Author Topic: how much luck....  (Read 3704 times)

Reply #15October 18, 2013, 11:02:15 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: how much luck....
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 11:02:15 pm »
If there is force acting on the sprocket tooth during torquing when holding the sprocket then why didn't the sprocket move relative to the crank when I torqued it after removing the tooth completely?  I removed enough metal that prior to hand tightening the bolt I could spin the sprocket freely on the crank and yet once the crank bolt was hand tight, the sprocket never moved even a smidge relative the crank during the whole torque procedure.  

Reply #16October 18, 2013, 11:13:52 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 11:13:52 pm »
but thats just it.. if you were to put a scale on the end of the crank to measure.. with your west virginian pully something had to slip.. may not be much right now.. but i garentee.. if you had it running i bet it would drive nice for upto 500+ miles.. but one day.. it will somehow slip and then you have aaz style crank snout issues...

i like your photo and all.. but 1/4 turn.. the load is on the face of the pully and into the crank shaft.. its not a taper fit like cam.. that tooth takes alot of force when used as a dead stop.. and thats what its doing in my brain...

Reply #17October 19, 2013, 10:58:38 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 10:58:38 am »
I think you are imagining the twisting force between crank and sprocket during torquing to be similar to that which occurs when the engine is running where torque is applied to the crank by the expanding burning gases and the sprockets motion is resisted by the inertia of the pump, cam and accessories.  Nothing even remotely close to those opposing forces occurs during torquing where the torque is applied to the bolt instead of the crank and the crank and sprocket are held solidly together by the friction on their mating surface.  While tightening the bolt, the only opposing rotational forces between the crank and sprocket are the rotational force put on the sprocket by the friction between the face of the bolt and the outer face of the sprocket and the rotational force put on the crank by the fine thread ramps of the bolt/crank interacting.  Both of those forces are minuscule compared to the MUCH greater force of friction between the face of the crank and the inner face of the sprocket.   No matter which you hold, the key locates the one in relation to the other and no matter which one you hold you aren't going to damage the key during torquing.

S-PAutomotive.com