Author Topic: MK2 Diesel gauge cluster Questions  (Read 9813 times)

April 06, 2014, 01:17:46 am

123gt

MK2 Diesel gauge cluster Questions
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:17:46 am »
I have a 1989 US golf mk2 that started life as a Gasser and was converted to diesel by PO. The gasser gauge cluster was still in it when I got it and car also came with a diesel gauge cluster.

The issue I found is the plugs are not the same on the gas and diesel gauges to my understanding thats do to one being ce1 and the other ce2.

I picked up a European diesel gauge cluster with the same plugs as Gasser but also has tach. Is the wiring/pin configuration the same for European and USA cars? One issue is the diesel cluster with tach is in Km not miles. Can a gas speedo be swapped into a diesel gauge cluster.

US gas gauge cluster.

US diesel gauge cluster.

Euro Diesel gauge cluster with tach.

Also looking for info to help wiring diesel gauge into gas car.

Thanks for any help.

Reply #1April 07, 2014, 06:53:13 pm

123gt

Re: MK2 Diesel gauge cluster Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 06:53:13 pm »
No one has  any info on mk2 gas and diesel instrument panels? 

Reply #2April 07, 2014, 07:00:11 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 07:00:11 pm »
There are CE1 and CE2 wiring systems. You cannot mix the 2. If you have all of CE1 then you can mix them or if you have all CE2 then you can mix those.
There is a write up about gas tach rev counter in the FAQ that may help you some.

Reply #3April 07, 2014, 09:41:13 pm

123gt

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:41:13 pm »
Ce1 is 2 plugs and CE2 right? Both factory installed US gas gauge cluster and European diesel cluster have 2 plugs that can bee seen in the pictures I posted. I want to replace gasser cluster with the European diesel cluster.

Gas tach is not my issue. I asked can you use a gas speedometer in a diesel instrument panel because my gas cluster is in miles and Euro diesel cluster that has a tach is in km.

I am also looking for charts,diagrams etc for gas/diesel that tell me what all the wires go to,this would help with wiring in a diesel cluster. Is the wiring/pin configuration the same for European and USA cars?

Reply #4April 07, 2014, 11:32:22 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 11:32:22 pm »
CE1 IIRC is 2 plugs and CE2 is one. I read and perfectly understand what you asked. I recommended you to the FAQ as even though the thread title says "rev counter" it has gone to what cluster stuff works type of thread. If it isn't in that thread then we may not have the info you need. I don't know about your specific issue, so I am recommending you to threads and things that I know work for most. For wiring diagrams you can buy this book, called a Bentley, here: https://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=mfm0al55t2zxliejq3bz1gze&makeid=800026@VW&modelid=1282766@JETTATDI&year=1985&cid=97@RepairManuals&gid=10335@RepairManual-BookVersion

Or at amazon, or wherever you buy books. I do not know what European models will be covered or if you would have to buy a European book as well.

Reply #5April 08, 2014, 07:55:57 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 07:55:57 am »
For all intents and purposes from what I have read yes you can use a gas spedometer in a diesel cluster. Both  Speedometers are Mechanical. The only difference I beleive is the plastic gear on the spedometer cable, as long as the speedometer cables themselves are the same between the european and  US Speedometer

Reply #6April 08, 2014, 04:47:03 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 04:47:03 pm »
The second picture you posted is a mk1 cluster (1984 and earlier), those are different still, it's not for the mk2. It's from like an early-80s Rabbit probably and does not have a tachometer and does not interchange with the later parts.

There are 2 generations of wiring harnesses in the mk2, as mentioned CE1 & CE2 (CE = central electronics) and the plugs and pinouts are the same as long as you stay within the same generation. CE1 = 2 plugs, CE2 = single plug... The U.S. diesel tach cluster for mk2 looks exactly like your bottom pic, but with miles instead of kmh (and the clock is 12 hour instead of 24 hour format). They exist but are rare. Some of the mk2 U.S. diesel cars did not get the tachometer, they have the big clock too, but in the CE1 format.

You can swap the speedometers as long as you say within the same generation, and it looks like that's what you have. This does require some dis-assembly of the instrument cluster, however, but the whole speedometer assembly does come out.

The wiring pinouts on the clusters if I'm reading my Bentley correctly are exactly the same for both CE1 clusters, the glow plug indicator replaces the wire to the oxygen sensor mileage counter box on the firewall... though you may have to connect wires to the correct pinout for the alternator's tach signal drive (w-terminal) and glow plug warning light terminal on the relay because those were installed later and probably aren't connected to anything now...

Reply #7April 12, 2014, 01:07:19 pm

123gt

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 01:07:19 pm »
Thanks bajacalal for the help, you have given me some good info.

Good to know that one of my diesel gauge clusters are from a mk1 Rabbit. This would explain why the engine in the car has a Mechanical head being its most likely from the same rabbit as the mk1 cluster.

Any chance you could send me or post here the info from the Bentley Manual that tells me what each wire or connector pin is to. This would really help with getting the ce1 diesel cluster working.

Also the color of the wires on the gas and diesel cluster are not the same. On the diesel cluster the left side black connector has one more wire then the gas cluster.

Reply #8April 12, 2014, 08:02:15 pm

ktzdsl

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 08:02:15 pm »
Check out this site for cluster info that you seek.
http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/electrical.html
DFW area Texas
1982 1.6L NA diesel pickup

S-PAutomotive.com