S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 81 Caddy Speedometer  (Read 3133 times)

November 17, 2013, 09:34:36 am

DogDiesel

• Junior

81 Caddy Speedometer
« on: November 17, 2013, 09:34:36 am »
Who had put Dakota type digital gages imbedded in the MK1 speedometer?

My current speedo skips 2/10 every 10 miles or so  I find, and regardeles, I now only watch my speeds on my GPS anyway, and what I really need the speedometer for is odometer and tripmeter.

I have a spare, that once was used, seems I ran it up to 147K, and put a unit with 40K in it when I repowered from the 1.6N to 1.9TD.

Nevertheless, I'd like the capability to recalibrate my speedo to tire size, as I want to experiment with mileage and tire size some more.

Plus I want more toys on my gages, like pyrometer, boost built in, oiil temps, and I hate looking down at the console at the shifter.

Whenever I tackle a new project, I alway ask who has done something similar before.  The second guy has a better chance, perfecting  the build.

so who has replace the speedo and clock with digital gages?   what, which, how?

Wayne

Reply #1November 17, 2013, 10:54:14 am

CRSMP5

Re: 81 Caddy Speedometer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:54:14 am »
someone used a tablet on poortex...

but replied to your bst ad... with info on how to get it fixed if you are "not big ball enough" to try... there are things i understand like taking apart a ip pump.. but speedo head... if it was difficult theives would not figure it out back when cracking rolling them back was too common... back pre interwebz/cell phone days....

now.. speedo.. mods... my fav is the boost and diesel tach into 81 german cluster... they all needed a boost gauge installed... but it took me a bi tof time.. made that in 97ish.. ill have to go dig for pics... but you could fit 4 assesory type vdo gauges where the clock is if you took them apart.. and used a tach facia to eliminate the time setting screw post..

with newer digital stuff.. id look at the option of eliminating the clock..this way the original fuel gauge is good to go.. you will not find any that accepts vw's ohm range to read right.. move it to middl etemp spot.. rewire plug to change its sensor source.. easy to get temp gauge and new sensor vs fuel gauge..

this way you still got your idiot lights.. proper speedo for miles and referance speeds... for those 10 min trips you do not feel like pulling out gps..  and digital display with button to scroll thru what you wanna see for your clock replacement... id go find a mfa style wiper switch to use its push biutton.. this way you can also add factory cruiz to it via the ts switch.. just gotta mod the speedo head for the speed pick up sensor.. again easy..

Reply #2November 18, 2013, 05:41:10 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 05:41:10 pm »
I already have cruise control and intermitten wipers.  My issue is I like numbers not dials and needles.  I also want to experiment with tire sizes and power & mileage.  I'd like to reset my speedo.

I use this little truck as a daily driver.  Southern rust free and I don't hesitate doing maintenance and upgrades to it.  It does not resemble the anemic 1.6N it started out as, and as I upgrade, I'd like to fix the stuff I don't like.  Been driving for 20 years this 32 year old truck, looks like I be driving it for another 20 year or more. 

It hit me, the speedo sux.  I use the ODOMETER/TRIP and fuel gage, the rest is garbage.  I hate looking at the shifter console gages.  My tach is top left, my speed center, my GPS top Right and my volt, oil temp, Oil Press on console

I save a lot of money driving this truck.  I don't mind investing back into it.  My last car payment was 1986, so every once in a while I drive another car, while I do a major upgrade
to one of my rigs.  Its just I like this little truck.  When people see my big ole self get out of it, first they wonder why I drive it and then there is the falicy that all of them get 50 MPG, so I'd like a gage set with a little more. 

A tablet? 

ANYWAY, back on topic:  something like this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-vfd31009b/overview/

or set of these replacing speedo and clock

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-vfd3-1004-t/overview/

or these

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-ret-2000-s-z/overview/

Reply #3November 18, 2013, 10:37:44 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:37:44 pm »
 i pad type tablet to replace instrument cluster... someone did on poortex on a mk1...

Reply #4November 20, 2013, 05:14:45 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 05:14:45 pm »
Looked there at that site I cannot mention on this site and could not find a posting on I-Pads used for speedometer and gages.

Saw something somewhere, but cannot remember, likely there.  Don't believe that will help me.  but would read if someone wrote posted a good system

Reply #5November 22, 2013, 01:30:50 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 01:30:50 pm »
Fav gauge setup ever still.

http://www.davebarton.com/240rsportset200.jpg

I always figured that was doable with a rabbit dash, more or less.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #6November 24, 2013, 06:50:35 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 06:50:35 pm »
This one may be the one:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=211/category_id=233/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd211.htm
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm?ptype=results_w&mode=zoom&image=prd_zm_211.gifPicture:
Oval 4.25 x 12

•Displays included with this instrument system: Speedometer (0-255 MPH or KPH), Tachometer, Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Voltmeter, Fuel Level.
•Also shown is: Odometer, Trip Odometer, Resettable Service Odometer and Hourmeter.
•Several performance calculations include: 0-60 MPH (0-100 KPH) timer, ¼ mile timer, ¼ mile speed display, High Speed recall and High RPM recall.
•Various Indicators can also be displayed such as: Turn Signals, High Beam, Check Engine, Parking Brake, Cruise Control, 4x4 (when equipped), Wait to Start (when equipped).
•Automatic Transmission gear indicator is also included which will display the full name (ie: Park, Overdrive, etc.) of the current gear. Utilizing the gear position indicator will require the use of a Dakota Digital GSS-2000 sending unit.
•Dakota Digital instruments systems also include a Demonstration Mode which will cycle the instrument readouts while the vehicle is standing still. This is especially popular while the vehicle is on display at a show, event or simply displaying the instrument system.
•Full Metric conversions will cycle between MPH or KPH with the press of a button. If full (Celsius & KPH) metric instrument systems are required, please specify upon ordering.
•Necessary sensors included for oil pressure (1/8” NPT), Water Temp (1/8" with bushings for 1/4", 3/8", 1/2” NPT as well 12mm and 16mm for GM LS applications) and speedometer pulse generator.
•Fuel level gauge can read either OEM sensor, or any aftermarket style currently available. A universal fuel level sender, SEN-06-1, can be purchased from Dakota Digital if necessary.
•Fully programmable speedometer for various tire sizes, rear-end gearing combinations, etc.
•Built-in dimmer will reduce the display intensity as headlights/ parking lights are activated.
•Fully adjustable warning points alert the user of potential vehicle problems.
•One-time user settable odometer.  This is available only within the first 100 miles of operation.  Once exceeded, the mileage can be reset by Dakota Digital at a charge of $20.

Fixmyvw.com