Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: tips for removing 1.6D injection pump sprocket?  (Read 5624 times)

March 10, 2014, 01:00:49 am

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pretty dumb for a smart guy
tips for removing 1.6D injection pump sprocket?
« on: March 10, 2014, 01:00:49 am »
I'm just about ready to yank the engine out of my 84 coupe.

however, the sprocket won't come off of the injection pump. It has to come out because i have a 1.6TD pump to install.

After talking to zukgod1 i tried the method of removing all of the mounting bolts for the pump, putting a pry bar behind the sprocket - pushing the sprocket out against the mounting bracket - and tapping the loosened nut with a hammer.

And i kept prying and tapping for about 40 minutes. It hasn't budged.

it's a rebuilt pump. Whatever rebuilder puts a dab of yellow paint on every screw.

i suspect that it has been over-torqued.

I am a little tempted to try heating the sprocket, but there are obvious risks

I hear that a standard 2-finger puller may break the sprocket.

Any ideas?

Reply #1March 10, 2014, 02:16:56 am

745 turbogreasel

Re: tips for removing 1.6D injection pump sprocket?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 02:16:56 am »
I usually pry from 2 sides  by driving a couple wood chisels or other wide metal taper between sprocket and bracket, then tap  the end of the shaft with a brass  hammer.
Prying form only  one side  a) binds  on the shaft  b) bends the sprocket  pretty easy,so don't do that unless the sprocket is already bent.

I did make something like this out of hardware store bolts and angle iron that worked OK too...but mine uses the (ground to fit) head of the bolt as the puling hook.

Reply #2March 10, 2014, 08:41:38 am

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 08:41:38 am »
The pry bar i was using was kinda short but i was not putting pressure on the outer diameter of the sprocket - but on the inside near the hub.

pressure from two places would end up being on the teeth rather than near the hub.

I could 'customize' some bolts and use a duck's foot i suppose.

Reply #3March 10, 2014, 09:27:37 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:27:37 pm »
Very loosely put the big nut on the pump. Use a prybar between the pulley and pump mount and put some decent pressure on it. If it doesn't pop off, carefully tap the edge of the pulley with a brass hammer. Actually hit it as hard as you can squarely. It will pop off. 
Tyler

Reply #4March 11, 2014, 12:57:03 pm

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 12:57:03 pm »
Yep, I second (or third, or whatever) the notion that what's needed is a decent dose of static pressure, balanced on at least 2 points, combined with a sharp radial impact (brass hammer), or an axial impact applied to the centerline of the puller.

Boing!

Reply #5March 11, 2014, 04:21:28 pm

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 04:21:28 pm »
Alright. I browsed a local freight salvage place for a brass hammer today, but all they had were fancy brand 4lb models that they wanted $66 for.

I have a good brass drift but it is longer than the available space. I guess i could whack it sideways tho.

Reply #6March 11, 2014, 04:58:32 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 04:58:32 pm »
I really would suggest a pulley puller, with the different attachments I think you can make something work, iirc I used the typical 3/2 combination arbor last time with some long bolts and washers and it worked pretty well. It's easy to damage the injection pump if you don't pull the pulley straight off with no lateral force because the shaft is really pretty thin and the bearings that support the shaft, I think it's actually a bushing and not very robust.

Reply #7March 11, 2014, 05:31:26 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 05:31:26 pm »
I usually pry from 2 sides  by driving a couple wood chisels or other wide metal taper between sprocket and bracket, then tap  the end of the shaft with a brass  hammer.
That's what I do.
 learned it from Libby.
 It's not really prying when you tap a wedge down between the bracket and sprocket, you don't pull it to the side, just tap it straight in like a wedge.
 Opposite sides of the sprocket.
Loosen don't remove the nut first and a couple final smacks on the sprocket can rock it off.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #8March 11, 2014, 05:53:32 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 05:53:32 pm »
It's easy to damage the injection pump if you don't pull the pulley straight off with no lateral force because the shaft is really pretty thin and the bearings that support the shaft, I think it's actually a bushing and not very robust.

I would be absolutely amazed if you could do any damage at all the the pump shaft by removing the pulley, short of damaging the threads if you hit it with a hammer. Those shafts are extremely tough. Also, there is a lot of surface area on the brass? plated bushings, you aren't going to damage them. I'm pretty sure you would crack the pump body first.
Tyler

Reply #9March 12, 2014, 09:27:42 pm

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 09:27:42 pm »
I never even thought of using anything besides a puller.

I got the one below at harborfreight and grinded away just enough so each arm would fit through ip sprockets with the opposing big holes.  Took the tip off so the dimple will fit right into the recess with the nut backed off a tad as a guide and a few cranks and pop every time.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-pulley-puller-66868.html#.UyEJOIWwXHs
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #10March 13, 2014, 02:15:53 am

JamesT

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 02:15:53 am »
I would always use a puller. If you damage the sprocket slightly and don't notice, it might cause belt failure down the road. I wouldn't risk it.
93 Golf - AAZ with some fueling
78 Rabbit - 1.5 DIESEL (finally)
[(+)===o===(+)]
 (++\==o==/++)

Reply #11March 13, 2014, 02:54:21 am

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 02:54:21 am »
funny thing is i was advised that a 2-finger puller would probably break the pulley.

I have a duck's foot. I'll give it a try with some modified bolts.

Reply #12March 13, 2014, 10:40:20 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re:
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 10:40:20 pm »
I used a 2 arm puller on mine, no issues. It did leave some marks on the back of the pulley though.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen