Author Topic: +1 for mechanical TDI!!  (Read 4206 times)

January 04, 2014, 06:11:59 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

+1 for mechanical TDI!!
« on: January 04, 2014, 06:11:59 pm »

92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #1January 04, 2014, 09:29:10 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: +1 for mechanical TDI!!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 09:29:10 pm »
You feel bad for him because he got a B4 TDI for $600?  :o  ;D
Tyler

Reply #2January 05, 2014, 10:23:54 pm

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pretty dumb for a smart guy
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:23:54 pm »
damn, i want a $600 passat tdi

I LIKE the electronics in my Mk5 GTI. Of course, I also have a bentley manual, and a ross-tech hex+can cable.

And the onboard electronics, even in highline systems, were kinda sub-par in the 90's.

There is a beauty to fully mechanical systems, but i wonder how much of the anti-electronic bias comes from fear of the unknown?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:27:59 pm by TimpanogosSlim »

Reply #3January 06, 2014, 06:22:06 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 06:22:06 am »
There is a beauty to fully mechanical systems, but i wonder how much of the anti-electronic bias comes from fear of the unknown?

It's the other way around. I have no bias against electronics most everyone on TDI club encourages people not to use mTDi because it worse. No guys you have it the other way around. If Im going to spend a massive amount of time making a reliable car this is the kind of bull5hit I don't want happening to me when Im in the grand tetons or something with nothing but my camping gear. There is nothing on a mechanical system that would fail that would make having a laptop easier to fix. That said I havent had any issues with my mk4 alh. For the record I wouldn't buy an already factory tdi car and convert it to mechanical inless the whole system on it was busted ie injection pump broken ecu scrambled and 1 or more sensor is bad.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #4January 06, 2014, 07:31:55 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 07:31:55 pm »
Like libby said ... I will paraphrase... It is nice to have a vag com to tell you what electrical engine monitor isn't working, but it is nicer to not have the electrical part to fail in the first place to need a vag com to tell you it isn't working.

With you on the MKIV, I wouldn't convert one for no reason but if I needed a 200.00 sensor M TDI it goes.

Reply #5January 06, 2014, 09:06:16 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 09:06:16 pm »
only issue is its an autotrajic. :o
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #6January 06, 2014, 10:26:49 pm

rbremiller

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:26:49 pm »

It's the other way around. I have no bias against electronics most everyone on TDI club encourages people not to use mTDi because it worse. No guys you have it the other way around. If Im going to spend a massive amount of time making a reliable car this is the kind of bull5hit I don't want happening to me when Im in the grand tetons or something with nothing but my camping gear. There is nothing on a mechanical system that would fail that would make having a laptop easier to fix. That said I havent had any issues with my mk4 alh. For the record I wouldn't buy an already factory tdi car and convert it to mechanical inless the whole system on it was busted ie injection pump broken ecu scrambled and 1 or more sensor is bad.

Ditto. If(when) my Jetta's ALH pump dies; there's no question that a Rover pump is going to replace it and my VAGcom cable will be up for sale. Electrical controls become unreliable and insecure over time.
'91 180k Audi 80Q mTDI DD AHU, K14, LT pump,
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?t=45645
'99 Jetta TDI 204k '02 engine, RC3+E, 11mm IP, .216, Racepipe, 2.5''SS exhaust, PD Lift pump,  Boostvalve, PanzerPlate, boost gauge, MAF delete.
'89 Audi 80Q ...waiting
'85 BMW R80

Reply #7January 09, 2014, 02:19:11 pm

whoabeats

• User+

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 02:19:11 pm »
Even when everything is running well the electronics can be kind of annoying. My least favorite bit is the fact that if you press the brake pedal too far it will cut all power from the accelerator being pressed. So not that my tdi is a racecar or anything, but that means no boosted launches or left foot braking. Its an economy car, but thats still a bit lame.
I have a diesel hot-rod addiction
97 2500 cummins 4x4 5 speed 460hp
98 AHU m-tdi being built for a car I dont own
00 ALH TDI handles like a race car, but has no balls

Reply #8January 09, 2014, 04:11:24 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 04:11:24 pm »
so is buying new transmissions.

Reply #9January 10, 2014, 01:09:25 am

81 vw pu

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 01:09:25 am »
Even when everything is running well the electronics can be kind of annoying. My least favorite bit is the fact that if you press the brake pedal too far it will cut all power from the accelerator being pressed. So not that my tdi is a racecar or anything, but that means no boosted launches or left foot braking. Its an economy car, but thats still a bit lame.
My 03 tdi golf if you lift off the throttle and apply a second time while still holding brake it doesn't cut the power. Found this out on vw race night at the local track.

Reply #10January 10, 2014, 02:25:50 pm

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 02:25:50 pm »
I got an injury that has delayed my tdi project for 2 chasis.  Never done it before but this along with reading around a bit and trying to help my brother recently with his out of warranty 2011 ford festiva pretty much seals the deal for me :)

So you will automatically get worse gas mileage vs. the computer run systems for the tdi?

My poor brother started throwing some tune up parts at his car.  Regular reader only stores a misfire code once in a while.

The car idles all over the place no matter hot or cold.  And it has died a few times at higher speeds but loves to die at stoplights, etc. And sometimes it doesn't restart after that happens, like nothing.

The ford dealer wanted $100+ just to hook it up to their computers?

Problem is they have been having it rough and have not set aside the $$$ for potential repairs so are driving the hell out of the car still.

That is no life to live for me.  I got aaa towing and my commute is within that mileage of my plan so I'm always ready if something bad happens.  Big deal, I drive another car or take a day to swap out a 1.6 engine.  I love this part of it compared to the crazy ass bills these shops  get.

My uncles vw gti 2007 was out of warranty by the time the first timing belt job came due and with that and fixing his air conditioner that stopped working, the bill was $2800!!!
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #11January 12, 2014, 01:06:23 am

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pretty dumb for a smart guy
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 01:06:23 am »
My 03 tdi golf if you lift off the throttle and apply a second time while still holding brake it doesn't cut the power. Found this out on vw race night at the local track.

my 07 gti dsg actually has launch control.

iirc everything with the dsg does. well, everything with the dsg that can be shifted into "sport".

come to a complete stop, assure your seat belt is on, shift into 'S', turn off traction control, floor it. it waits for boost before popping the clutch.

and *poof* goes about 1000 miles worth of tread from the front wheels.

as for the poor ford, random misfire issues can be so many different things. that's more of an argument for diesel vs. gasser than anything else. Even with proper diagnostic tools you get a list of things to check, and some of the things on that list are time consuming.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 01:09:01 am by TimpanogosSlim »

Reply #12February 11, 2014, 10:38:10 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 10:38:10 pm »
Prime example of why i ditched the ecu.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=407495
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Fixmyvw.com