S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: MTDI Definition????  (Read 6962 times)

Reply #15March 24, 2014, 12:21:00 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: MTDI Definition????
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 12:21:00 pm »
Look on advanced automation website - they have brand new bosch pumps MTDI.  However that is the big, big$$ expensive route to get one.  LR is the better way to go.

The Advanced Automation pump is a good option but it needs a bit of work on the governor to be useful.  It has a 'low smoke' governor that basically does all it can to reduce fueling and then it has a fairly low max RPM.  Perfect for a heavier vehicle with a large low RPM engine but not great for a smaller engine in a light car.  I spoke with them when I was looking for my pump - they sell them with the governor set the way Bosch sets it as that way the Bosch warranty is preserved.  As soon as you open up the pump to change anything the warranty is void.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #16March 25, 2014, 02:11:10 am

iamdieselnutmechanic

• Junior

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 02:11:10 am »
I wish I had of taken my time and went full electrical with my mk1 tdi swap.

I pretty much hate it these days. lol I wouldn't have had near the headache with an electrical setup. It would start and run perfectly everytime all the time..

People who say they hate computerized anything on cars... Are you kidding? There is a reason everything isn't still mechanical ;) lol.
Hey there, how you doin?

Reply #17March 25, 2014, 07:23:57 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 07:23:57 am »
You must have tried building a pump huh?? Cause not seen any issue with mine other then crap usa ulsd killed pump head seal after 3 summers, 30k miles, but it has been flawless for me...

Once i get back home, im going to put on my big boy shorts, and give it a go, need a kubvan for my crazy next plans over next 6mo, prefer to do burnt toast, but if i break the pump, i got a ok to use 337 a 1.6na 5 speed one..im changing locations...

Ill get pics of my custom pump gear i had made up too...

Saw other post, non goofy linkage... The success ive had has goofy linkage, ability to somehow affect start up mixture from unconfirmed rumors... The shop i got mine from that was taken over by new guy shortly after has me making his caddy go this week. And over next few mo ive decided to take job offer ive received... So till i get all set back up, this topic will be my life for few weeks
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:45:22 am by CRSMP5 »

Reply #18March 25, 2014, 12:56:06 pm

dennis

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 12:56:06 pm »
Well I have been checking mileage, and this thing is only getting 33-34 mpg. Its an automatic model, but geez. No smoke that I have noticed, and I checked timing with VW software, and it was in the correct range. The engine didn't have a thermostat, and I thought it was just stuck open. I installed one and it is running at 190 now but still crappy mileage.  I'm thinking of just putting this thing up for sale. My 83 Volvo D24T 245 gets 33 mph, and is a much more comfortable drive.

Dennis
1980 Caddy TD (Always in progress)
1983 Volvo 245 D24 NA Building D24T
1980 Air-cooled Westy
1956 F100 (What to do???))

Reply #19March 25, 2014, 03:50:51 pm

iamdieselnutmechanic

• Junior

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 03:50:51 pm »
You must have tried building a pump huh?? Cause not seen any issue with mine other then crap usa ulsd killed pump head seal after 3 summers, 30k miles, but it has been flawless for me...

I agree, for summer.. not a damn problem AT ALL ;). But as you said in my other thread, you never ran it below 30F.. That is where my issues lie. Winter operation of a Daily vehicle. The other two IDI's start and run no problem, this damn thing you have to sit in it with your foot on the pedal until it warms up for it to hold an acceptable idle. B.S. I tell you.

Yes, I did build my first M-TDI pump. It was more of a success than this thing, at least when idling and winter operation was the case.. lol
Hey there, how you doin?

Reply #20March 25, 2014, 06:34:12 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 06:34:12 pm »

I agree, for summer.. not a damn problem AT ALL ;). But as you said in my other thread, you never ran it below 30F..

That is where my issues lie. Winter operation of a Daily vehicle. The other two IDI's start and run no problem, this damn thing you have to sit in it with your foot on the pedal until it warms up for it to hold an acceptable idle. B.S. I tell you.

Yes, I did build my first M-TDI pump. It was more of a success than this thing, at least when idling and winter operation was the case.. lol

The problem isn't electrical vs. non-electrical (though I prefer mechanical things and live in a warm climate) it's what VW came up with on their TDIs is ridiculous, and all sorts of (usually emissions related) things set the system into limp mode... If there was a way to defeat the thing (and I think there is) so that it doesn't shut down everything when the egr pressure or whatever isn't right, then it would truly be better than a mechanical pump.

Reply #21March 25, 2014, 10:28:49 pm

iamdieselnutmechanic

• Junior

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 10:28:49 pm »

I agree, for summer.. not a damn problem AT ALL ;). But as you said in my other thread, you never ran it below 30F..

That is where my issues lie. Winter operation of a Daily vehicle. The other two IDI's start and run no problem, this damn thing you have to sit in it with your foot on the pedal until it warms up for it to hold an acceptable idle. B.S. I tell you.

The problem isn't electrical vs. non-electrical (though I prefer mechanical things and live in a warm climate) it's what VW came up with on their TDIs is ridiculous, and all sorts of (usually emissions related) things set the system into limp mode... If there was a way to defeat the thing (and I think there is) so that it doesn't shut down everything when the egr pressure or whatever isn't right, then it would truly be better than a mechanical pump.

Any tuner nowadays can disable whatever you would like.
Hey there, how you doin?

Reply #22March 26, 2014, 07:30:44 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 07:30:44 am »
my mtdi starts and runs well below zero.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #23March 30, 2014, 09:23:49 pm

8v-of-fury!

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 09:23:49 pm »
Yeah but think of how many different "M-TDI" pumps there are man. Yours, mine and the next guys' are different lol. To compare them.. would be inaccurate at best.

The very first M-tdi hybrid whatever-you-want-to-call-it that I hand built was the best one I have tried to date. Started and idled the same whether it was -22c or +22c.

Reply #24October 22, 2014, 11:05:14 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 11:05:14 am »
If your mTDI does not run as well as an eTDI in every situation then the pump was not assembled well.  That is the fault of the pump builder, not the mTDI concept.  I have run my mTDIs below 0°F.  They always start INSTANTLY.  You don't even hear the starter.  I also have a stock 2002 ALH Jetta which runs flawlessly but there is not any situation in which the eTDI starts or runs better than either of my two mTDIs.  Power is better on the mTDIs but, as mentioned, the eTDI is stock.  I have a friend who has an eTDI with no codes which cranks for 3-4 seconds every time.  He's changed various parts and made adjustments in vag-com to timing and injection quantity and nothing seems to help much.  My mTDIs at 30°F without glow plugs activated start much better than his eTDI with functional glow plugs.

If your mTDI does not start and run as well as an eTDI in every situation, then there is no reason to assume that an eTDI conversion would do any better.  If someone does a crap job building an mTDI injection pump, odds are they'll do just as crappy of a job on the e-TDI install.   

The only advantages to the eTDI are control of the VNT turbos and data-logging.  The vast advantage to a properly built mTDI pump is that it eliminates a tremendous number of components that can and sometimes do fail which cause either limp mode or a non-running situation.  If you do not have vag-com, do not plan on doing data-logging and are planning on running a wastegated turbo, the only thing you gain from the electronics is increased unreliability and the ability to more easily diagnose only the components that are unnecessary and do not exist on an mTDI.   
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:09:14 am by libbydiesel »