Author Topic: Broke part off of intermediate shaft...  (Read 2900 times)

December 02, 2013, 04:39:14 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

Broke part off of intermediate shaft...
« on: December 02, 2013, 04:39:14 pm »
So in an effort to  see if I could successfully remove and replace my intermediate shaft bearings I pulled out my spare seized engine, knocked out the bearing with a punch and used the intermediate shaft with a rubber mallet to drive the new bearing back into the block. The bearing was almost all the way in and with a nice smack of the rubber mallet the bearing seated and a perfect circular ring broke off of the shaft. Im happy this was the spare engine but I am curious if the shaft could still  be used? Ill get some pictures up in a few days.

Reply #1December 03, 2013, 01:30:12 am

CRSMP5

Re: Broke part off of intermediate shaft...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 01:30:12 am »
nope it junk... i use a tool like a seal installer.. big round flat plastic or aluminum with a piece to hit and hold in the middle..

wood is no good.. and soft plastic no good.. but a nice firm plastic like derlin or aluminum...

make sure to pay attenton to the oil feed holes.. gotta line them up right.. th einner one with its silly sruirter cut out is biggest pain..

Reply #2December 03, 2013, 04:23:51 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: Broke part off of intermediate shaft...
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 04:23:51 am »
 You could swap the gear onto a gasser intemediate shaft but the rest of it is junk.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Fixmyvw.com