Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Mk1 instrument panel light bulbs  (Read 10992 times)

December 08, 2013, 03:44:44 pm

homerj1

• Veteran

Mk1 instrument panel light bulbs
« on: December 08, 2013, 03:44:44 pm »
Hello my mk1 dash lights are dim.

I was reading  on the Internets about  higher wattage bulbs for my mk1 cluster (not led's) from a Nissan Pathfinder or Saturn cluster that would just screw in.

But I lost  the link.

help & thanks

Aivars

Reply #1December 08, 2013, 04:17:35 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Mk1 instrument panel light bulbs
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 04:17:35 pm »
I had this happen last weekend.  Seemed that I was having to turn the light switch up full to get the speedometer to show.  Then one afternoon I pulled the carpet out to knock off all the stones and mud I had dragged in over the fall.  Hmm what is this?  One of the bulbs in it's black twisty socket down by the accelerator.   

So I pulled the dash cluster out and found one missing sure enough but then just for grins I checked to verify all others were working.  Nope, only one of the three.  New bulbs all around since the current ones were rather blackend from use I guess.  Now I can see that I am exceeding the speed limit on my route to work so I have no real good excuse for the officer that stops me.

Not sure LEDs are needed.  I think the standard bulb is a 94 and it plugs into the socket not screw in type.

Reply #2December 09, 2013, 04:40:07 am

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 04:40:07 am »
Sorry our Can. beer sometimes turns my brain to mush...  :)  hence my lack of clarity

Found the info  http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/16451-Dash-lights-not-working-82-deisel-rabbit-help

Well yes, and no. I hate ambiguousity, but it is true.

It has been about 8 years since I have seen the back side of my Diesels dash, and let alone that long since I had to take the fascia off. ( I sold it)

The Light bulbs for the dash are in a socketed holder, the bulbs are soldered in to that holder, so you have to replace the holder as well as the bulb.

The Bulb/holders are available at the dealer and at some online venues as in Germanautoparts, parts4vws.... BUT.....

I have found that the Bulb Socket out of a Nissan Pathfinder, Isuzu, Saturn are the same type but the sockets that those autos use have bulbs that you can swap in. Now if you go to the Bulb Selector of your favorite auto parts store, get the replacement bulbs for the "Warning Lights as in Check engine, Oil pressure....) they are higher wattage, 5 watt vs 3 watt. Then you can place the socketed bulb in as a replacement.

I use a 9v dc battery on the circuit run to make sure that I have continuity, and the bulbs illuminate before I place the dash back together.

This is what I have done for the cabbies that I own, and just yesterday, had to change a bulb out..

You can (depending on your skill level) replace the bulbs and sockets with Super Bright LEDS but that is up to you.

Reply #3December 09, 2013, 01:00:47 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 01:00:47 pm »
i'd just swap to leds if anything
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #4December 09, 2013, 04:28:06 pm

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 04:28:06 pm »
i'd just swap to leds if anything

I was thinking of that, but I had read a few mixed reviews. Have you installed leds? Would be just looking for an okay brand to install.  I'm assuming they come with the socket or do I need to refresh my soldering skills? (prior to doing this

Reply #5December 09, 2013, 10:01:08 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 10:01:08 pm »
Didn't CRSMP5 have a thread on here that described the whole procedure?  I think it even had pictures with it.

Reply #6December 11, 2013, 08:33:52 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1990 VW Golf TD. Engine Code CY
    • Blackdog Junkyard
Re: Re: Mk1 instrument panel light bulbs
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 08:33:52 pm »
Search dash lights on vortex in the mk1 and mk2 forums. They sell LED's that plug right in and look exactly like the oem bulbs except they have led's. I forget the website though.

Sent From Outer Space

Reply #7December 16, 2013, 08:39:56 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 08:39:56 am »
right, you can buy leds with the correct socket already, the only thing you have to keep in mind with them, is that polarity matters, they will only work when installed one way.  theyre pretty cheap too, and basically last forever, plus they are brighter and better over all.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #8December 16, 2013, 08:52:38 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 08:52:38 am »
I hacked some strip LEDs into a MK2 cluster...

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=33446.0

Reply #9December 23, 2013, 01:30:38 am

Rising

• Veteran

Re:
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 01:30:38 am »
I bought and installed the replacement bulb LEDs in my 84 rabbit dash. Best thing I ever did. So much brighter and cleaner, less draw on ancient sketchy wiring. Super easy. Do it today. I got mine from amazon. 5 cell looking ones I think. White. The green lenses still make perfect green out of it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #10December 24, 2013, 02:03:10 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 02:03:10 am »
How's the dimming action with the LED's?

You guys should really try turning the panel lights down, those way bright instruments are doing your night vision no good weather you know it or not.
I have pretty average, at best, night vision and wear glasses.  I've owned about every iconic 80's euro vehicle made and
every single one people want brighter dash lights, bypass the dimmer resistor, use brighter bulbs, put in LED's, etc, etc, etc.
Every one of them I use about half to 3/4 brightness on stock gear after wiping the crud off the bulbs.  Quarter turn brighter in
city traffic.  Bright dash lights were not out of the realm of 70's or 80's engineering, they aren't crazy bright for a reason.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #11December 24, 2013, 07:38:15 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 07:38:15 am »
I agree completely, Wolf. The problem is often twilight that keeps my irises from opening wider... then I turn up the level on the dash. In night time, I turn the level back down.

In our recent heavy snowstorm, I noticed many many drivers without their headlights/taillights on. I conclude this is due to electronic dash-displays... us folks with older cars know lights are off, because we can't see the gauges.

Dimming is quite good with my hack, BTW.

Reply #12December 24, 2013, 12:41:36 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 12:41:36 pm »

Another light related bit I like to pass on speaking of snow, I discovered that yellow/orange driving lights are vastly superior to white headlights for snow.
It brings back definition and depth perception.  Some of those tinted "blu-blocker" glasses might have the same effect, never tried.
And if you remember blu-blockers you're old. :)

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #13December 25, 2013, 11:52:30 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 11:52:30 pm »
I'm in W_W court on the bright instrument lights.  I run them real low for most of my driving.  The reaction on my eyes is similar to when the car coming at me has brighter than normal lights or alignment problems.  I have to look to the sideline or up and way down the direction I am going. 

If I run the instrument lights up high I get that same slow reaction of my eyes to the dark out ahead of the car.  Maybe because I don't eat enough carrots or perhaps 6 decades of looking at everything under the sun, or moon. 

Reply #14December 26, 2013, 01:16:19 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 01:16:19 pm »
I close one eye when bright lights come toward me at night.  Some people have thicker eyelids than others so the effectiveness varies, but it helps some.

I had a Saab awhile ago that had a button to kill all the cluster lights except the speedo.
I think the later ones would even kill part of the speedo lights other than about where the needle
was at.  Saab was always good for stuff like that.
Mentat Text Two

S-PAutomotive.com