S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Better Alternator Setup...  (Read 3544 times)

March 28, 2014, 10:43:43 am

Rising

• Veteran

Better Alternator Setup...
« on: March 28, 2014, 10:43:43 am »
Hey guys.. So I need to figure out a better way to tension my 90 AMP alternator. I followed a guide somewhere online (which I now am unable to locate!) That showed building two small brackets and hooking up a turn buckle to tension from the top. Seemed genius at the time.. Well still does I guess.. But I think it was for a gasser because my diesel has now broken the 10.9 grade hardware twice (over two year or so) on the top bracket and now I have two 10.9 threaded shafts stuck in my car (siezed in this time for some reason.. Vice grips to no avail..)

Anyway. I don't know if anyone is familiar with this style set up but is there a better way to mount a 90 amp alt that isn't as prone to diesel vibration :(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #1March 28, 2014, 01:54:22 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Re: Better Alternator Setup...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 01:54:22 pm »
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x338/Dakotakid1/HPIM1124_zpsc90522bf.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x338/Dakotakid1/HPIM1123_zps77edfce2.jpg

These are photos of Lucas'  (theman) set up which I copied on my '86 Golf early this winter.
This is only if you are fine with deletion of A/C compressor.

You simply "manufacture" a no-frills extension about 1  1/4 inch  long and utilize the two open bolt holes (one for the pivot on the original alt.cast iron bracket pivot and the other bolt passage for (was it?) power steering attachment).

I purchased the turn buckle for $1.94 (before tax) at Menards. Have to buy other lock nuts, bolts, washer, etc.
And what Lucas said about this set up is correct: "....this thing never needs to be retightened."
You want to buy a 1008 mm long 1/2 inch or 13 mm wide belt to run. I bought one at O'Reilley's for $6.50 
The length of the belt can differ depending on what you can purchase. I would NOT go over about 1020 mm long though....as you wouold have to increase the arch toward the radiator.

Zip-bang....that is it. You now have MORE info than I had when I did it. No way for you to fail!

He has these photos in his build and this is another reason the search function can do a person wonders.

Edit:  The extension is to allow placement of turn buckle around arc of alt. On the 90 amp alt., I used the "dead hole" (the one which holds a plastic alt. belt cover) on the alt. housing to secure the eyelet of the turn buckle. I placed lock nuts and washers on each end of the turn buckle adj. ends....however, I have never tightened the nuts because once you get this in there it is not easy to work with. Even without tightening the lock nuts, the tension has NOT changed so far (several months).

Lucas' photos are obviously taken when he had the radiator and support out. Once you get this set-up in there, it is very difficult to photograph. The aluminum turn buckle is not really an issue of strength (as such) as it is actually being compressed rather than pulled apart (and THAT was an issue I "contemplated" and wrangled with (in my head) while thinking about performing the swap/modification).

Once you get going on this....a lot of the issues and arguments go away as it becomes so logical!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:17:23 pm by Dakotakid »
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #2March 28, 2014, 02:34:54 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 02:34:54 pm »
Sorry, almost forgot. You NEED the pulley for the alt. located on Ebay.
Here, do a search on Ebay using this as a search topic:

Ford ALTERNATOR PULLEY 2 groove 65-93 Dual V Small /Overdrive in some apps

I am having trouble getting an identifier number for the pulley.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:41:44 pm by Dakotakid »
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #3March 28, 2014, 03:42:42 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re:
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 03:42:42 pm »
Okay problem fixed! Thanks a lot dakotakid. I'm embarrassed I didn't think of this sooner. I already had the 90 amp installed in basically the same way. But for some reason the person I had copied was using the turn buckle from much more complicated top mounts and I thought he listed a reason why doing it from the bottom wouldn't work. But it very much does. I repurposed a few parts and mounted the turn buckle underneath to the bracket that hangs down and bamm. No issue at all. Super simple. Super easy.

Again I should have searched more or at least thought a little longer I was just more so panicked because I was trying to remove these bolts and thought my car was gonna be down and out...

Reply #4March 28, 2014, 05:14:27 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 05:14:27 pm »
Well, using it form the bottom will NOT work until a person uses a little extension to clear the arc of the alt. body. That is the key.

Reply #5March 28, 2014, 09:38:37 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re:
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 09:38:37 pm »
Hmmm that's weird.. I don't have any extension on it. I'll snap a pic tomorrow... Maybe I've done something wrong.. But it works, tensions up, and has plenty of clearance...

Reply #6March 29, 2014, 01:12:21 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 01:12:21 am »
Maybe me wrong. All I mostly remember is doing this when it was about 15 degrees F and I was pretty pi-ssed.

Why work on stuff in the summer when you can suffer..........

S-PAutomotive.com