Author Topic: Intermittent missing  (Read 7509 times)

Reply #45February 01, 2014, 11:09:21 am

brownni

• User+

Re: Intermittent missing
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2014, 11:09:21 am »
I have a new head. It is at the machine shop now getting checked and cleaned up.

Turns out the engine has been rebuilt at least once before. The pistons are all 76.98mm diameter which, according to the bently, is the repair stage 2 oversize. It really put a damper in my plans because I had ordered parts based on the assumption that everything was stock sized. Now I am having to wait on new rings to get here and I need to make sure that I don't have to order oversized connecting rod bearings as well.

I guess I should just be thankful that disassembly has gone well.

I am off to do some honing. Mark, I was tempted to use your waterbottle hone - but I caved and got a ball hone instead.

Reply #46February 01, 2014, 11:43:30 am

brownni

• User+

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2014, 11:43:30 am »
also - does anyone know the thread pitch on the 11mm head bolts? I want to get a tap to clean out the bolt holes.

Reply #47February 01, 2014, 12:16:55 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2014, 12:16:55 pm »
My gauge tells me 1.5mm.

Reply #48February 01, 2014, 03:31:12 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2014, 03:31:12 pm »
I have a new head. It is at the machine shop now getting checked and cleaned up.

Turns out the engine has been rebuilt at least once before. The pistons are all 76.98mm diameter which, according to the bently, is the repair stage 2 oversize. It really put a damper in my plans because I had ordered parts based on the assumption that everything was stock sized. Now I am having to wait on new rings to get here and I need to make sure that I don't have to order oversized connecting rod bearings as well.

I guess I should just be thankful that disassembly has gone well.

I am off to do some honing. Mark, I was tempted to use your waterbottle hone - but I caved and got a ball hone instead.
I've found some really interesting info on honing/deglazing that actually kind of cooberates some of my honing premises. It also goes on about a technique called Superfinishing. Apparently invented by some two-bit little company over seas... Wait a minute... rereading I see they were called Chrysler of America.... Never had anything of theirs, unless my 1970 Vauxhall-Bedford CF is related ;D
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #49February 02, 2014, 08:25:09 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2014, 08:25:09 pm »
easy as

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=175661
but unless you have a rare or special head, why?
745  thanks for the interesting link... Actually 1.6 heads are becoming rare over here as we become flooded with TDI. More AAZ's than 1.6's on Ebay now. Mind you Brownni's 11mm head is a rare beast, especially to have survived 2 rebores!

I've found something too. MIG Al seems quite possible on sheet if heatsink used.TIG clearly preferred given a choice. Not much penetration required on that one head crack, and filling head with water would probably protect it.
Strangely I suddenly thought of the possabliity of MIG brazing. I'd never heard of it, but looking in the margin low and behold he'd done it!

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/learning-mig.htm
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #50February 02, 2014, 08:46:43 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2014, 08:46:43 pm »
Survived being a relative term, and the initial incident may  have scored the bore bad enough to require  2nd OS right off the bat.