S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Caddy Pickup Door Seals  (Read 3843 times)

April 05, 2014, 09:16:33 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

Caddy Pickup Door Seals
« on: April 05, 2014, 09:16:33 pm »
1981 vw diesel pickup.  AAZ, 020 AFS 3:67-1 and .71 OD.  Running 15" tires.

If I could solve the decibel issue at 80 MPH  plus, it would be a perfect modern vehicle.  It is quiet enough to 60MPH.  Starts getting noisy at 60 and by 70, it is loud.  I have been contemplating installing new window seals from the MK1 warehouse.  We can always throw money at our vehicles, but is it worth it.?  Who has done it and is it worth $450?
I'd like to hear the radio on the interstate.

Response:  My door  hinges are adjusted.  And no, it is not chassis or engine noise.  It is definitely door seals.  The window seals at 90 mph scream like an Alfred Hitchcock movie.  The question is, has anyone installed the kit from MK1 warehouse and do they make a difference?  Is this a good kit?

Is it truly a matter of air noise or is it, at least, due in part to an inherent drone out of the chassis?

Have you tried simply adjusting the door pins to help hold the doors more inward against the existing seals? Easy to overlook.

Reply #1April 06, 2014, 12:45:47 am

mystery3

• Veteran

Re: Caddy Pickup Door Seals
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 12:45:47 am »
I believe vintagerubber.com sells the seals as well, not sure of cost. Do you have wing windows? Thought about A pillar fairings or those stupid looking (IMHO) deflector things people put on trucks and hondas?

Reply #2April 06, 2014, 11:07:32 am

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 11:07:32 am »
I did a complete seal after paint, I did add ensolite foam inside the doors thou, no more whistle

GB
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #3April 06, 2014, 12:06:38 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 12:06:38 pm »
Thanks,
   I was hoping someone would post who had replace their window seals.  No I do not have winged windows. 
Googled ensolite foam.  Interesting.
I also need to insulted my firewall.

I have been driving this little truck since 1992.  Repowerd twice, from the original natural 1.6D and regeared the 020 FF to a 020 AfS (3.67-1) with 0.71 fifth and then put on 15" tires.  Engine noise is down, but now you hear every wind whistle. 

I am not ready for paint.  It still has a 10' away paint job, no rust, no dings, so part of my hesitantcy to do the window seals is that I will simply have to do them when I paint it.  I don't want to paint it, because it still has the original enamel paint, not modern clearcoat.  I plan to paint the little truck when I retire, and have time to take it down to bare, pull the engine, and do a lot of touch up in the hidden places.

Retirement is 7 or so years away.  Guess the window seals is a reasonable investment for that long. 

Where did you order the ensolite foam sheet rolls from?

I did a complete seal after paint, I did add ensolite foam inside the doors thou, no more whistle

GB

Reply #4April 07, 2014, 07:13:01 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 07:13:01 pm »
Dang.

THIS ITEM IS CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK.. PLEASE DO NOT ORDER UNTIL THIS NOTE HAS BEEN REMOVED!!!

THIS ITEM IS CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK.. PLEASE DO NOT ORDER UNTIL THIS NOTE HAS BEEN REMOVED!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vw-Rabbit-Pickup-Caddy-Complete-Door-Seal-Kit-2-FXD-/270658052192#ht_4601wt_1124

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vw-Rabbit-Jetta-4-Door-Complete-Door-Seal-Kit-2-FXD-/360315851521#ht_4417wt_1124

Reply #5April 07, 2014, 08:37:40 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:37:40 pm »
Dog Diesel,  You can go to most any sporting goods store and for just a few bucks pick up a cheap camping pad that you can then cut up into pieces that will go into the doors.  I did this with a can of 3M contact cement.  Spray the inside of the door with the window rolled up and be careful of where it goes.  Good light helps here.  Then spray precut and fitted pad piece.  Let it get tacky and sneak it into the place you want.  Push it where it needs it and bingo you have quietness you ears will love.

Works swimmingly.

Reply #6April 07, 2014, 08:57:33 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 08:57:33 pm »
THANKS.  My window seals are horrible.

I am planning to do the job right, and get everything working 100%.   
Future plans for this little pickup, is to drive it for a while longer and total restore for my Granddaughter.  Its bullet proof.  No rust, no dings, original paint kind to the eye at ten feet and modernized and regeared.  Next step is quieting it down so you can hear the radio on the interstate in full rock and roll.

I will take it off the road this summer, and start upgrades.  My other project, a diesel powered 68 Bronco will go on the road and I'll write off the mileage on it.

Wayne     

Reply #7April 08, 2014, 02:02:28 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:02:28 am »
Dang.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vw-Rabbit-Pickup-Caddy-Complete-Door-Seal-Kit-2-FXD-/270658052192#ht_4601wt_1124

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vw-Rabbit-Jetta-4-Door-Complete-Door-Seal-Kit-2-FXD-/360315851521#ht_4417wt_1124

I don't know if all the bits are listed here nor the cost comparison but: http://www.vintagerubber.com/caddypickup.aspx

Reply #8April 08, 2014, 12:23:07 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 12:23:07 pm »
Thanks.
  Waiting response from MK1 warehouse on backorder date.

Wayne

Reply #9April 08, 2014, 01:33:35 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 01:33:35 pm »
I really would spend a half hour taping up leaks and give an ear-test-drive before spending a fortune unless they are falling apart.
I've driven a lot of VW diesels, they are a noisy motor, noisy trans, noisy injection, and road noise ends up in the cabin brilliantly.
The Caddy has it's own special resonance with the small interior as well.  Some people are more sensitive to certain frequency noises
than others, but even at north of 600K my 81 didn't really have any wind noise to speak of compared to the rest of it, the 82@400K
has new door seals but otherwise it's the same bit, but slightly better with firewall insulation added on both sides and a nice interior.
The noise from the injection pump/injectors firing alone is louder than most cars.
My .02usd.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #10April 08, 2014, 05:07:13 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 05:07:13 pm »
Believe it or not, I have been driving this little Caddy Pickup since the early 90s, and I remember what it sounded like then, and I know what it sounds like now.
Fact, my engine resonance is drastically reduced from when it had a 1.6D, FF 020 trans and 3.93:1 gears.  Its not the same powertrain.  and my powertrain is in good to new condition.
As is my Caddy as a whole.  Its a daily driver, and maintained so.

Where does the noise originate?
Maybe I should take my phone and hold it in the center of the cab, then  move it over to the window.  If I do this, noise will start becoming distinct, until I put the sound recorder next to the window, that is rolled up, and it takes on a tornado sound.  But I don't think that is necessary, because I know the problem, and I will be the guy fixing it, just as I have been for decades.

I have never in this post had any doubts it was window seals.  I originated the topic to ask about the quality of the MK1 warehouse products.  I was pleased when a member responded that after installation, it made a difference, and stands behind the product.  I said so. I do appreciate that.

I have never called anyone dim, stupid, or grossly too mechanicly inclined to make a rational determination as to the problem with their MK1.  Nor will I start now.  I'd certainly appreciate it if ego and confidence levels were humbled, on the board.  While I certainly know there are some smart men and women on this board, others do not have to be painted the color of stupid to make the point, that a poster is sharp.  I also do now expect a blow by blow, picture by picture proof that you are right.   Anything posted is appreciated, but I do not expect proof of life, or proof of right.  Comments will be taken in advisement good and bad.

My commute is 1.5 hours, and I get to lock it on cruise control and lean and listen for sounds.  I am running a good muffler, and I must say, the AAZ is quiet compared to a 1.6D.  Mine idles quieter than some TDIs.  

Time is a commodity, I don't have a lot of.  I will take this little truck off the road, and upgrade it, but it will be done with good products.  I probably will  post similar pictures that I posted when I repowered it (none), because I am not in the maintaining the website or upgrading the the document thing.  I'll just do it to the best I can do.

wolf_walker, you did not rile me, I was actually riled off-line by a board member who has the tenacity to paint everyone stupid colors to impress upon others his sharpness.

Trust me, its the window seals.  AGE.  It is also firewall seals.  There to my knowedge is not yet a firewall kit.  Won't be fixing FWSeals with tape or spray foam.  I expect my little Caddy to still be on the road in 30 more years, and so I am making the effort to make sure someone stocks parts.  The MK1 warehouse guys have my admiration.  We should be in the habit of working with good vendors and warning of rougue sellers.  To a degree some good work done there on this board.  I also want to commend the honest and fairplayers of character who post.  I won't be painting others negatively to do it. Apology for the rant.

Wayne

I really would spend a half hour taping up leaks and give an ear-test-drive before spending a fortune unless they are falling apart.
I've driven a lot of VW diesels, they are a noisy motor, noisy trans, noisy injection, and road noise ends up in the cabin brilliantly.
The Caddy has it's own special resonance with the small interior as well.  Some people are more sensitive to certain frequency noises
than others, but even at north of 600K my 81 didn't really have any wind noise to speak of compared to the rest of it, the 82@400K
has new door seals but otherwise it's the same bit, but slightly better with firewall insulation added on both sides and a nice interior.
The noise from the injection pump/injectors firing alone is louder than most cars.
My .02usd.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:10:45 pm by DogDiesel »

Reply #11April 08, 2014, 05:08:44 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 05:08:44 pm »
Dear waynebrv,

We should have all pieces in within about a month.
Thanks, Kitt.

MK1AUTOHAUS.COM is now live, offering an improved shopping experience, reduced prices, and products never available on eBay. Place your next order at MK1AUTOHAUS.COM!

For updates on products, promotions and events visit (and like!) our facebook page at  www.facebook.com/mk1autohaus

Thanks again, Ben

Return Shipping address:
Mk1 Autohaus
51 North 3rd Street
#332Philadelphia PA 19106

Reply #12April 08, 2014, 07:02:55 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 07:02:55 pm »
Sounds like a plan then.  If you could lay hands on a DB meter it might be interesting to hear the before and after.

When I put the AAZ in the 82 in, I dunno 2002 or so maybe, I did both sides of the firewall in reflective thick sound deadening insulation, under carpet too.
The AAZ is quieter, the insulation does help, but it still sounds like the inside of a turbine engine compared to most stuff that isn't on par with it to my ears.
Most of my other cars tend to be Mercedes/Volvo/Saab kinda stuff, so my comparisons might be a little biased.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #13April 19, 2014, 12:45:14 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 12:45:14 pm »
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust