S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: K24 on n/a 1.6. Suggestions?  (Read 2895 times)

February 16, 2014, 12:50:33 pm

kevinstonge

K24 on n/a 1.6. Suggestions?
« on: February 16, 2014, 12:50:33 pm »
Background.
Two years ago I traded my rusty Helios for a 91 Eco. Previous owner swapped out the Eco engine for an early mech lifter MF engine with the k24 (sweet!). I got it not running and was told it needed a pump. I purchased I used TD pump, installed it. Had it timed to 1.00mm and it wouldn't fire. We tried everything to then find out the compression was no where near what it needed to be.  So I decided to purchase a cheap local n/a engine that was running when pulled, and throw all my TD stuff on it while I rebuild my MF long block. Got it all put together, started it up, and it revved to the moon. No black smoke, and shuts off INSTANTLY with the key so I pretty much ruled out a runaway. Tried to start it again a bunch of times with the same result. At this point I'm thinking something is stuck inside the pump, and all I want to do is drive this beast after looking at it for 2 years! So this weekend I'm buying another n/a pump that is In excellent condition for $80. I'm going to throw that in with a new t belt/water pump and hope for the best.
Objective.
My goal for now is to drive this *ucker. Obviously not looking to use the full potential of the k24, in fear of melting pistons, but I do want to use my setup to its best "somewhat reliable" ability. So I'm looking for recommendations on pump mods, or lack of, that will get me by until my MF is ready. I have an Eco radiator, front mount, soon to be installed oil cooler, egt gauge, 2.75" turbo back straight pipe, and N/A injectors. Was thinking about timing the new pump to .96mm. Any help is definitely appreciated. I'm sure I'd be fine with driving it(finally) with stock n/a fueling and minimal boost, but it wouldn't hurt to have a little fun in the mean time while learning more about tuning the 1.6.  Btw I don't have the funds to rebuild my TD pump, and def don't have the funds to give Giles for a mild or super pump(someday:/)
Thanks ahead of time. Again I'll appreciate any insight, suggestions,recommendations, hate, love, whatever.
-Kevin

Reply #1February 16, 2014, 01:16:01 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

Re: K24 on n/a 1.6. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 01:16:01 pm »
Sounds like you are on the right track. I would pop the top on that pump thats running away and see what it looks like.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #2February 16, 2014, 02:25:09 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: K24 on n/a 1.6. Suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 02:25:09 pm »
It is subjective but you can run the n/a pump blow a little smoke until the turbo spools. EGT gauge is your friend. Along with that a manual boost controller and boost gauge will help you play and stay safe as you can monitor what your engine is doing.

With what bbob said I think would be great too. If you are eventually getting it rebuilt, if you open it and are careful there is nothing you will mess up that they cannot fix...within reason. It sounds like something is either gummed up or something as simple as the fuel screw is turned up too much.

Fixmyvw.com