S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Headlamp relay kits.  (Read 3598 times)

October 15, 2013, 05:02:16 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
Headlamp relay kits.
« on: October 15, 2013, 05:02:16 pm »
The standard Mk2 Golf headlamp circuit is a poor design. Fed from the ignition switch, other crappy switches,  and a zillion fuses usually robs 3v by the time the electrickery gets to the bulbs.

That is why a relay kit is a very good idea and I have been happy with mine for the last five years.

Last night though in the middle of nowhere (lots of nowhere on Dartmoor!) headlights dimmed with a burning smell. Turn off lights and pull over. Open the bonnet to find the (kit) fusebox on fire, with the bonnet soundproofing felt trying to join the party.
Fortunately I managed to put it out.

Putting the lights on for an instant, the remains of the fuse lit up like a light bulb without blowing, and set fire to the plastic again.

So to get to the point. If you have one of these kits, chuck away the fuses supplied, as they are probably utter gash, and get something that will actually do the job better than a bent nail. ::)

My avatar says it all really.

Reply #1October 15, 2013, 10:42:24 pm

CRSMP5

Re: Headlamp relay kits.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 10:42:24 pm »
i build my own... few relays, terminals, used wire/free harness made from rear harness of scrap cars...

the harness between door/seat usually like new.. and will build lots...

you can use the x relays from fuse boxes too if you got supply of used... but bosch ones $9ish... also rated at 30 amp... so it in its self is a 30amp fuse.... yes.. i do...

Reply #2October 16, 2013, 07:00:03 am

rs899

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 07:00:03 am »
I have got one half made that I can't seem to get around to finishing and installing.  Every time I flick the lights on I mentally kick myself.
'91 Jetta 1.6 NA, '82 Caddy 1.6NA, '81 Cabriolet,  4 Mercedes OM616/617s , 2 Triumphs and a Citroen DS19 in a pear tree.

Reply #3October 16, 2013, 10:03:30 am

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:03:30 am »
Put in a set of 3 relays on Rusty; 2 for the running lights and one for the the passenger side bright.  Also put in a 4th for the driver side bright but when i turned on the brights it would trip the cooling fan on and when turning on the cooling fan manually (the fan is wired to either trip by a manual switch or the radiator sensor) the lights would go on  :-[

So took that relay off;  it was mounted on the front lip of the radiator tray, probably too close to the radiator sensor/switch for the magnetic field of the relay.  Will someday just wire the drivers side bright into the passenger side bright relay.

Later read the much better design by the Missing Linx guy that only used two relays (& twice the common sense as mine).  He sells a kit but also has good DYI instructions.

Reply #4October 16, 2013, 11:31:58 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 11:31:58 am »
the bosch relays i used have 2 #87 terminals.. some have a 87 and a 87a.. not the same.. but duel 87 terminals = 1 rely for low 1 for high..

i also use them on back up light switches...  keeps from melting them..

and my fav... a way to power the light circuit so when you remove the key the parking lights cannot be left on.. very easy peasy 

Reply #5October 17, 2013, 06:47:49 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 06:47:49 pm »
Interesting... I have one of the relay kits from 4crawler on Jezzie... Rather than a fuse in a plastic holder it came with fusible links.  I'd imagine these are much safer as they don't have any opportunities to build up resistance like a cheap fuse holder would...
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #6November 01, 2013, 04:54:30 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 04:54:30 pm »
Just to clarify. It was the fuse itself that was the cause of the fire. Spend a few pennies for some OEM fuses from the scrapyard, and toss any cheap chinky fuses in the bin. Lesson learned. ::)

Reply #7November 17, 2013, 09:40:35 am

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 09:40:35 am »
I converted my Caddy to 100 watt bulb vs sealed beam, and my, my they are bright, but it started tripping the dimmer.

I would have nothing until it cooled then lights, then nothing.  relays fixed that.

Installed relays, and problem solves loss of light.   My bright lights are very bright, my dim lights are very good.

the task is simple, and while I had a multimeter on hand, was needed.  Wiring a relay is a 2 of 10 difficulty factor IMHO.

Wayne