Author Topic: Nural pistons for 1.6 application?  (Read 2873 times)

March 29, 2014, 01:08:39 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Nural pistons for 1.6 application?
« on: March 29, 2014, 01:08:39 am »
I am ignorant on this (and, a whole bunch of other stuff :P):

I see that Rock Auto sells (for about the last 6 months or so) Nural pistons, rings, pin, and retainers for about $50 each (before freight).

Nural pistons are good-sheot.......right? I am thinking they are German and generally come with Goetze rings?

These were not available from Rock back when I did my rebuilds.

Please confirm (if truly knowledgeable) the quality of these. And, thank you for your support...............
(I spent time internet searching and all I see is the 1.9's and TDI's). Here, I am referring to a 1.6 application.

The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #1March 29, 2014, 02:04:21 am

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pretty dumb for a smart guy
Re: Nural pistons for 1.6 application?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 02:04:21 am »
the oe-size pistons i took out of my 1.6D, which had 10/83 date codes on all of the bearings, had Nural markings on all pistons. and vw/audi markings on the rod side.

so i am under the impression that they are ok?

Reply #2March 29, 2014, 06:22:14 pm

rs899

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 06:22:14 pm »
They certainly were German and good  at one time, but like everything else these days it's a crapshoot.  Sometimes even when you have the hardware in your hands you really can't be sure.  I know...I'm not helping any...
'91 Jetta 1.6 NA, '82 Caddy 1.6NA, '81 Cabriolet,  4 Mercedes OM616/617s , 2 Triumphs and a Citroen DS19 in a pear tree.

Reply #3March 29, 2014, 10:48:41 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 10:48:41 pm »
What I found late last night is that Nural is now part of (or have been) Goetze (the very good piston ring company), which are both part of Federal Mogul. It took some digging to come up with some answers.

Rock Auto has rocking prices on these pistons.

Actually, on the 1.6's, there is a larger variety of pistons now than there used to be.

I think I have some Nurals in an fairly fresh engine I recently acquired. I know it sez "Made in Germany" on the tops.
What does a "Nural" stamp look like on an older piston? Or, was it always in the dome?
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #4March 30, 2014, 01:07:55 pm

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pretty dumb for a smart guy
Re: Re: Nural pistons for 1.6 application?
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 01:07:55 pm »
On my 1.6 the nural stamp is a little triangle near the edge that just says "nural" inside it. I would take a picture but they are still at the machine shop for cleaning.

. :Sent by pneumatic tubes

Reply #5April 03, 2014, 10:03:56 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 10:03:56 am »
Well, specific case in point, which company (on a larger bore than stock) stamps (in vertical letters in the form of a square):  "made in" (on one side of the square) and "Germany" (making up the right side of the square)? The stamp is so small that, at first glance, it simply appears to be a square stamp.

Upon closer inspection, it is realized that it is worded. And, no, I do not have a view of the piston domes as the block is still assembled.

Fixmyvw.com