Author Topic: 1.6td break in  (Read 9336 times)

Reply #30April 18, 2014, 05:20:05 pm

vwroadkill

• Junior

Re: 1.6td break in
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 05:20:05 pm »
thanks Tyler.. I don't believe I have a gp issue...I use my fluke meter and what I got and what you are showing the variations can be because of the meter and such
 gizmoman, you maybe on too something.. but I am still leaning towards rings...the gentleman that rebuilt the pump came by today and messed around with the pump, still wont start with out. towing it.
I am still just confused, I will get this puppy running. 
new owner of an 81 caddy diesel yipeeeee..vw gti vr6 and well most of gm's trucks

Reply #31April 18, 2014, 05:32:09 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 05:32:09 pm »
............. the first time I have had it running. it started pretty easy... and then on the second day she decided to not run that was when we towed it with a four wheeler.. started right up.

This is important. What changed all of a sudden? You say the battery and glow plugs are new and operational. Did the starter motor take a dive? Did an air leak in the fuel system develop? Did the timing change? Did the engine lose compression? They all need to be checked.

Reply #32April 18, 2014, 06:16:20 pm

vwroadkill

• Junior

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 06:16:20 pm »
nothing changed on my end that I know of..
compression is the one thing I am concerned about.. new engine
starter spins over great..
timing is set at 94mm...as I see it on the gauge..
fuel filter and system could be suspect.. but I do not have a lopey idle..or air in the lines.
sadly I do not have like 6 hrs to just get in the car and drive..
so it is what it is
new owner of an 81 caddy diesel yipeeeee..vw gti vr6 and well most of gm's trucks

Reply #33April 18, 2014, 06:18:41 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2014, 06:18:41 pm »
Did you say that the crank, cam, and IP are still in good time?

Reply #34April 18, 2014, 06:20:11 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 06:20:11 pm »
Where were you looking when you say no air in the lines? The correct place is a clear line from IP return  to tank. Clear line on the inlet is only half the story.

Reply #35April 18, 2014, 06:26:26 pm

vwroadkill

• Junior

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2014, 06:26:26 pm »
yes Theman.. the timing is correct and all aligned
I don't have a clear line from IP to tank I will change this .. I will chase the line to the tank and check it out thank you eco..

Reply #36April 18, 2014, 08:23:24 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Re:
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2014, 08:23:24 pm »
Compression check, get it out of the way and out of the back of your mind.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #37April 19, 2014, 12:02:28 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2014, 12:02:28 am »
I am betting on air in the IP and not a sudden loss of compression on a brand new engine that was starting/ running well the day before.

Reply #38April 21, 2014, 09:26:32 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2014, 09:26:32 pm »
there's only so much it could be, you say you can get it started by towing; it has a lot of smoke when you do get it to run? what color?white?does it still smoke when it gets some warm?
you say your timing is on,, so that rules that out,,all bolts accounted for?(torque?)and belt tension/and tensioner.
it could also be an air intake restriction, not necessarily likely, but possible, check all air passages and filter.
it could also be compression, you have a brand new motor, right? so compression is building up as you break-it-in.
it could be electrical, glow plugs are an easy out for me; due to the fact he has hard starting problems.
air in fuel lines seem most likely right now; to me. check fuel lines into pump, etc. or perhaps its clogged injector(s)or similar problem. a little dirt in this system can do you bad(fuel system).

Reply #39April 21, 2014, 11:50:32 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2014, 11:50:32 pm »
. . .
before today she started with no problems.. drove it to work.. could not get it to start when I was prepared to go home.. so she is sitting at work. I had to get a ride home
OK, I'll take another stab at it based on the above and the comment about the timing belt possibly being too tight* (EDIT - *or maybe that was a different thread).

Started fine but with timing belt too tight - by the time you got to work the IP bearings took a major hit and now your getting air in the IP.

Keep us posted
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:58:00 pm by Gizmoman »
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #40April 22, 2014, 05:15:59 pm

vwroadkill

• Junior

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 05:15:59 pm »
ok. I got the compression test out of the way... 480- to 505.. average across the board... so
here is my plan...
change to another fuel filter... pull fuel out of a fresh can of diesel... to filter to pump.. and see whats what.
I installed the lines that I received from burn your money.. reset the timing just to be sure set it at 96.
and the engine still would not start till towed...
I spent a about 30 minutes chatting with the guy that built the pump.. these are his Idea's.
if this doesn't work.. he said to pull pump and bring it back to him and he will put it on the bench tester.
having eliminated the compression. hopefully the pump, I will see if I didn't pick up some crap in the tank and clog the filter.
if that is the case. I will rip out the fuel system and clean it out.
thanks for the input... gps where never the issue .. took each out and tested each one... burned the crap out of my hand so they work..lol
seemingly I believe now. its a fuel issue

Reply #41April 22, 2014, 05:52:21 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2014, 05:52:21 pm »
What did the clear return to tank line look like after you got it tow started? Was it a solid stream of fuel or full of bubbles?

Reply #42April 22, 2014, 08:47:05 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2014, 08:47:05 pm »
you haven't addressed any possibility of air at inlet side of fuel system, I think it is; any air in fuel lines up to pump including before filter, to past filter/to pump. clear fuel lines help.(you may have to start at fuel tank lines).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:49:16 pm by air-cooled or diesel »

Reply #43April 22, 2014, 08:47:30 pm

vwroadkill

• Junior

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2014, 08:47:30 pm »
well the pump will be returned to the rebuilder.. steady stream of bubbles after getting it started.. would not start after a twenty minute drive.. vacuum... or lack of would not let it begin to catch..
sucks but I am confident the rebuilder will fix it...
after 4 months of spending money and time.. time I would not ever be able to recover... this just erks me to no end...
so I am putting a lot of faith in the pump being finish right

Reply #44April 22, 2014, 09:23:35 pm

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2014, 09:23:35 pm »
ITS NOT THE PUMP!!!!

If you have a steady stream of bubbles in the clear return line, you have found the problem. If you keep farting around with things that are very unlikely to be the problem you are quite likely to create some new problems.

Get a clear line on the inlet side of the pump. Any other kind of crap on the input side is likely to be the problem. What you are seeing is almost always an air leak.

If you want to be sure, pinch off the inlet and return lines and put a vacuum pump on the injector return line on the OUT banjo fitting. You should be able to pull a vacuum on the pump that should hold for a while. If it does not, remove the banjo fitting from the fuel intake of the IP and seal that with a finger and try again. If it still won't hold vacuum pull the hose off the Return banjo and plug BOTH Inlet and Return with a finger and try to pull a vacuum on the IP. If you can't it IS the IP.

Like I said before, replace whatever is between the IP and the filter with a factory clear line and you should be fine. I bought a nice-ish 2 door diesel Rabbit for $350 that was running 10 minutes after I got it home. All because of a home brew line between IP and filter.

If not you have a leak at the filter, or a clogged filter, or a bunch of algae in the sock or the tank or some such problem.

So....
Stop randomly jumping around and listening to people who have no clue how to troubleshoot. Figure out what the problem is rather than just replacing/changing things. Its not hard; you just have to do things in the correct order and not skip steps because you are "sure" that it is not the problem.