S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Later model radiator, AAZ diesel hose connections - Vanagon  (Read 2732 times)

October 20, 2013, 09:14:04 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
Later model radiator, AAZ diesel hose connections - Vanagon
« on: October 20, 2013, 09:14:04 am »
Can someone tell me the proper hose connections with a 1.9 AAZ diesel and the later model radiator?

The hose from the side of the block goes to which port on the newer style radiator (both ports are next to each other - on the bottom right, passenger side). And the hose from the water pump goes to "the other".

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,

Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #1October 20, 2013, 11:19:33 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Later model radiator, AAZ diesel hose connections - Vanagon
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 11:19:33 am »
The Vanagon rose routing to the radiator is reversed from every other car.  The hot coolant is sent into the bottom of the radiator and the return to the engine is from the top.  If memory serves, the angled nipple is coming from the top of the radiator and so would go to the bottom of the water pump.  The fitting facing straight down is the hot from the center of the head. 

Reply #2October 20, 2013, 01:27:33 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 01:27:33 pm »
The Vanagon rose routing to the radiator is reversed from every other car.  The hot coolant is sent into the bottom of the radiator and the return to the engine is from the top.  If memory serves, the angled nipple is coming from the top of the radiator and so would go to the bottom of the water pump.  The fitting facing straight down is the hot from the center of the head. 

Thanks libby,
Here's a shot of my two choices.

One points to the ground (as you mentioned) and I assume it is the lower section of the rad. The other angled fitting seems to come from the top with the previous down-pipe integrated into the plastic housing so I assume that goes to the hose from the pump.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #3October 20, 2013, 01:55:01 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 01:55:01 pm »
I had a chance to look at my van and at the Bentley.  I described those in reverse.  Look at the Vanagon Bentley 19.12.  It shows that the fitting that points at the ground goes to the engine (water pump) and the angled fitting comes from the engine/head.

Reply #4October 20, 2013, 02:08:19 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 02:08:19 pm »
I had a chance to look at my van and at the Bentley.  I described those in reverse.  Look at the Vanagon Bentley 19.12.  It shows that the fitting that points at the ground goes to the engine (water pump) and the angled fitting comes from the engine/head.

Dead on - I sometimes forget to look at the Bentley. I also over-think things and couldn't remember if the pump pushed out coolant to the rad or sucked it in ;D

Thank you sir

Fixmyvw.com