S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Mk1 instrument panel light bulbs  (Read 10848 times)

Reply #15December 26, 2013, 04:48:21 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: Mk1 instrument panel light bulbs
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 04:48:21 pm »
Driving at night without any dash lights can make driving impossible after just a few hours. The variety of focal length provides the eye muscles relief from an otherwise constant strain from looking just out the glass.

Reply #16December 26, 2013, 04:59:15 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 04:59:15 pm »
Oh yeah, I agree you have to look at both to keep your eyes from zoning out.  I do the look on the road, then the rear view.  More road, then instruments.  with nine gauges I can only do a few at a time.  More road, then a sideview mirror or another gauge look.  Just keep them moving all the time with most on the roads in front. 

I will even look out the side of the car by turning my head but I may be running the risk of getting a ticket for distracted driving doing that.  I recently saw where an individual was ticketed for that.  70 bucks.  They say it compares to texting or something like that.

Reply #17January 03, 2014, 06:31:31 am

1outof5

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 06:31:31 am »
original ones are like 1.2w, some same era vw (like the vans) have the same bulb base but with 2w. just gives a little more light and is fine for me. bought them off eba.y dot uk

Reply #18January 24, 2014, 02:27:14 am

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 02:27:14 am »
I had a truck apart recently and for fun used all leds in the dash.

I got prewired 12 volt leds off ebay for cheap in all sorts of colors.

Used milk containers, and other colored plastics like for folders as diffusers and tested everything in the dark. 

I had supplies and drilled through existing bulb holders and used hot glue to hold things in place.

I found through allot of experiments that most of the time bright white leds sanded against stock vw color panels gave me the best light.  Even moreso than sometimes multiple leds of that same color which was really interesting to me ?

I was happy with everything, love the clarity at night.  I think one switch in the dash did not agree at some low power point with lighting up, maybe it was flashers i dont remember.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  I got 100 leds for less than $20 to door and had the other supplies laying around.  So some time involved but with number of leds it was way cheaper than some of the online stores i was looking at as far as the drop in types.  i also used my custom setup on heater controls, cluster bar, etc.
1985 turbo diesel jetta

S-PAutomotive.com