Author Topic: 1.6td break in  (Read 9482 times)

Reply #15April 16, 2014, 12:37:39 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Re: 1.6td break in
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 12:37:39 am »
Timing marks still all set?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:20:03 pm by Dakotakid »
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #16April 16, 2014, 08:55:04 am

vwroadkill

• Junior

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 08:55:04 am »
I towed the car this morning and got it started... I got a ton of white smoke... I am worried that the rings sat too long with out being moved.. I will call the guy that I bought the engine from and discuss with him
new owner of an 81 caddy diesel yipeeeee..vw gti vr6 and well most of gm's trucks

Reply #17April 16, 2014, 11:42:09 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 11:42:09 am »
If it runs well enough to idle, then try altering the timing whilst running...

I don't think that new rings would stick in, if left.

Old and weak and half the radial thickness of new, might though.

Sticking injectors, or timing way out is more likely. 
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #18April 16, 2014, 01:29:57 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 01:29:57 pm »
Timing sounds retarded. Lean top of pump toward engine. Get a dial gauge (indicator) and set pump intelligently.
Hillbilly crap is for just that ^^^.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #19April 16, 2014, 03:59:08 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 03:59:08 pm »
Yea forget Hillbilly; that's for a bunch of inbred unintelligent Americans, or Limeys for that matter, instead go for Cognitive Iterations
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

Reply #20April 16, 2014, 04:19:43 pm

vwroadkill

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 04:19:43 pm »
I will check timing.... two different ideas... we lost libby and 8v... ya'll ease up... ps I am southern ya know.
back to subject... I will this evening take a shot at whats what... got side tracked with that stupid thing called a job
re-time.. and today I will install the td fuel lines that I got..
thanks for the input.. I need it
Dan
new owner of an 81 caddy diesel yipeeeee..vw gti vr6 and well most of gm's trucks

Reply #21April 16, 2014, 10:29:17 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 10:29:17 pm »
brand new.. installed they have sixty miles on them... maybe ten hours. idle time and the like
even checked voltage on them.. I am getting like 11.47. on my meter
one thing is, 11.xx volts are low at glow plugs, you should have north of 12.xx v at gps, if you measure volts at rail its only really telling you at least 1 glow plug is working. if this is the case you need to check into this, as it can be near impossible to start even in warmer temps, even at 90f I glow,,some. this can also cause smoke when engine is cold. as engine warms up smoke should clear up,
if it is gl plugs, it could even be something simple such as engine grounding.

1st get voltage reading at battery, it should be 12.5v apx. and voltage reading should be similar at glow plugs, when cycled on. then go from there, it could be bad plug(s).(?), or low battery charge.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:56:40 pm by air-cooled or diesel »

Reply #22April 17, 2014, 06:26:55 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 06:26:55 am »
brand new.. installed they have sixty miles on them... maybe ten hours. idle time and the like
even checked voltage on them.. I am getting like 11.47. on my meter
one thing is, 11.xx volts are low at glow plugs, you should have north of 12.xx v at gps, if you measure volts at rail its only really telling you at least 1 glow plug is working. if this is the case you need to check into this, as it can be near impossible to start even in warmer temps, even at 90f I glow,,some. this can also cause smoke when engine is cold. as engine warms up smoke should clear up,

1st get voltage reading at battery, it should be 12.5v apx. and voltage reading should be similar at glow plugs, when cycled on. then go from there, it could be bad plug(s).(?), or low battery charge.
You guys have such big batteries ;D...
I thought glow plugs were rated to operate @ 11V
My battery is getting a little tired, and is about 12.6V, unloaded but it still starts easily; but not much in reserve if a problem develops.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

Reply #23April 17, 2014, 06:55:17 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 06:55:17 am »

Near everything stated here is bullocks.

Of course there is voltage drop when energizing the GPs.  ::)

Reply #24April 17, 2014, 03:19:28 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 03:19:28 pm »

Near everything stated here is bullocks.

Of course there is voltage drop when energizing the GPs.  ::)

Agree, all BS.

Reply #25April 17, 2014, 04:25:18 pm

vwroadkill

• Junior

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 04:25:18 pm »
I did straight voltage to the gps...still wont start.. changed the relay no help... I still get 11.xx on the voltage.. battery is good..
new from advance auto..
tonight I check compression...finally have a little more time...
what to do, hmm
called the guy that I bought the engine from, he said he will back his engine, so no worries for now... he also stated If I crack open the engine to change rings without consulting him. its officially my problem. kinda get what he is saying, but dam..

Reply #26April 17, 2014, 05:11:02 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 05:11:02 pm »
Don't waste your time (like pimping the glow plugs, bigger wires or bigger battery) trying to get glow plug voltage higher than 11 v. It's not going to happen. Those glow plugs are 11 V plugs and will pull the battery voltage down to 11 V.

Reply #27April 17, 2014, 09:59:45 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 09:59:45 pm »
. . .
before today she started with no problems.. drove it to work.. could not get it to start when I was prepared to go home.. so she is sitting at work. I had to get a ride home
Based on the above statement, the issue appears to be intermittent.
IP seals, fuel filter or lines leaking air, or GP electrical (possibly the relay malfunctioning).

Just a WAG
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #28April 17, 2014, 10:01:16 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 10:01:16 pm »
not bs at all, if he has a low v reading at glow plugs it can lead to hard cold starting and puke smoke,, for a little,, and run rough at first. funny people take a voltage reading and don't check battery voltage first. he says he got it to start by towing, and it was smoky, glow problems can be like this. although it will stop smoking rather quickly. if you have 12.5v or so at battery that's ok, but low voltage at glow plugs can lead to hard starting.
either its an electrical problem, such as glow plugs, or its a fueling problem.(timing problem included as is possible pump timing went off) as long as cam timing hasn't jumped somehow or slipped you wont damage engine. check all timing bolts and recheck timing. as long as you don't have some other fueling problem, such as a restriction in a line, or such. I just find crank tdc and use dial indicator and get reading, optional to remove valve cover, at first, if your sure cam is correctly timed. is your timing belt tensioner tight?still tight? did you put proper tension on belt. so id pop timing cover 1st and check that end 1st.
don't figure you have air in fuel lines, as he says he checked that.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:02:48 pm by air-cooled or diesel »

Reply #29April 18, 2014, 02:17:10 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 02:17:10 pm »
Measured at the battery:

Starts first time, every time... even at 0oF

Fixmyvw.com