Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

Diesel Pulse Adapter Info Thread

(1/32) > >>

vanbcguy:
So I know a few folks on here now have purchased and are using diesel pulse adapters for setting timing. Given that anyone doing anything M-TDI basically has to either make up their timing figures otherwise I thought it would be good to get some info together around what people are using, etc.  The idea being that maybe this thread can become a sticky later on.

So, what I'm looking for:

- what kind of adapter you have
- any accessories needed to make it work with the VW?
- what kind of timing light are you using?
- any other info you can share

Thanks!

libbydiesel:
I have a snap-on pulse adapter just like this (borrowed pic):

With it, I use an Actron timing light that has the tach and advance features.  Actron is a cheap brand, IMO, but the timing light has worked flawlessly for quite a few years.  If purchasing a timing light I would strongly recommend getting one with those two features.  The advance function meas you don't have to mess with degree wheels or counting flywheel teeth and making punch marks...  The tach feature means you can adjust the idle accurately and calibrate your tach.

I got the pulse adapter off eBay as NOS for $80 shipped.  The timing light was $100.  No other accessories were necessary.  I had the dial indicator already and was a bit reluctant to spend the money 'whimsically'.  Looking back, it was an excellent purchase that proved more beneficial than I ever expected. 

rbremiller:
I'm all over this. You'd think there would be some cheap, adaptable tech out there to make a simple module. The available new units I've found are $190.00 and up. Ferret and Gunson are two manufacturers.

vanbcguy:
Hey Andrew, you do 12° at idle, right?

libbydiesel:
Yes, I use 12° BTDC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version