Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6 TD reliable performance build  (Read 33311 times)

Reply #60February 14, 2017, 08:12:57 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: 1.6 TD reliable performance build
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2017, 08:12:57 am »
nice to see an update, looks like you'll be driving it soon.

for the transmission seals you definitely want to replace the 2 input shaft seals (one around it and one side of it for the push rod)and the brass pushrod bushing inside the input shaft.  the axle cup seals, shifter seal and clutch arm seals are more optional, but while its out u might as well spend the little bit of money and time on seals, much easier than if you have to change them later in the car
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #61April 26, 2017, 01:25:11 am

mcpook

• Junior

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2017, 01:25:11 am »
Thanks for the trans seal info.  I finally got all those mentioned trans seals replaced.  Thanks to Brian (BrokeVW) for the seals/boots and detailed instructions on how to replace. The pressure plate, clutch and flywheel installed pretty easily.  I roughened up the pressure plate surface with 120 grit sandpaper before bolting up. 

The last pic is to remind me that TDC is actually the yellow dimple and not the machined V since this flywheel is out of a GTI. 
Mated up the trans and engine.  Set timing belt tension to 13 and timing to 0.95.  Tensioned the v belt and installed the valve cover. 

Have the short shifter, linkage and weighted rod at the powdercoater. Think the engine is done though.  Seeing just a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel is really energizing.  Onward to fitting the intercooler, rehabilitating the shift linkage, new brake booster and brake lines throughout and single round front end swap. 

1982 Rabbit Pickup 1.6 TD
1996 Passat B4V TDI

Reply #62April 26, 2017, 02:31:12 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2017, 02:31:12 am »
Looking good!

I totally know what you mean about that "light at the end of the tunnel" feeling...

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #63April 26, 2017, 01:47:43 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2017, 01:47:43 pm »
While that engine and flywheel are accessible you should file a notch and paint it so in the event that paint you have on there gets covered or worn off you still have the proper alignment mark to find five years from now. 

I would even go so far as to paint the first black to hide it.  And the one you want bright red or white.

Just a tweak
Edit:::::
Dang didn't roll down the pictures far enough.  You have it buttoned up.  OH WELL, got a Dremel tool?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:50:22 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #64April 28, 2017, 11:41:11 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2017, 11:41:11 am »
so did the gti flywheel still have a tdc mark, or did you find that yourself?
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #65May 02, 2017, 01:07:02 am

mcpook

• Junior

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2017, 01:07:02 am »
The flywheel does have a mark for TDC, it's just not as prominent as the V notch at 6* BTDC, hence painting the dimple/peen yellow, posting and writing.  Hopefully one of those actions will remind me in the future.  Techtonics has a better picture and description here: http://techtonicstuning.com/timing.html

My flywheel matches picture #2 on the Techtonics page.
1996 Passat B4V TDI

Reply #66May 02, 2017, 11:50:14 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2017, 11:50:14 am »
i have one which looks like the second picture as well, but it is way, it seems like its 180* out.

Reply #67January 26, 2018, 01:27:19 pm

mcpook

• Junior

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2018, 01:27:19 pm »
Getting back into this and hopefully life won't pull me away this time.  Added a block heater while the freeze plugs were accessible.

Shoehorned the intercooler in front of the radiator and slipped on the silicone elbows.  The grill and inserts clear and install cleanly.  Will consider the single round clip complete and ready to swap.

Ordered hood struts from Black Forest and making a running list of other items needed for the intercooler piping and intake.  Next steps is turning the wrench on the truck and removing the engine, front clip, shift linkage and brake system and rebuilding. 
1996 Passat B4V TDI

Reply #68February 02, 2018, 09:31:01 pm

mcpook

• Junior

Pulled Engine
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2018, 09:31:01 pm »
Major progress today.  Got the old engine pulled! 

Upgraded the negative battery cable while I had grounds disconnected.  Think this was pulled from an MK3.  Positive was done some time ago.

Also noticed that the windshield washer bottle had a bunch of cracks and leaks, so rounded up a newer one.

Need to pull the exhaust downpipe, brake system, and shift linkage for upgrades.  I've decided to pull the WVO system as well.  I've run the vehicle for over 10 years on veggie oil with trips all around the west.  But a new engine paired with  losing my veggie oil supplier 2 years ago were the deciding factor. 
1996 Passat B4V TDI

Reply #69February 24, 2018, 08:15:26 pm

mcpook

• Junior

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2018, 08:15:26 pm »
Removed the exhaust downpipe.  Upgraded the steering rack bushings to prothane poly. Scraped and wiped down the oily grime buildup with super clean. 
1996 Passat B4V TDI

Reply #70March 11, 2018, 11:30:24 pm

mcpook

• Junior

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2018, 11:30:24 pm »
Pulled the interior bits, the dirty carpet and worn underpadding in preparation for soundproofing, new pad and carpet.

Will also rewire the gauges so it's not such a rats nest. 

Cutting the sticky glue and pulling out the carpet.

I have lots of scraping of that sticky glue.  Maybe a heat gun will help release it.  Then scrub it down with water and dawn. Prep with alcohol before installing the soundproofing.  I'm torn whether it's worthwhile to try and straighten out the floor.  There are some humps from getting raised on the lift I suspect.  Those will likely return with the next tire purchase or wheel alignment. 
1996 Passat B4V TDI

Reply #71March 11, 2018, 11:44:19 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2018, 11:44:19 pm »
I like the seats, and steering wheel.  But even more I want to know if you did the door panels?  Seems like they are much better than stock.  What's the secret?

I would straight the floor and warn the tire place that there are specific places to put a jack under the car.  If they don't do it right on my car it pops the fender flares and those are not easy to fix.  Fiber glassed on and body filler to smooth into fenders.  Custom install.  They generally get the message.

I would also take apart the shifter while it is accessible and inspect, clean and lube.  So much easier now than when the carpet goes back down. 

Reply #72March 19, 2018, 12:46:44 am

mcpook

• Junior

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2018, 12:46:44 am »
I like the seats, and steering wheel.  But even more I want to know if you did the door panels?  Seems like they are much better than stock.  What's the secret?

I would straight the floor and warn the tire place that there are specific places to put a jack under the car.  If they don't do it right on my car it pops the fender flares and those are not easy to fix.  Fiber glassed on and body filler to smooth into fenders.  Custom install.  They generally get the message.

I would also take apart the shifter while it is accessible and inspect, clean and lube.  So much easier now than when the carpet goes back down. 

Thanks for the shifter rebuild tip.  I'll add that to the list.  I did the panels myself to cleanly fit speakers in the doors.  Used the 5 1/4" speaker pods, and arm rests from a '92 cabriolet.  I think the metal inner handle pulls were out of an old ghia spotted at the junkyard.  The door cards are thin masonite (1/8"??), quilt batting, the grey vinyl and some new plastic fasteners.  I used the existing cards as a template to mark all the holes.  I can't remember what glue I used to secure the vinyl to the backside of the masonite.  The key is to keep the cards thin;  if they get thick, they interfere with the window cranks and make it impossible to reinstall the remote mirror trim.  The other tip is to install the pods and pockets as low and forward as possible to provide window crank clearance. 

Spent some more time cleaning out the old soundproofing/padding. 

Almost ready for new soundproofing and padding. 

Finished the shift linkage rebuild under the truck.  Used the MissingLinkz teflon bushings.  Can't wait to connect the shift rods to the tranny. 

Also started to address the holes a younger me cut for the WVO system.  Correcting sins of the past?  Story of my life it seems... 
You can see where the tank was mounted and a hole cut to pass the WVO and coolant lines.

Routed them through the subframe of the cab. 

The firewall hole was poorly placed under the rain tray drain and was a source of leaks to the cab.  Luckily, I live in the most arid state in the union and floor rot hadn't gotten a foothold yet. 

Ordered some new carpet and padding from Newton.  Next: Prep and weld in patches.  Prime the bare metal.  Straighten floor humps.  Wipe all down with alcohol and install soundproofing.  Swap out the pedal cluster for '88 scirocco pedals to allow upgrade to 22mm master cylinder.  Rebuild the shifter base.  Then put the interior back together and move on to the brake system.   

Looking for front GTI fender flares and an MK1 scirocco shifter if someone has extras they are willing to sell. 
1996 Passat B4V TDI

Reply #73March 19, 2018, 10:34:44 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2018, 10:34:44 pm »
Thin on the door cards is right.  I purchased a Caddy and the previous owner spent considerable coin on getting the seats and door cards done with this nice thick quilted pattern.  Had to admit it looked great.  But the window cranks wouldn't turn there was so much extra padding behind them.  Even when they did there was this trim piece, sort of a rope or bead that would be caught every half a turn.  I finally had to source out some stock cards and clean them up. 

All is well now. 

And your shifter under the car still has the boot around it!  Or is that new?
Don't see many of them as they get torn up easy.  Well on brushy roads they do. 

Reply #74March 31, 2018, 03:49:27 am

mcpook

• Junior

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2018, 03:49:27 am »
And your shifter under the car still has the boot around it!  Or is that new?
Don't see many of them as they get torn up easy.  Well on brushy roads they do. 
Shifter boot is new.  A pine cone or mudflap iceberg may take it out, but it was an available part that may keep some road grime out of the shifter base for a bit.  I was able to locate an MK1 Scirocco shifter shaft.  My existing shifter base lost a few plastic tabs when I disassembled it to clean, lube and swap in the rocco shaft, so I rebuilt it with an '84 GTI base.  The rocco should bring the shift knob a bit closer to the driver so that I'm not reaching to get it into 5th. 

The 16V scirocco pedal cluster arrived, so I cleaned it up a bit and removed the existing cluster.  16V on left.

Finished up with welding in the hole patches. 

Added some bondo to the firewall and bed patches.  I ordered a few cans of slate grey touch up paint for those areas as well as for color matching the GTI air dam.  I'm not the greatest at body work, but after some sanding and glazing, those should blend in nicely. 

Started to clean up the old glue and prep for the new soundproofing.  Got the bunkhead cleaned and the CLD tiles installed. 

Next: Remove the rest of the glue and old soundproofing, Prime the bare metal.  Touch up paint the patches. Straighten the floor humps. Install New soundproofing.  Install new carpet. Install the 16V pedal cluster and brake booster.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 03:51:07 am by mcpook »
1996 Passat B4V TDI