General Information > Smoke Tales

Bullying Left Lane Lazy Drivers

(1/9) > >>

DogDiesel:
Here on the east coast, as you pass Washington DC, civility on the road is oftentime replaced by selfishness and inconsiderate driving, and in some cases bullying.  For some reasons, obvious and not-so-obvious, drivers move to the left and put it on cruise control (esp in MD).  Sometimes at the speedlimit, sometimes slightly above the speed limit and in many cases below the speedlimit.  Pulling up behind these drivers and being patient will simply not result in yielding to the right and allowing you to pass.  Thus, from DC to NY, you have to pass on the right far too often.  
Some left-lane-lazy (L3) drivers go further and ‘own-the-road’ thinking their control of the left lane creates safety and they set the pace.  I have observed these drivers speed up when you attempt to pass them on the right.  Hence Bullying L3 driving.  Which leads me to the point of my posting.  I have two vehicles, I thoroughly enjoy driving, because, if I want to pass you, you are going to get passed.  In most cases, there is nothing you can do about it.  One is my Caddy, now with a Giles pump, and the other is my Chevy pickup with a 6BT Cummins.  With both, I actually enjoy waiting until the freeway is going upgrade, put the blinker on and ‘whip’ around these L3 drivers, and in many cases that’s it.  I have had a few, that speed up and try to pass me and own the lane.  Normally, I like this, I love to find a ‘rabbit’ to set the pace and get the ticket, and if they fit that mold, I am good with it, but if they simply slow back down and go on cruise, which some will, THEY WILL GET PASSED again.  We can do this all day, and with my little Caddy, I’ll do it cheaper.

Throttle dispipline is do-able but with all power, it is intoxicating and it's easy to become a diesel power crack-head.  Too bad I can't make smoke on demand, like I could with one of my older pickups.  Both these will make exhaust plume but really won't make smoke, but they make 'move' well!

libbydiesel:
Do you ever feel that the 'correctness' of the behavior of the other driver's might occupy too much of your own head space?  I know I do.  Do you ever feel that perhaps going with the general flow of traffic rather than trying to go faster than the general flow of traffic might actually be more fun?  I definitely feel that way.

Syncroincity:
No, he's talking about willful, on-purpose ass-hattery by the American Anti-Destination League. NJ and NY are plagued with these mickey mouse  who feel it's their God-given right to drive slow in the passing lane. They get indignant at the suggestion they move over to the TRAVEL lane to allow everyone else to proceed at a normal pace. They are the single biggest cause of road-rage and reckless driving due to drivers attempting to find a path around them.
There is a special place in hell for these people. It's all about them, you do not matter, no one matters but them.
[/rant]

libbydiesel:
I hear you.  My perspective is that any time that I spend using my mind to focus on other drivers and what they do when they aren't actually within my sight is too much, unless, of course, I enjoy thinking about them.  The 'mmm, diesel-power' feeling I can grok with satisfaction.  I guess I'm glad there's folks out there willing to try to 'teach the idiots a lesson'.  I've just never personally found any bang for buck there.  I tend to be satisfied with other driver's who are anywhere within 5MPH above or below the speed limit and relegate them into the 'reasonable' category as long as they're not aiming for me.  Then again, I don't live in NJ or NY, thankfully.     

745 turbogreasel:
We seem to have a lot of them on the Cali coast too,  go inland 25 minutes, and most of the people you encounter know  how to drive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version