOU to all who have offered input... all was welcomed... some made me laugh....
Dan

Reply #59June 22, 2014, 08:58:30 am

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2014, 08:58:30 am »
Congrats on getting your little truck rolling. Be safe in the sandbox.
M2 Jetta TD.  Northern Missouri

Fixmyvw.com