S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: other injector nozzles that will work in a vw tdi  (Read 3674 times)

February 06, 2014, 07:42:03 am

snakemaster

• Veteran

other injector nozzles that will work in a vw tdi
« on: February 06, 2014, 07:42:03 am »
Just gathing info on other injector nozzles that will work in vw tdi engines , am i right in saying .216 is 5 hole , what angle dose it spray at , would
CUMMINS INJECTOR NOZZLES be a upgrade , or landrover 200tdi  ,this could be helpfull for a few pop hear for more power , as ther will be one type that will work and .240 , or a 7 hole .216  , and at the same price as std .90hp nozzles

Glenmorangie  single highland malt

Reply #1February 06, 2014, 07:44:19 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: other injector nozzles that will work in a vw tdi
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 07:44:19 am »
I have no clue but I am interested in hearing what you find out.

Reply #2February 06, 2014, 11:16:41 am

rodpaslow

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 11:16:41 am »
I'll second that - let me know was works..
99' 1.9 1Z Tdi, hybrid pump -1.9 housing & rover internals, 2052 wastegate turbo,.25 hflox nozzles, SDI intake, CTN tranny
96' 1.6 TD Golf, Giles pump, VNT 17, Gas changed to Diesel, Air to Water Int.

Reply #3February 08, 2014, 08:42:23 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 08:42:23 pm »
And I will third it; I have never heard of other manufacturer OEM options that can be swapped in like the old IDI drivers sometimes do.  I cannot say as to what has been done on the amateur side, but you might have luck asking some professional diesel pump and nozzle rebuilders if they've heard anything.  Maybe Giles would know?

Reply #4February 08, 2014, 09:03:47 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 09:03:47 pm »
Just drill the holes a little bigger if you can't afford  race nozzles:D

Reply #5February 09, 2014, 01:17:25 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Re: other injector nozzles that will work in a vw tdi
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 01:17:25 am »
From reading practically every nozzle thread over on TDIclub I can say nobody has anything good to say about 7 hole nozzles on these engines.

Likewise I'd certainly be interested to know if there are any other nozzle options but from what I've learned over the years nozzles are tricky. Every engine has different needs in terms of spray angle and atomization... Hence why manufacturers bother to make different nozzles for every application. I mean the IDI engines have about as low tech a nozzle as you can get yet there is still not really any non-VW application that actually works properly with the prechamber design. And the TDI has 20+ years of engineering on top of that.

As always I'd be tickled pink to find out there us some other option that ACTUALLY works well but I have a feeling it would be just like the CASE / Mercedes nozzles on the IDI engines. Seems like a good idea but doesn't work in practice. Or at least provides negligible gains but lots of smoke and high EGTs.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #6February 09, 2014, 04:36:32 am

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 04:36:32 am »
I mean the IDI engines have about as low tech a nozzle as you can get yet there is still not really any non-VW application that actually works properly with the prechamber design. \

As always I'd be tickled pink to find out there us some other option that ACTUALLY works well but I have a feeling it would be just like the CASE / Mercedes nozzles on the IDI engines. Seems like a good idea but doesn't work in practice. Or at least provides negligible gains but lots of smoke and high EGTs.

What do you mean, "it does not work in practice"? I sold and installed a couple hundred MB nozzles in Rabbits back in the day. They always seemed to get a touch better mileage and have less smoke than the VW nozzles available at the time.

Reply #7February 09, 2014, 01:20:49 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 01:20:49 pm »
The spray pattern of the Merc nozzles is intended for a Mercedes prechamber. The Mercedes prechamber is a radically different design than the VW ones.

I don't have personal experience but practically nobody on here is using Mercedes nozzles on their VW IDIs these days. Most folks seemed to report excessive smoke. There was a fair bit of commentary about them several years ago on here.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #8February 09, 2014, 01:45:11 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 01:45:11 pm »
This is what others have said. There is a part # for the nozzles that gives away the spray pattern. I guess from what some have said the spray pattern for the GM 6.5 is a ton closer to the VW than the Merc. Several on here have stated much more smoke from merc nozzles. I have only ever ran VW.

Reply #9February 11, 2014, 04:06:54 pm

snakemaster

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 04:06:54 pm »
i put pug 1.9 xud injectors in my 1.6 td golf and it was a lot beter , less smoke and more power , as for the tdi nozzles thay all fire in to a dish in to the piston , as long as the dish is the same and the distance away is the same  and its from a bigger cc , like a LR 2.5tdi , and some of us run LR pumps so the head will be up to the job , dont mater if its a 5 or 7 hole , but the right angle ,thay should work , this is my thinking  , i have LR 200 tdi injectors on the shelf will give them a try in a old passat tdi i have kicking about and report back when i have time .
Glenmorangie  single highland malt

Reply #10February 11, 2014, 04:22:57 pm

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 04:22:57 pm »
This is what others have said. There is a part # for the nozzles that gives away the spray pattern. I guess from what some have said the spray pattern for the GM 6.5 is a ton closer to the VW than the Merc. Several on here have stated much more smoke from merc nozzles. I have only ever ran VW.

Well, having sold and pop tested a bunch of both nozzles back in the day I can tell you that the spray pattern was indistinguishable to the naked eye, EXCEPT the MB nozzles put out a more finely atomized spray.

MB makes a raft of diesels, so these guys may have been using ones for some other engine. As I remember these were for 240D/300D motors. Genuine Bosch. I seem to remember that they had a tiny extra hole in the pintle up inside the nozzle, so they were easy to tell apart.

Fixmyvw.com